PDA

View Full Version : Where in Croatia do you suggest is it the best to go to live in the wild

projectfear22
11-16-2014, 02:31 PM
I wanted to maybe one day go and live into the wild forever

whats keeping me: age, feelings of parents, skills, food resources in the area

I live in Rijeka, Croatia and whatever mini forest I've gone to, they barely had any fruits, and I didn't notice any animals except birds or insects so I think that whatever forest I go to, that maybe I wouldn't be able to find any fruits or fish or some meat sources. I believe that it is possible to survive your whole life by only eating plants but I need more info on that

anyway if I ever go to the wild and I hope I will cause I've had enough of everything, where do you think is the best to go/how do you think can I decide a place to live at, it must be in Croatia and far away from "civilization" and tourists/hikers, I'm scared for food resources

The best would be to go to Canada or Amazon or idk where but I'd need a Visa or something to get to America or Asia or anywhere I think and I'm not informed on that mhm system

hunter63
11-16-2014, 02:55 PM
Well since it's has been since 1-16-2014 that you asked pretty much the same question.......had about 10 months to process the answers....
http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?24504-living-in-the-wilderness&p=423293#post423293

Sounds like you learned that finding easy game and plants for year around use is pretty hard....and that the location is pretty much the same in your country....I gonna guess the rest of it is the same.

As I don't leive there I really can't comment on your area...and the fact that your plan starts at 40?......should give to time for practice.

projectfear22
11-16-2014, 03:16 PM
Well I've seen that somewhere up in a grey background text it said that I had no posts even though I thought I had a topic.. So once I read that I made this topic and then I noticed I already had a similar topic but ehh it's not really helping. Anyways it's not necessarily 40 but anyway since a few months that passed I'd like some other members to suggest as well on everything I wrote.

Also do you share my belief that humans can survive forever on just plants or even just grass?
if you disagree or somewhat disagree, what would you do if you wanted to live in the wild but your country had barely any animals you can hunt or lacks fruit trees? I've been in 2 which I believe are big forest filled zones in Croatia (Gorski Kotar and Istra) but I haven't noticed any fruit trees around where I walked, yeah I didn't go deep into the forest but there should've been some, maybe I just didn't pay attention to it but still they were mostly filled with big trees and flowers

wilderness medic
11-16-2014, 04:13 PM
Also do you share my belief that humans can survive forever on just plants or even just grass?

No. You will be unhealthy for a while and eventually die with out a supplement. Vitamin B12 is not found in any plant and is vital for metabolism, creating new blood, and brain and heart function. Most vegans are critically low on B12 and a lot have actually died from it. Vegan mothers have also killed they're children from starving them of B12. Supplements are needed.

hunter63
11-16-2014, 05:21 PM
No, I don't...balance in diet is needed.

if you disagree or somewhat disagree, what would you do if you wanted to live in the wild but your country had barely any animals you can hunt or lacks fruit trees? My belief is that is not where you want to live.

I've been in 2 which I believe are big forest filled zones in Croatia (Gorski Kotar and Istra) but I haven't noticed any fruit trees around where I walked, yeah I didn't go deep into the forest but there should've been some, maybe I just didn't pay attention to it but still they were mostly filled with big trees and flowers
Have you done any research to see what wild fruits or edible plant are supposed to be there? are even in you forests?

IMHO, Your really need to see what is available in that area, practice foraging hunting and fishing skills as well ad all other skills need to actually live there
Shelter, water, fire......
Good luck in your adventure.

LowKey
11-16-2014, 06:45 PM
Humans cannot survive on grass. Unless you mean grain grass. Which you will harvest when it's ready to be harvested.

I'm not from Croatia. But most countries have rules and regulations regarding setting up camp in state owned forests or on private property, and hunting game in or out of season. Most require licenses for hunting.

According to the interwebs the Gorski Kotar region is very bio-diverse. Everything from fish to brown bear and from mushrooms to tree fruits like chestnuts and figs. The thing with tree fruits? You can only harvest them when they are ready to be harvested once a season.

Living off the land is hard work. Doing it alone is harder work. Doing it an not getting arrested? Can it be done in your country?

kyratshooter
11-16-2014, 11:44 PM
I am not even going to get started on this one, he will not be back to read it for another year anyway.

hunter63
11-17-2014, 09:25 AM
I am not even going to get started on this one, he will not be back to read it for another year anyway.

Most likely correct....
from Jan....

hi I'm 17 yr old (18 on the 29th this month) from Croatia and I was thinking maybe when I get 40 years old or so go live in the wilderness, today's world is just awful, and humans living with nature was Gods intention anyway, also its a great place to learn all the qi gong, tai chi, chakra stuff i started to believe in since last year, doubt that I'll do it unless I get someone to be with me together

was wondering can you give me tips or links or anything to learn everything about the wild, If i go to the wild I guess I'd go o Asia not sure though

finallyME
11-17-2014, 10:21 AM
Your only chance is to get out of Europe. Go to Siberia.

tjwilhelm
11-17-2014, 11:19 AM
Survive your whole life only eating plants? That's not food...that's FOOD's food!

crashdive123
11-17-2014, 01:50 PM
You CAN survive your whole life only eating grasses.

Of course, it will be a very short life.

wilderness medic
11-17-2014, 02:03 PM
You CAN survive your whole life only eating grasses.

Of course, it will be a very short life.

:laugh::laugh:

BENESSE
11-17-2014, 02:48 PM
As far as where you can go.
Croatia used to be part of former Yugoslavia whose territory was 75% mountainous. Check out the Julian and Karavanke Alps in Slovenia. https://www.google.com/search?q=mountains+in+slovenia&client=firefox-a&hs=R7S&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=kkFqVP4GsrSwBL7KgcAJ&ved=0CLIBELAE&biw=1382&bih=1130

Dinaric Alps and Carpathian Mountains in Serbia. https://www.google.com/search?q=mountains+in+serbia&client=firefox-a&hs=D2S&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=TkBqVJvzJ67bsASXg4KQBA&ved=0CPkBELAE&biw=1382&bih=1130

That territory can be as fierce and challenging as you want to make it. Why in the world would you want to go anywhere else when you have that under your nose...and need no visa to access it?

And yes, you can survive and thrive on a vegan diet (no meat, seafood or animal products like milk, eggs and cheese, for example) but not on grass. You just have to educate yourself about it from legitimate sources.

wilderness medic
11-17-2014, 04:58 PM
And yes, you can survive and thrive on a vegan diet (no meat, seafood or animal products like milk, eggs and cheese, for example) but not on grass. You just have to educate yourself about it from legitimate sources.

Really? Where do you get your B12?

BENESSE
11-17-2014, 05:30 PM
Really? Where do you get your B12?

One would need daily supplements or eat food that is fortified with it. Obviously if you are out in the wilderness for years you won't get it on a vegan diet but you will not die from a deficiency either.

wilderness medic
11-17-2014, 06:24 PM
One would need daily supplements or eat food that is fortified with it. Obviously if you are out in the wilderness for years you won't get it on a vegan diet but you will not die from a deficiency either.

That was my impression. You need daily supplements, or you risk death. B12 is required to live. No B12=death after so long.

likota
11-18-2014, 09:43 AM
Hi. I happend to live in area as described above (Ličko-senjska županija), especially here in the Velebit mountain range where I live. In some places there is a higher population of bears than people.

I can't comment on the vegan lifestyle part due to lack of experience (and interest).