PDA

View Full Version : Luxuries on long term hiking/camping

xjosh40x
12-01-2014, 09:25 PM
I have always noticed others when taking long hikes or camping for several days people always remember the added things needed apart from basic camping gear. Items such as baby wipes, hygiene products, chair. But the two things apart from those added neccesities I ALWAYS remember to bring on those long trips is one, a pillow and two, some candy. Too many times I've had friends go out on 3-5 days of camping to come back early or miserable. When you live a modern life and sleep with a pillow every night and turn around and not having one makes some miserable. And I always bring something sweet. Always a treat to get that sugar. I don't bring chocolate because the mess. Usually some starburst or gobstoppers. What type of camping luxuries do any of y'all always remember to stuff in the sack?

natertot
12-01-2014, 10:17 PM
I too, like to bring sweets. Starbursts are good, I also like M&M's since they don't melt too much. I also like bringing a tarp to make a shelter other than for sleeping. I find that it stinks to be confined to a tent during rain.

Tokwan
12-01-2014, 10:20 PM
Pillow is a must, coffee, powdered goats milk a Coleman Tent Fan...hehehe...its so freakin' humid here.

RangerXanatos
12-01-2014, 10:38 PM
I have taken pillows when camping on the ground. A hoodie or other article of clothing can be used but are not as comfortable.

When using a hammock I find I don't need one.

I've thought of takeing just a pillow cover and fill it with leaves, pine needles, etc to make a pillow without making it cumbersome.

Tokwan
12-01-2014, 11:07 PM
My pillow is the inflatable type..requires less packing space but comfy enough...

Batch
12-01-2014, 11:16 PM
I don't generally do sweets. I agree that a shelter that is other than you tent is a big deal. I take a pillow when car camping. Though, if I forget it I have never had a problem improvising one or doing without.

Only two things make my trip bad (sleepless). cold weather I am not prepared for. That means below 50 degrees. The other is mosquitoes. I prepare for both.

RangerXanatos
12-01-2014, 11:17 PM
I've always found the inflatable pillows uncomfortable and moves aroind a lot. Though I have used a gallon sized ziploc bag to take a nap with. Haha.

Something I like to take is a powdered drink so I won't always have just plain water. Usually for just one or two cups. I also like to have something flavored to drink in the car waiting for me when I get to it. Usually Gatorade or a canned tea.

Tokwan
12-01-2014, 11:20 PM
My henessy hammock has a mozzy net, but I still , like Batch, have a mozzy net for the face when I walk....sometimes youi do need it....and as for cold weather..I only prepare when I know I am going into the highlands.

crashdive123
12-02-2014, 06:36 AM
One of the things I've been using lately is Mio (the flavored water thingies). I have upped my water intake to at least 16 cups per day (usually more) and the flavoring seems to make it easier to do.

That being said - filtered puddle water is much better with some flavoring in it.

Fort fireman
12-02-2014, 09:56 AM
I love the Mio stuff. My wife however is really sensitive to the artificial sweeteners and gets migraines . At least that seems to be what she's narrowed it down to. I always carry a deck of cards with me. Just something to do once I've gotten all settled in and it doesn't take any room. Then of course alway a bag of trail mix.

finallyME
12-02-2014, 10:01 AM
Baby wipes for sure.

natertot
12-02-2014, 10:01 AM
There is something to be said for a little flavoring on the water. I use the "Propel" packages of individual servings. I hate carrying liquids other than water and a few first aid items.

On a comfort note, I have found a night time camping drink that I enjoy. Boil some water and pour about 8oz into a ten oz cup with the lemon "Propel" packet contents already in it. Mix well, then top of the cup with whiskey. Makes something similar to a "Hot Tottie". I also like this drink when I feel a cold or sinus issue coming on.

Rick
12-02-2014, 10:19 AM
I use the instant tea and coffee packets/bags. I enjoy tea and coffee whether it's hot or cold so a fire is optional to me.

