PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Film Canisters

crashdive123
04-20-2008, 10:54 AM
Many on here have posted about the virtues of using the plastic film canisters that 35mm film comes in as water proof containers for tinder kits, etc. Many on the forum use digital cameras (as evidenced by another thread and the pictures that people share). I haven't bought any 35mm film in years. So, here's an idea where you can get the containers if you don't buy film anymore. I recently went to a couple of the big box drug stores in town and talked with a representative in the photo department. When they get in one of those disposable cameras they reload it with film and resell it. (it's only disposable to you and me) As a result of this, they stock alot of 35mm film that is not for general sale. They were more than happy to give me a bunch of the containers. When asked how many I wanted I jokingly said 100 or so. The guy said sure, but you have to take the film out. So 100 35mm film cansiters free of charge. I'm in the process of making a whole bunch of char cloth kits for some of the local Boy Scouts.

Sometimes there's free stuff out there - just gotta ask.

dilligaf2u2
04-21-2008, 02:25 AM
I carry one of the plastic film canisters marked in 1/4 oz increments for my alcohol stove fuel measuring cup.

I have a set of salt & pepper tops for the the plastic film canisters and for a weekend these hold just enough.

For individually wrapped meds and other small want to keep dry items, they are great.

Don

Aurelius95
04-21-2008, 06:52 AM
Great idea Crashdive. I was contemplating whether I should buy those small Nalgene containers instead of film cannisters, as I have not purchased film since 2002 or 2003. I'll have to head to a drugstore/camera shop instead. Thanks for the info.

By the way, I keep all my spices in thse canisters when hiking/camping.

Rick
04-21-2008, 08:09 AM
I had contacted a Walgreens several weeks ago about the same thing. He told he didn't have any on had but would call me when he had some. He either forgot me or I'm going to have to take the truck to pick them up. I have no idea what I'll do if he calls with 2000 canisters.:eek:

Riverrat
04-21-2008, 11:47 AM
With the coins we have here in canada, they are great to keep the one and two dollar coins in as well. can keep $25 in ones and, I think, $40 in twos. keep a couple in the car, nice little insurance to have. We also use them to keep medical gloves in for the fire department, keeps them from getting torn before they are needed.

Ole WV Coot
04-23-2008, 08:51 AM
I personally keep extra ammo to take your coins. A S&W Mod 60, which I carry in the truck is 5 shot and a canister holds exactly 5 38s. Kinda like several dump pouches and keeps ammo together, easy to find in the dark etc.

Rick
04-23-2008, 10:44 AM
I personally keep extra ammo to take your coins.

That's a bit like a pair of kings beats your queens.:rolleyes:

trax
04-23-2008, 04:21 PM
That's a bit like a pair of kings beats your queens.:rolleyes:

I think it's a bit more like armed robbery, but hey tomayto tomahto right?

Chicago Dan
04-25-2008, 02:59 PM
Thanks CrashDive123

I also have not bought 35mm in about 7 years and my supply of canisters is now exhausted.

I will be asking around about this.
I have almost an unlimited amount of places to check so that's not an issue.
Getting them to sell them...Nobody here will fart without written approval from someone in upper management. This could get passed up the chain of command through countless levels of people unwilling/unable to render a decision themselves. Anywhere along that journey it will get refused, lost or
more probably ignored.

Anyhoo, I will give it a try.
Thanks again good idea.

ATough
04-25-2008, 03:05 PM
I'll have to give that at try Walgreens.

thanks crash.

LarryB
04-26-2008, 09:34 AM
Hey there Crashdive, Great thread you typed here! :-) :) I too am still filling some from a batch I scored at a regular, ol' fashioned "photojoint" much like your score @ the drigstore Photo departments, a few years back.

These things have been totally and thoroughly field tested by MANY people from all over and they do work and work well, to be sure. To me, they should be in EVERY Survival kit and even stashed in places on and in your gear and pockets. :cool:

Thanx for re-introducing the venerable film can, my man! :D

later,

lb