PDA

View Full Version : Survival Tips Or Common Sense?

crashdive123
10-18-2014, 10:16 PM
This offers some tips that many would probably call just plain ole common sense. Good information nonetheless IMO. http://news.discovery.com/adventure/survival/top-10-survival-tips-every-hiker-should-know-131107.htm

hunter63
10-18-2014, 10:36 PM
Sadly there are a lot of people that should write these down.......and for us that do think and do these things...a reminder never hurts.

Rick
10-19-2014, 08:32 AM
Good reminders for all of us. Good post.

BornthatWay
10-19-2014, 08:33 AM
It is just scary the number of people that have no common sense and sadly it is only going to get worse with so many dependent upon their smart phone to find the answer to everything.

LowKey
10-19-2014, 11:35 AM
It's more because critical thinking skills aren't allowed in today's schools coupled with the advent of cell phones.

Good list. Good reminder.

Rick
10-19-2014, 12:20 PM
Jeese, Parents have a responsibility too. Whether schools teach anything doesn't matter. Parents should be the best and first teacher. My daughter was taught how to repair electrical, change tires and oil, use power tools. My sons were taught how to cook. Their first vehicle had to have a standard transmission. They sure didn't want to do any of that but today they are pretty self sufficient and can do the things they need to do. My daughter called a couple of weeks ago and was installing a pig tail on a new dryer. (It had a 4th wire she was unsure of). Along with common sense comes taking responsiblity. That's something few folks practice today as well.

1stimestar
10-19-2014, 06:18 PM
Yep, my dad had 5 girls. Our first cars had to be standard transmissions. We couldn't drive them until we changed a tired and changed the oil. He showed us how of course. He wanted to be sure that we didn't have to rely on possibly crappy boyfriends/husbands to be mobile. I'm doing the same thing with my kids. Also, when teaching them something new, like how to change a headlight. I ask them to take a look and see how they think they should proceed first. If you don't know that oftentimes you can figure out an unknown just by looking at it and thinking about it (critical thinking skills) then you don't even attempt it.

hunter63
10-19-2014, 07:20 PM
I ask them to take a look and see how they think they should proceed first. If you don't know that oftentimes you can figure out an unknown just by looking at it and thinking about it (critical thinking skills) then you don't even attempt it.

Service guy skills...fake it till you make it, and don't make the same mistake again......
This is hard to teach....seem you need some of this thought process... in your make up or it doesn't work out so well.

Rick
10-20-2014, 08:01 AM
digital cameras/phones are the berries. Take a picture before you take it apart then you have a roadmap for reassembly. Especially if it's wiring.

Sarge47
10-20-2014, 07:41 PM
Great stuff!...:sailor:

hunter63
10-20-2014, 07:54 PM
digital cameras/phones are the berries. Take a picture before you take it apart then you have a roadmap for reassembly. Especially if it's wiring.

Shusssh that's a secret.......LOL

Chinora
10-21-2014, 03:41 AM
Common sense lacks anymore because when common sense is needed.
People just tend to pull out a smart phone and go "Google; How do I get home?"