Solar Geek
12-02-2014, 10:46 AM
Crash seriously, 16 cups? Is there some medical reason for this?

You can get water intoxication from too much water. I do straight 8 not counting coffee or other fluids. But 16 would give me NO time between drinking and getting rid of the water.....

RangerXanatos
12-02-2014, 11:03 AM
16 cups is a gallon. In Florida with high humidity and heat while working hard crawling under houses looking for pests, I could see drinking that much. Sitting most of the day in air condition I could easily drink half a gallon of straight water and used to do so.

I spent a week doing some exercises and healthy eating (nutrition and portions) and found it easy to drink 100 ounces of water even before supper. Only 128 ounces in a gallon.

natertot
12-02-2014, 12:24 PM
Ranger is spot on the water consumption.

Solar, you stated that you did 8 cups not counting all the other fluid intake. If you replaced all your other fluid intake with water, you'd probably be closer to 16 than you think. I am sure when crash said that, he was referring to times when he was not taking in anything but water. That is pretty much close to what all of us do when we go "deep in da woods".

crashdive123
12-02-2014, 02:39 PM
Yep - at least a gallon a day. Heat and humidity are part of it, but I also try and lead a very active lifestyle between work and play, so staying hydrated is a key. It also helps with losing/keeping weight off.

For consumption - I do not count any beverages with caffeine in them (diuretic) although my bladder does.

Winnie
12-02-2014, 04:20 PM
All of the above (sweets, chocolate, pillow, drink mixes, tarp for sitting under) I also have a small hip flask with something alcoholic, a mini radio and I always find room for a book.

Tokwan
12-02-2014, 10:11 PM
One tip if the inflatable pillow moves about..do not inflate them too hard...allow some sagg...

Phaedrus
12-03-2014, 01:51 AM
I rarely get to go on any long term trips lately, usually just two or three days if I'm lucky. I kind of like to take a few different kind of snacks though. One of my favorites is vacuum packed mixed nuts- especially pecans. I'll mix pecans and almonds, measure out 2 oz and seal 'em up. Two oz is a good snack amount, not a crazy amount of food but enough to give me a lift. A packable pillow is another little luxury I hate to leave home without. Lastly I will often have a tube of Muun flavor/electrolyte tablets along with me in case I get bored with plain water. Tea bags, too.

hunter63
12-03-2014, 02:47 PM
Coffee, pillow, flashlight........these are not luxuries....
Did applaud the coffee singles....

Rick
12-03-2014, 03:05 PM
Oh, uh, yeah. TP.

hunter63
12-03-2014, 07:05 PM
Oh, uh, yeah. TP.

This sounds like a "If you could have one luxury item" thread....LOL
Coffee over TP....

TXyakr
12-03-2014, 07:37 PM
Coffee with sweetner is high on my list, I wish I could live without this since it is a diuretic and causes dehydration and increases my need for water and potty breaks but dang I "need" it!

Can more easily live without inflatable pillow (rarely use mostly just for car and plane travel). Tiny Alite chair, but hammock or hammock sling chair with trekking poles and one tree is even lighter and more comfortable. Tiny fabric table made of carbon fiber arrow shafts tripod for camp stove not necessary but saves my old back.

Back to COFFEE!! If not SUL I like small French Press and coarse ground beans (paid $1.49 for BonJour 3 cup plastic at Thrift Store remove outer plastic handle which is not necessary). You can also buy Snow Peak Titanium for about $45 (on sale) and just use that as your everything pot or much cheaper GSI plastic model. A guy on backpackinglight made his own plunger/press for a wider standard Ti pot which was cool. BUT for truely "Super Ultra Light" I just use a small bag or container of instant coffee and scoop out spoonfull each day as I need it. Reduce wastefull bags of SB Via by dumping into just one container. Dang French Press can get you hooked on great coffee so nothing else ever tastes good again. You have been warned. Another option that I have not tried is that Presto MyJo that only requires Hot Water from your cook pot to use a Keurig style of coffee or tea disposable container:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Presto-MyJo-Single-Cup-Coffee-Maker/35495713

crashdive123
12-03-2014, 08:21 PM
Coffee while camping is not a luxury, it is a necessity as evidenced by its placement in the rule of 3's.

