PDA

View Full Version : What would you really do and how would you feel if you are lost?

Tokwan
10-13-2014, 08:46 PM
Now, let's be honest with ourselves, no need for too much of trying macho, just let's be plain honest.

How would you feel, what would you feel and what would the first thing that you do if you really get lost , alone in the forest?
Are you really equipped and trained? Did you really practice what you have learnt? Is your survival kit really gonna be of help?

I did face this situation about 3 years ago. I found that the training does help and sometimes, the survival kit you have is considered too much and when you are really tired, the kit seems to be too heavy that you just wanna throw out everything.

Actually, you will soon find that you do not need too many things.

Extra food is always welcomed but the kits can be lighter.

So let's discuss.

hunter63
10-13-2014, 09:23 PM
First thing In would do is get pizzed off....how could I do something so stupid......Uff-da (run in circles scream and shout)

Then sit down and assess the situation....drink a coffee or make me some, if I have it.....or even just water.

Where am I, how did I get here, what am I gonna do now.....remember maps and directions.

Decide if I gonna sit it out?...or try to self rescue.

How am I dressed?....am I in need of medical attention?

Besides knife, fire, water....I like a compass and flashlight.
Poncho would be nice.

randyt
10-13-2014, 09:35 PM
never been lost but camp got misplaced for a couple days once.

Tokwan
10-13-2014, 09:38 PM
Okay, what would be the thoughts taht will be racing in your mind...like, " gosh....how far am I from civilization, would a bear get me, what's behind those trees...would you be scared if you have to spend the night in the forest and after hearing all the local stories about the area you are in..

If its Rick, would a sasquatch or Bigfoot get me?

If its me... I would panic...but I just couldn't show it..first thing that would happen to me would be dumbstruck...and I would have to get myself out of it...then, I would do like Hunter did, sit down, assess, calm myself..I would roll a cigarette and smoke it. I wuld then go through my survival kit, to remind what I have in hand. Then get out of the situation. This is what I would do.
My priorities is to determine whether I can get out the same day. One way is to think how long it takes for you to get to where you are now. If its more than 3/4 of a day, I would just dig in. First thing is to determine where I am and is it dangerous for me. If it is, look for a better place. If its not, stay and make a shelter. Then fire. If I have enough water...stay put. If not find water when you have the opportunity.
Building fire is a must and i like mine smokey.....

Tokwan
10-13-2014, 09:40 PM
Randyt....what I meant in this topic is " what if"?

hunter63
10-13-2014, 09:41 PM
Yeah, well I wasn't counting the time my truck got moved on me.....LOL....used to carry a "gun sock" made from an old long john leg....to wrap up my rifle on the ride back to my truck.......LOL.

Deer can go for a long ways when wounded......and have to say the lost-est I have been, I was driving my truck in a state forest in 12" of snow....and snowing hard...almost empty gas tank.

randyt
10-13-2014, 09:43 PM
I knew that but I was being silly. If I was lost I would sit down and think. Think about the weather, shelter, water etc.

Tokwan
10-13-2014, 09:44 PM
We have many stories about certain entities in the Jungle...you can google up " Hantu Raya, Penunggu, Jin Hutan, Langsuirs, Puntianak and Bunians"....of course these are myths and beliefs, but many in Malaysia are superstitious. The Malays, Indians and Chinese have their own ethnic ghosts...hahahahahahaha...and whenever I did solo camping, peopla would ask me have I met any ting of such....these questions also came up during my survival classes....some people would hysterically.....so...some of us might have this in mind...that is why I am asking all of us here to be honest..throw aay the feeling of being macho...just speak out...hehe

hunter63
10-13-2014, 10:05 PM
So are you asking what we are afraid of?.....
Got a friend that is deathly afraid of coyotes......have seen plenty, heard even more, and never got any of them close unless I shot them.

Tokwan
10-13-2014, 10:46 PM
Yep..other than what we have trained for, would there be anything else that would make us sleepless....?

