PDA

View Full Version : Shelter in Place?

taiarain
02-15-2007, 12:16 PM
Does anybody remember the hype about plastic sheeting and duct tape?

Okay, I honestly never bought into the idea that plastic and tape were actually going to do a whole lot in the event of a radioactive event - not to mention I don't have any houseplants to generate oxygen, however...

I did realize that my emergency kit was lacking in that regard. My camping supplies are stored separate from the emergency kit and may not always be reachable if I need to grab and go. That concerned me so I added rolls of plastic sheeting and tape that can be used to help fashion a waterproof shelter if needed.

Does anyone here keep shelter-in-place supplies?

vicki2
02-15-2007, 04:16 PM
Everything is down in the basement ...not all together but close enough to find quickly. I do keep stuff in the trunk of the car too.

tater03
02-15-2007, 07:21 PM
I keep stuff in the trunk but I never thought about duct tape or plastic for a shelter. Makes sense though. Thanks for the idea.

Minwaabi
02-15-2007, 10:26 PM
I keep most of that stuff in the car. I've got a tent and blankets among other things. (Most of my friends just think I'm nuts, especially in the summer when I have bows and arrows, rifles, rafts, fishing gear and other assorted items. (But that's less survival equipment and more me being lazy.)

vicki2
02-16-2007, 12:10 PM
Duct tape is a staple in this house ...for all sorts of reasons. It's one of those completely indispensable products!

thinkfree3
02-16-2007, 06:02 PM
Duct tape is awesome, as for shelters... if i ever really need one i'll just make one. Plastic or a tent is nice to have handy. I would recommend getting a quality tent if your into the comfort thing. Tent's though don't provide much insulation so you would need a good sleeping bag to go with that if you live in a cold place. I recommend keeping a small survival kit in your car and one in your home. just remember that the more functions a item can be used for the better it is, also try to avoid duplicity. Plastic can be great for collecting water. duct tape can be great for everything. As for building shelters, i recommend reading some of tom browns books as well as the link on this site that talks about it. I think it's important to observe nature and see how the critters deal with the shelter issue. A few general ideas though if your just building one is don't be afraid to get dirty, pack lots and lots of stuff on it, leaves grasses and so on at least 2 foot thick for insulation. put leaves and grasses on the inside for bedding. start small and later on if your going to be there for a while maybe build something larger but the larger you go the harder it will be to keep heat. face openings east and avoid places that might flood or have ants an that sort of thing.

thinkfree3
02-16-2007, 06:03 PM
oh, and practice now, makes for an interesting day outing but try to use stuff thats already dead, no need to keep killing stuff randomly

mamab
02-17-2007, 01:30 PM
I homeschool my boys. My husband's really more into the hunting/fishing/camping/survival than I am. I can do it, I just prefer my "creature" comforts. I think having my kids learn to prepare for an emergency would be a good project when the weather gets a little warmer. I'd hate for them to get frostbite now! It could be a really good learning experience for all of us, and help us be familiar with what needs to be done in case of an emergency.

rusty_oxydado
07-13-2007, 11:12 PM
Living a good part of my life in the woods, nearly all of it on someone elses land I had to deal with the bug out issue, some times I was given an hour to get all of my stuff loaded up before they came to trash my shanty.
I have rolled up with my bed roll (sleeping bag,) a tarp I can use as a ground cover, if it should rain in the middle of the night it was a simple matter to pull the tarp over me to keep me and the bed roll dry.
If I wasn't in much of a hurry I would locate an ancient windfallen log laying cross wise on a side hill. A few stakes driven into the top of the log to hold fast the tarp, a couple of poles tied to the other end of the tarp held taunt by guy lines affored me a nice enough roof. The under side of the logs generally are all punk with dry rot, and they carve away nicely providing a soft dry place of punk to lay my bed roll under the logs protection.
Geology may play a lot towards the kind of shelter you will make for your self, you may well need to find what method works best for you.

Rusty.

bear
07-14-2007, 01:21 PM
I always keep a roll of duct tape and a piece of plastic in my survival and camping gear. I keep all of my camping gear in my shed along with a ruck sack full of survival gear. I also keep a waterproof box of different items in my vehicle. If I am in a hurry it takes me less than a minute to load everything up.

rusty_oxydado
07-23-2007, 04:16 PM
So far as I read you are doing good, developing your skills, and learning new things about yourself.
Learn you can do it, you can do it with a minimal of anything. Put yourself to the test. Pull over to the side of the road in the country somewhere and step off into the brush, find a spot, and fix it up for housekeeping.
Each time you try this go with less gear, learn to make shelter from what materials that are on hand provided by nature, you will surprise yourself in what little you can get by on.
Sure, the first few days will be rough, but as you make improvements things will get better.
Learn to use your most leathal weapon. . . Your Mind!