3 minutes without air
3 hours without shelter
3 days without water
3 weeks without food
3 nano seconds if you mess with a man's coffee

natertot
12-03-2014, 09:00 PM
3 milliseconds if you mess with a mans bacon......

Tokwan
12-03-2014, 09:02 PM
Dead if you take away my tent fan

Batch
12-03-2014, 10:36 PM
Yep - at least a gallon a day. Heat and humidity are part of it, but I also try and lead a very active lifestyle between work and play, so staying hydrated is a key. It also helps with losing/keeping weight off.

For consumption - I do not count any beverages with caffeine in them (diuretic) although my bladder does.

I buy bulk gallon waters from Sam's. I take a new gallon every day during the summer. I drank a full gallon today. Cooler months sometimes I just drink half a gallon.

hunter63
12-03-2014, 11:06 PM
This sounds like a "If you could have one luxury item" thread....LOL
Coffee over TP....

You can find stuff to wipe your butte in the wild....hard to find coffee.......

TXyakr
12-04-2014, 01:00 AM
Dead if you take away my tent fan
I agree with you on fans in the heat. Near the mouth of the Amazon (Belem) I used a fan all the time. Basically did not sweat for a few minutes a day after a cold shower while standing in front of a fan, slept in a cotton hammock with fan blasting on me.
Now in Texas I have two battery fans one with just 2 D cells for backpacking and one with 8 D cells for car and large canoe camping when temps never go below 80°F before dawn and humidity is high but nothing like a jungle. Some canoe camping friends of mine refuse to camp in the TX summer but they have not learned to use a hammock or to shower multiple times a day and move very slow from shower or river bath to hammock for bed/sleep time. It is a learned skill I guess. Fan not netting keeps blood sacking insects away. Bottom line fan may be essential.

Tokwan
12-04-2014, 02:38 AM
It is where I am...can't live without one.

finallyME
12-05-2014, 06:53 PM
You can find stuff to wipe your butte in the wild....hard to find coffee.......

I don't drink coffee, which is why baby wipes are #1.

Wise Old Owl
12-05-2014, 10:09 PM
Oh, uh, yeah. TP.http://www.kotulas.com/images/product/2000x2000/294/29447_2000x2000.jpg

Wise Old Owl
12-05-2014, 10:21 PM
My idea of a luxury item is a little different from you gear heads... My idea would be to have a wonderful female hiking partner aged 45-50 who is stoked in hiking light and fast... Any takers?

Damn I miss her....

natertot
12-06-2014, 01:44 AM
I don't know about camo TP. I think it would be a little hard to lose!

Duece
12-06-2014, 07:23 AM
I like to bring a six pack or 2,depending on how far i have to carry them,something really relaxing about having a cold beer by the fire after a nice hike

ClayPick
12-06-2014, 07:54 AM
There ya go!:thumbup:

TXyakr
12-06-2014, 10:51 AM
Alite chair is a luxury item I occasionally take when lightweight backpacking but this "One tree sling chair" designed by "Hog On Ice" is about 1/5th the weight at only about 3-4 ounces if you are already using trekking poles or found sticks.

http://youtu.be/TXOFR1DjRRw

Obvious disadvantage is that it is fairly technical to DIY/construct and assemble in the field. A simpler ultra light hammock chair requiring two trees/posts or one overhead branch OR a tiny fabric/tent pole chair (brands like Alite, REI and Helinox) is more popular with all but the most dedicated gram weenie.