NightShade
10-13-2014, 11:46 PM
You could always just cut down some power lines if you're lost.....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/stranded-man-cuts-power-poles-to-draw-attention-1.890115

Tokwan
10-13-2014, 11:52 PM
Provided the power lines don't cut you....

1stimestar
10-14-2014, 12:34 AM
Well here you go, this just happened. Guy was an idiot. Ill prepared for the trip. Yea, he's lucky to be alive.

http://www.adn.com/article/20141013/lost-hiker-survives-2-chilly-nights-alaskas-chugach-state-park

PS, there was a misprint in this story. It said he stopped at a bar where a private party was going on but it was a GARAGE where a private party was going on.

Tokwan
10-14-2014, 02:12 AM
What would your main concerns be, what would you be afraid of, what would be at the back of your mind? I am sure no one is comfortable when one is lost.

Rick
10-14-2014, 06:34 AM
Tokwan - there is a huge difference between us being lost and you being lost. I don't care where I am in the Continental US with the exception of a few areas you can walk in any direction and hit a road in a few miles. The Everglades, desert regions or the Pacific Northwest would certainly be exceptions to that. Your jungle is a whole other animal. Not being able to see very far in any direction and not being able to judge sunlight because of overhead canopy are real hindrances and almost conspire to get you lost.

That aside, I really don't mind being lost. It's just not a big deal to me. I've never been lost with an injury so it's usually on my terms. I don't mind bush whacking at all. Just head out through the forest. Some of my most pleasant surprises have been because I've been off trail. I often get turned around because I do that. I just check my compass, check the sun/time, try to figure out where I am on my map and where the closest trail or road is and head that way. It's always worked out. I've sometimes taken the very long way back to my vehicle but I'm there to spend the time in the woods so that's no big deal either.

Awanita
10-14-2014, 10:14 AM
I spent close to 15 years in the Big Horn mountains area around Sheridan and Gillette Wyoming. Hunting fishing and Camping, I was also a member of search and rescue. It never falled at least once a hunting season we would have to go up and find an out of stater that didn't prepare or take maps to get them back out of camp. One thing that I was always taught about the Big Horn always follow you streams they head down the mountain to the foothills where the ranches are visiable. Never been lost up there but always made sure of maps, compass to be in my kit. Also, we had three children that got lost up there one year. We searched every square inch, then out of no where here come one of the ranchers with a truck and packed in the truck were the three kids, they had walked down the mountain and into the ranchers back door. I think they may have been more calm than some of the adults looking for them. Just use you head and have the attitude, I got myself into this, I can get my self out. Peace.

hunter63
10-14-2014, 11:16 AM
Yep..other than what we have trained for, would there be anything else that would make us sleepless....?

Lots of stuff keeps you sleepless.....bugs, cold, heat, rain, snow, bugs....hard ground, fear and all other thing that go bump in the night.
Usually by the second night you are so tired you don't care and sleep...
That's the way it is....when you body is tired enough it will sleep.

gryffynklm
10-14-2014, 11:53 AM
Here is an interesting Article on

How does your brain impact your survival chances in the wilderness?

http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/inside-the-mind/human-brain/survival-psychology.htm

hunter63
10-14-2014, 12:14 PM
Here is an interesting Article on

Says "Page can't be displayed"

finallyME
10-14-2014, 12:22 PM
When I was 11, I was backpacking in Yosemite with my scout troop. The troop had kids ranging from 11 (me :) ) to 17. Myself and another 11 year old were hiking together but we were separated from the group. We were basically in the middle. The fast kids had an adult with them, and another adult was with the slow kids. The two of us were neither. We were told to turn right after the bridge. We turned right at the first trail junction. Eventually we realized we must have turned wrong. So, we sat down and waited. About 30 minutes later, up comes the scoutmaster. He wasn't happy, but was relieved to see us.

When I take scouts now, I tell them that they have to stop at every junction, and on top of hills. I would rather we all get lost together.

