PDA

View Full Version : Into the wild......but only for a week.

AndyV
12-04-2014, 08:17 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm not a wilderness survival expert, barely a beginner. But I have had an idea.

I want to go to Thailand, head south, find myself an island and live off the land for a week. Just camp out away from any form of technology and ideally away from any sort of population.

I have time to research but is this a completely foolish challenge? I don't plan on finding somewhere before I go I want to find it on a whim. But would like some advice on how to survive on a isolated beach/island for a week.

Thanks

Andy

hunter63
12-04-2014, 08:28 PM
Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome......
There is an intro section at
http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?14-Introductions

That would kinda give people an idea of your location, age, experience level.

Will need a passport, maybe visa, should have shots, and a guide to where you want to go.

Tokwan
12-04-2014, 09:13 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm not a wilderness survival expert, barely a beginner. But I have had an idea.

I want to go to Thailand, head south, find myself an island and live off the land for a week. Just camp out away from any form of technology and ideally away from any sort of population.

I have time to research but is this a completely foolish challenge? I don't plan on finding somewhere before I go I want to find it on a whim. But would like some advice on how to survive on a isolated beach/island for a week.

Thanks

Andy

Thailand is a country beside Malaysia....and I rode Thailand on my bike extensively that I do not need a GPS.
You will need a visa and make sure your visa covers the duration of your stay. Make sure you have all the documents. Thailand have a good control about foreigners walking to a piece of land and living there, which they do not take too kindly. My advice would be for you to contact americans or the "farangs" which means "western foreigners"..who are living in Krabi, Phuket or Pattaya and ask their advices on the legality or where to stay. That is the first thing you should do.
About surviving on an isolated beach or an island for a week, I suggest you enrol into a survival course and learn the basics , especially on shelter making, fire making, what to bring...how to get water, basic first aid , what to do for food...and be careful...snakes in Thailand are as in Malaysia...too many venomous species, and the sea snakes are really venomous...

Tokwan
12-04-2014, 09:15 PM
Learning some basic Thai ..(buy a book on its language...) so that you know how to response and ask for help..and learn their customs...would be a great big help...Sawadeekrap...!

natertot
12-04-2014, 10:58 PM
If you are a beginner, I would suggest trying this closer to home. National Forests are all over the place and do not require any fees/permits for a one week duration. This would solve all your international issues and besides, if you can't make it a week in your own back yard, why bother with someone else's?

That is one nice thing about the US. We have national parks in every type of ecosystem. If you master one, you can move onto another without having to go to another country.

crashdive123
12-05-2014, 06:29 AM
Yeah - a bit more info would be useful. Age, experience you actually have, current location. For all we know you are 17 and living in Australia.

MrFixIt
12-05-2014, 08:08 AM
If you are a beginner, I would suggest trying this closer to home. National Forests are all over the place and do not require any fees/permits for a one week duration. This would solve all your international issues and besides, if you can't make it a week in your own back yard, why bother with someone else's?

That is one nice thing about the US. We have national parks in every type of ecosystem. If you master one, you can move onto another without having to go to another country.

^^This. You stated that you have little to no experience. Jumping into it like you stated you want to could be a disaster. Start slow, learn from others with experience, and practice basic skills in your yard.
The time will come when you have the knowledge and mental preparations to go on your adventure.
Good luck!

natertot
12-05-2014, 12:22 PM
Yeah - a bit more info would be useful. Age, experience you actually have, current location. For all we know you are 17 and living in Australia.

Australia? As in "down under in your mom's basement" Australia?! :blink:

pete lynch
12-05-2014, 05:37 PM
Another drive by.

hunter63
12-05-2014, 05:56 PM
Another drive by.

I think so.....

I watched Peter Pan last night.....
I want to be a Pirate when I get big......

Rick
12-06-2014, 09:02 AM
I would too but those danged hats have feathers. That's a little too foo foo for me. Ya know?

LowKey
12-06-2014, 10:43 AM
But the earring is okay, right?

hunter63
12-06-2014, 11:10 AM
Yeah, maybe,......I wear feathers in my hat, and a earing sometimes........ but there was like....pixie dust and fairies?.......and flying?......

Far out, man.......kinda like the '60's

LowKey
12-06-2014, 05:07 PM
Peter Pan was on here at the house. They say I fell asleep in my chair a ways before the "I can fly" song happened.
I've seen a lot of bad live theatre in my long ago career in tech theatre, but nothing quite as bad as that. There were no bright sparks in any of the performances. Not even the dog.

Tokwan
12-07-2014, 09:43 PM
where is the OP? Gone?

pete lynch
12-08-2014, 05:52 AM
Drive-by troll most likely. We shouldn't feed them but it's hard to resist sometimes.
Especially when they make us think they really do want to run off to the wilderness and leave society behind.
I just assume whenever anyone joins and their first post is about going INTO THE WILD, they're either a troll or some dufus who just watched "Alone in the Wilderness" on PBS.

hunter63
12-08-2014, 02:09 PM
Drive-by troll most likely. We shouldn't feed them but it's hard to resist sometimes.
Especially when they make us think they really do want to run off to the wilderness and leave society behind.
I just assume whenever anyone joins and their first post is about going INTO THE WILD, they're either a troll or some dufus who just watched "Alone in the Wilderness" on PBS.

That pretty much nails it......kinda like back in my "Homesteading" days....that was before the survivor days....
Forum post were kinda like....
"Hello, I here to find out where I can get on of these homesteads?....That everyone live happy ever after on...?