TXyakr
12-06-2014, 11:27 AM
I don't know about camo TP. I think it would be a little hard to lose!
Nothing worse than seeing that white stuff all scattered about from folks that did not bury it deep enough or burn it with pj. Wild hogs dig it up ya know. So buy the camo if ur not going to burn it/bury it. just my opinion. joking.

Once I was canoeing with this inexperienced guy who just threw a roll in a plastic grocery store bag in the bottom of the canoe, it got soaking wet. He then asked to "borrow" mine. (LOL) Keep what you use buddy. Then he complained I had not brought enough. I only bring what I need. There is a river flowing right by, use this huge bidet, take your bag fill it with water and wash away buddy. OMG some people cannot "think outside the box".

Here is something else I pack with my toilet paper/pj/fire starter in a very small "dry bag" that acts as a back up (Bidet) if I run out of TP:

http://qiwiz.net/trowels.html

I consider this a requirement not a luxury, due to LNT, also a trowel is very useful for many other things.

Rick
12-06-2014, 12:13 PM
I always take TP out with me. I carry extra bags for that.

"Use toilet paper sparingly and use only plain, white, non-perfumed brands. Toilet paper must be disposed of properly! It should either be thoroughly buried in a cathole or placed in plastic bags and packed out. Natural toilet paper has been used by many campers for years. When done correctly, this method is as sanitary as regular toilet paper, but without the impact problems. Popular types of natural toilet paper include stones, vegetation and snow. Obviously, some experimentation is necessary to make this practice work for you, but it is worth a try! Burning toilet paper in a cathole is not generally recommended."

https://lnt.org/learn/principle-3

1stimestar
12-06-2014, 01:58 PM
Coffee and tp are not luxury items! And for regular coffee drinkers, they now know that coffee does not affect hydration. http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/01/13/262175623/coffee-myth-busting-cup-of-joe-may-help-hydration-and-memory

If backpacking I like to take a little bottle of whiskey. I don't drink enough to get drunk as that would be stupid in bear country, but a "sip" or two or three, sure does help with the sore muscles at night and sleeping well.

If just camping, yea I like a cold beer around the campfire.

WolfVanZandt
12-06-2014, 04:25 PM
Pillow, no, it's neither a necessity nor a want - my sleeping arrangements are usually comfortable without it. After the necessities are packed I would shove the luxuries in until I had no more space. My luxuries are camera, reading material, very portable scientific recreation equipment (according to what I will be wanting to do on the trip), I don't consider candy to be luxury - it's quick energy (and if you like dark chocolate, it's not so messy), oooh, maybe my MP3 player (it's tiny and I listen to books while I walk), bug spray, sun screen, whatever else that I think of while I'm packing.

Mind you, that's "used to" - if I backpacked now with a reasonable load, my heart valve would end me rather quickly. I'm down to really long day hikes and van camping.

xjosh40x
12-07-2014, 08:31 AM
A camera and some science equipment is a great idea. I think I'll have to pick up on that. I've always loved watching the animal and critters behave. Be cool to have some camera gear and other items to record them. There are a few spots I've camped at on some trails that have a pretty clear view of the night sky. I've always wanted to take a telescope and watch the stars but not wanting to haul around something bulky like that

TXyakr
12-07-2014, 01:19 PM
Coffee and tp are not luxury items! And for regular coffee drinkers, they now know that coffee does not affect hydration. http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/01/13/262175623/coffee-myth-busting-cup-of-joe-may-help-hydration-and-memory

If backpacking I like to take a little bottle of whiskey. I don't drink enough to get drunk as that would be stupid in bear country, but a "sip" or two or three, sure does help with the sore muscles at night and sleeping well.

If just camping, yea I like a cold beer around the campfire.

That was a very interesting article, perhaps my issue with caffeine is more psychological, I have been drinking very strong espreso etc since grade school on a regular basis.