Other than that one time, I have never really been lost. A few times I had a hard time getting to where I was planning to go. Couldn't find the place. But, I knew how to get back to the car. A couple times I just sat down and stared at the map and my surroundings until I figured it out.

Where I live is very open. If you pay attention to where you are, it is pretty hard to get lost. The only way I could get lost is if someone blindfolded me, and then dropped me off somewhere I had never been.
I think the first thing I would do is sit down and think for a bit, then probably climb to a high point and try and see as far as possible. Then I would plan how to walk out.

phreshayr
10-14-2014, 01:51 PM
Not too many years ago I flipped my ultralight aircraft end over end and ended up hanging upside down from my safety harness with my head in the snow. This was on a solo cross-country flight in the local mountains here in South Central Alaska. I wasn't lost but was potentially in deep doo doo. My front ski looked like an accordian. Otherwise the plane looked okay. I knew where there was two different empty cabins within a mile of me that had wood stoves for heat. I had my snowshoes with me as well. I spent quite a while trying to figure out what was the best course of action. Do I walk out 7 -12 miles? Do I head for one of the cabins and wait for someone to miss and start hunting for me? I finally decided that if the bent front ski would allow me to taxi on the ground until I got to a packed snowmachine trail, I might be able to take off and fly myself back home. That is what I attempted and was successful. The interesting thing was that even though I was pretty shook up mentally I was still able to keep my Wits about me and was able to logically assess my situation. It was an interesting learning experience for me in several different ways.

hunter63
10-14-2014, 02:00 PM
Tough plane.....congrats on a self rescue.
I recognize your thought process..........like having a car spinning out in front of you, .....trying to figure out what make and model, where the motor is...which end to hit as hitting the motor end will spin it away from you, where a hit on the empty end will spin in back into you.

This is in place of the "OMG I'm crashing"....and close eyes.

shackwater
10-14-2014, 02:16 PM
Whenever I'm out in the woods, I'm constantly looking for and assessing the availability of resources (i.e. tinder fungus, water, soft wood for bow drill & fire board, etc). I'm always "planning" in my head and running through "what if" scenarios. Luckily, I haven't needed to carry out those "what if" scenarios, but the mental exercise is in and of itself good practice. I'm sure if I needed to spend the night, or nights, in the back country, I would not have the best night's sleep. I may end up miserable, cold, wet & hungry, but I'd damn well live to tell some awesome stories about it 'round a campfire. A PMA (positive mental attitude) is crucial.

Tokwan
10-14-2014, 08:46 PM
Great discussion. This was the reason for the post. To get a discussion going. I see good response and good argument coming from most of you and the argument on we are at different places is really good.
If you leave in an very open country, you can get out of the jam quite easily...so let's continue with the discussion, argue if we must. It helps to keep the forum more alive and lose that boring feeling....hehe...keep 'em coming guys.

randyt
10-14-2014, 09:41 PM
ya know what scares me the most when lost? I'm afraid the wife might find me LOL.

Tokwan
10-14-2014, 09:55 PM
Err Randyt...i would like to forward this forum to your wife..lol..hahahahahahahahahahahaha

xjosh40x
10-15-2014, 01:25 AM
I've been lost before. For 8 days we couldn't find a mountain range that had comms. We saw many farms and small villages but it being Afghanistan we didn't risk it. Finally one night we heard a couple Blackhawks and threw out our strobes and we were located. We all had everything we needed for survival as far as gear and training. But training can only be so much life like. You truly don't know what it's like till it happens. I'll admit that even though I had my buddies I was scared and so were they. It was deathly cold and will Talie around it was a slow quite process. Luckily we were never engaged.

Tokwan
10-15-2014, 02:16 AM
That must have been one hell on an experience Josh. Yep..you got that right. we can only prepare in terms of tools, mindset and knowledge. Practice often. In Malaysia, there will be no phone coverage even in some rural areas...let alone the jungle...

xjosh40x
10-15-2014, 06:29 AM
It was something I will tell my grandchildren. It was rough. I imagine if I was back home I wouldn't have been as afraid because I know my way, the land, plants and animals. But even the water over there will make you question if boiling it is even enough and I didn't know any of the plants. If is wasn't for MREs we would've been hard up

hunter63
10-15-2014, 02:20 PM
ya know what scares me the most when lost? I'm afraid the wife might find me LOL.