"It's well understood that if you drink coffee habitually you can develop a tolerance to the potential diuretic effects of coffee," says study author Sophie Killer, a doctoral researcher at Birmingham.

Also as temperatures drop the body seems to attempt to regulate itself by getting rid of excess liquid which requires more calories to keep warm or perhaps this is also a myth. Regardless if actually physiological or psychological when on a long trip by car/motorcycle, canoe, horse etc in cold weather especially I try to drink a minimal amount of any liquid to minimize potty breaks. I.e. getting out of tent/hammock or stopping canoe or car to pee. Or you could do like those guys in that "Dumb and Dumber" original movie did. LOL I never do, a large opening empty sports bottle or pan for women is preferable.

A requirement for me are salts and minerals like those sold by Gatorade added to water, drink at least 1 liter/quart starting soon after I wake up in morning if I will hike or paddle many miles regardless of climate/temperatures. Generally dilute to 1/2 of recommended or full then drink extra amount of water. If I do not I will have muscle cramps and headaches.

TXyakr
12-07-2014, 03:08 PM
I have learned that if I keep the same type of sports bottle for hydration AND de-hydration in my shelter overnight the drinkable sports fluid should be blue or something other than yellow or orange so there is not an unfortunate mixup in low light. Nose all stopped up due to cold and condensation.
Catholes: yes it is often a very bad idea and prohibited to burn the paper or even dig a cathole. I have used ECO-safe toilet and DIY PVC devices on BLM and NPS canyons where even disposable wag bags were prohibited. All depends on the location. Personally catholes bug me, some of my favorite camping islands are ruined by them until a large flood comes and cleans them all out or wild hogs do. So appropriate depth for soil type or just wag bag or ECO-safe or whatever has least impact. OH and we always put the ECO-SAFE in a rocket box because if it gets cracked your canoe or raft can will get a little stinky. Short straw takes it home for clean out or pay a guy $20 at RV place to use power equipment to do it. LOL
I will look and find some photo of a toilet setup on the Kiamichi we had with a great view of the river, no tent over it that just harbors snakes.

Gary
12-11-2014, 09:12 AM
My wife and I bought a new queen bed several years ago and we were talked into trying several different types of expensive memory foam pillows. We ended up buying a different one each to the tune of $300.00 for both. We felt stupid after, having spent that much money, and vowed never to tell anyone lol. Turns out it was the best money I have spent in a long time. I always thought hotel beds and the bed at my parents house were uncomfortable until I brought my pillow with me. If I could take one thing backpacking with me it would hands down be that damn pillow. Unfortunately it is a bit of a weighty beast so it stays at home.

RangerXanatos
12-11-2014, 10:17 AM
My wife and I bought a new queen bed several years ago and we were talked into trying several different types of expensive memory foam pillows. We ended up buying a different one each to the tune of $300.00 for both. We felt stupid after, having spent that much money, and vowed never to tell anyone lol. Turns out it was the best money I have spent in a long time. I always thought hotel beds and the bed at my parents house were uncomfortable until I brought my pillow with me. If I could take one thing backpacking with me it would hands down be that damn pillow. Unfortunately it is a bit of a weighty beast so it stays at home.

I sleep with a memory foam pillow and really like it as well. But have you ever had one get cold? Those things get as hard as a brick!

Gary
12-12-2014, 01:38 PM
I sleep with a memory foam pillow and really like it as well. But have you ever had one get cold? Those things get as hard as a brick!

I have taken mine winter camping the last couple of years. It was below freezing but I honestly don't remember it being hard or uncomfortable. However, there may have been beer involved and I probably could have used a rock for a pillow and slept like a baby!!

1stimestar
12-12-2014, 02:53 PM
Hahha yea memory foam gets hard when cold. I normally just use my bag of socks, tshirts, and underwear for a pillow.

crashdive123
12-12-2014, 02:57 PM
Clean or dirty?

hunter63
12-12-2014, 03:09 PM
Clean or dirty?

Well they start out clean,.........

Rick
12-12-2014, 04:02 PM
Nothing like drifting off to slumberland with the smell of feet and pits in your face. I love the woods.

hunter63
12-12-2014, 04:13 PM
Nothing like drifting off to slumberland with the smell of feet and pits in your face. I love the woods.

Well ya see....you just use the clean ones...and as the week goes by...the pillow gets smaller and smaller....but it doesn't matter as by now you are so tired, that you could sleep on a rock anyway......when completely empty....time to go home.

So it works out.......

BTW always carry a small stick or stone....or both, to put under you sleeping bag or bed roll.... so it always feels the same, where ever you sleep.
That way you don't need to find a new one every night......just use the same sleeping stick/stone.

TXyakr
12-12-2014, 05:34 PM
If the clothing is in a roll top dry bag/sack covered with a fleece sweater it doesn't matter much it they are clean or dirty or even wet. It is much more time consuming but I have occasionally stuffed pine/fur branches or sand under the tent or canvas floor. Snakes and other critters enjoy this habitat. ;-)

1stimestar
12-12-2014, 06:47 PM
I put the dirty ones inside a bag and put that bag inside of the bag of clean ones lol. It's a plastic bag so nothing is getting through that!

pete lynch
12-13-2014, 06:35 AM
For a year-round treat to carry in your pack or bag, you cant beat Tootsie Rolls.
They dont melt...much.
I got that tip from Rick.

Rick
12-13-2014, 08:25 AM
See? And you guys thought I was just another pretty face with a hong.

Gary
12-14-2014, 01:19 AM
See? And you guys thought I was just another pretty face with a hong.

With a hong?? I dont know if i want anything to do with this lol

aflineman
12-14-2014, 02:59 AM
Coffee and a book. I have not taken my Kindle yet, but I think it may replace a paperback in my backpack. More books, less weight. Battery life is good, and I have some options for recharging (solar, battery pack, ect...) which also help with my GPS, when I decide to carry one.
TP and /or baby wipes are nice. I used to carry a towel and a must have, but have found a cheap cotton sweat jacket works double duty as a light jacket, towel, and if you stuff it into it's hood (or front pocket) it makes a passable pillow.

Traditionalist
12-31-2014, 07:34 AM
Toilet paper

wilderness medic
12-31-2014, 10:27 PM
Heading out for 5 days tomorrow. Only luxuries in my bag I see are a Jetboil for hot meals, and my GoPro to film. Oh, and a flashlight. Depends on what you consider a luxury. ^Toilet paper could seem like a necessity to some, and luxury to others. I might bring a pillow camping, but never hiking.

crashdive123
01-01-2015, 08:46 AM
Heading out for 5 days tomorrow. Only luxuries in my bag I see are a Jetboil for hot meals, and my GoPro to film. Oh, and a flashlight. Depends on what you consider a luxury. ^Toilet paper could seem like a necessity to some, and luxury to others. I might bring a pillow camping, but never hiking.

Have fun. Looking forward to your trip report.

wilderness medic
01-01-2015, 05:42 PM
Thanks. I can't wait. Leaving in less than an hour. I did add a pint of rum as a luxury :)

Hope I get some good video. Here we go…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DauP6-zBLgs

And glad I watched this video. Realized I don't have the snow/sand disk on my poles. Would have been useless on the beach!

crashdive123
01-01-2015, 08:02 PM
Looks like a really interesting area.

natertot
01-02-2015, 05:51 AM
Looks awesome! Be safe and bring back your experience.

Wildthang
01-02-2015, 10:29 AM
I think the term luxury takes on a whole new meaning in the wild. A good cup of coffee in the morning, a good meal at night, and a good cigar after dinner are all the luxury I need. Otherwise nature is the luxury most of the time!

wilderness medic
01-06-2015, 09:14 PM
Wow. Hike was beautiful. They brought "luxury" to a new level for me. I'm used to a solo hike with minimal gear. They brought fresh food for gourmet meals to share. Felt like a non contributing bum. Way different style to me. First time hiking with a group. Putting up video and pics as soon as i'm done editing. Beautiful hike.

crashdive123
01-06-2015, 09:18 PM
Glad you enjoyed it. Looking forward to the pics and vid.

Tokwan
01-06-2015, 09:27 PM
When I see the word "luxury", I see a 5" thick mattress, a 20' X 15' tent, fan, generator set, cooler boxes filled with beer, and a butler to do all the cooking.

Batch
01-06-2015, 10:12 PM
Looking forward to the pics and videos as well.

wilderness medic
01-06-2015, 11:22 PM
Almost done. A bit of editing on the nudity to make it family friendly LOL.

crashdive123
01-07-2015, 08:00 AM
When I see the word "luxury", I see a 5" thick mattress, a 20' X 15' tent, fan, generator set, cooler boxes filled with beer, and a butler to do all the cooking.

It's called glamping (glamorous camping). https://www.google.com/search?q=glamping+in+florida&rlz=1C1GGGE_enUS434&espv=2&biw=1600&bih=785&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=nB-tVLycGIyagwTel4OIAw&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&dpr=1

Adventure Wolf
01-07-2015, 11:15 PM
I went on a one week trip (why I haven't been here for awhile) anyway, I was about 10 miles from the nearest town. My luxury was taking my Ford Bronco and driving to a motel twice in the week to shower, shave, do laundry and then eat at a restaurant. That's what I call luxury. When I'm on a hunting trip, I don't spend more then three days in the wilderness if I can help it on accordance of my bad hip. Occasionally, especially if its cold, it will act up. This has kept me from the long expeditions I did some years ago.

dkr
01-17-2015, 03:23 PM
Luxury = a non-essential item that you have to hump for the full length of the trip. That is, needless weight is a luxury. I also take some kind of radio, usually a Icom R-2 or R-5 for the shortwave, if nothing else.

Had a couple fo buds out on a moose hunt over the Sept 11 timeframe. When the pick up aircraft was a no show, by day three they were nearly in a panic. Didn't help that all commercial (high flying jets) had gone AWOL.

I would give a good pint of Jack to be sitting at the campfire as they tried to figure out if the world had just ended....

hunter63
01-17-2015, 03:36 PM
..................I would give a good pint of Jack to be sitting at the campfire as they tried to figure out if the world had just ended....

Watching the tube Dec 20 2012, 11:30 PM.....Having a few brewskis
Satellite went out...so I called to see if it was really Doomsday.....
Lady says ......"No, just a thunder storm in your area"

So, I said, "Are you sure....we have about 5 minutes till TEOTWAWKI...?

She says, "No sir....storm....anything else I can help you with......?

Rick
01-17-2015, 03:45 PM
That would have been a funny conversation. Thanks for the chuckle.

dkr
01-17-2015, 03:57 PM
That would have been a funny conversation. Thanks for the chuckle.

I'm pretty sure they found the humor after their ride back showed up. A few pilots dropped newspapers on the first pass by some camps (multiple pickups) to let folks know what was going on....and to avoid getting shot.

wilderness medic
01-17-2015, 08:13 PM
Luxury = a non-essential item that you have to hump for the full length of the trip. .

Oh cool, so packing all this liquor isn't a "luxury" :shifty:

crashdive123
01-17-2015, 09:21 PM

Think of it as your daily allotment of several luxuries.

hunter63
01-17-2015, 09:34 PM
I think the term "rum ration" kinda say it all.....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rum_ration

dkr
01-17-2015, 11:13 PM

I guss that depends on what get finished first - you or the booze - or you because of the booze.

Everyone can make their own choices of course, but alcohol is such a...plague here that I don't want to be around folks that drink.