I always though a cell phone was kinda like "belling the cat"..........LOL

tsitenha
10-15-2014, 09:39 PM
My father told me from an early age to carry a small kit, (which I do). I have shelter, a space blanket, compass, knife, matches, metal cup, water bottle and food. Oh yah mosquito head net. It all fit in/on a possible type bag. That is just for a walk, I try to look up a topo of the area before hand as a reference. I never feel lost, just am in a different home for the night(s) I will make it home in a bit.

Tokwan
10-15-2014, 10:37 PM
Tsitenha..yep right mentality, be prepared.....!

tsitenha
10-15-2014, 11:30 PM
So right Tokwan, unless injured even so just a matter of keeping calm, relaxed, bush fever not a good thing. For me I rely on my teachings, experience and culture, even with all the kit in the world, it will become useless if I panic. We can do a lot with a positive attitude.

1stimestar
10-16-2014, 01:38 AM
Not too many years ago I flipped my ultralight aircraft end over end and ended up hanging upside down from my safety harness with my head in the snow. This was on a solo cross-country flight in the local mountains here in South Central Alaska. I wasn't lost but was potentially in deep doo doo. My front ski looked like an accordian. Otherwise the plane looked okay. I knew where there was two different empty cabins within a mile of me that had wood stoves for heat. I had my snowshoes with me as well. I spent quite a while trying to figure out what was the best course of action. Do I walk out 7 -12 miles? Do I head for one of the cabins and wait for someone to miss and start hunting for me? I finally decided that if the bent front ski would allow me to taxi on the ground until I got to a packed snowmachine trail, I might be able to take off and fly myself back home. That is what I attempted and was successful. The interesting thing was that even though I was pretty shook up mentally I was still able to keep my Wits about me and was able to logically assess my situation. It was an interesting learning experience for me in several different ways.

Hahha yep, that's so Alaska.

Arctic Fox
10-17-2014, 01:07 PM
In all honesty even though I have an edc kit, I feel that I would probably be a little underprepared. I don't have a ton of experience with that type of situation even though I spend a lot of my time in the outdoors. I think I would be physically prepared but not emotionally/mentally prepared if I happened to get lost for a long period of time.

Old Professor
10-17-2014, 02:37 PM
Having the right mental attitude and keeping calm is the key to survival, IMHO! Back in 96, I fell from a tree stand and (found out later) broke my back. I was alone at camp and my buddy wasn't coming up to camp until the next day. I knew that I had a serious injury and it was raining. I did not want to lie out in the rain all night, so I had to get my self out of the wood and eventually to the hospital. I knew that if nothing else, I could crawl out to a hard road about two or three hundred yards away and attract some passing drivers attention. Thankfully I had my ATV along and crawled to it and up on it, ( love electric start!) and very slowly drove my self out to the cabin. After a pain pill dulled the pain to a tolerable level, I was able to drive myself to the ER.

Wildthang
10-17-2014, 03:42 PM
I haven't been totally lost in years, but I remember most of the times I got lost when I was a kid, I got mad at myself, and would finally realize that I need to just sit down and calm down. Then I would look for any familiar land marks and try to remember my treck in relative to any visable land marks, then try to work my way back to my starting point.
The I got smart and bought a cheap compass and started taking headings before I took off into the woods. That way at least I knew the basic direction I came from.
I have never been big on a huge backpack, just the basics and a tarp for a quick shelter. I have never used a backpack that weighed over 30 lbs. Honestly I could get that much lighter if I tried but I like my comfort items.
I have never been much of a winter hiker, but extrememly cold weather is a total game changer. That is when the old backpack gets heavy. I keep a cold weather BOB and it probably weighs 60 pounds, and I hope I never need it!

ElevenBravo
10-17-2014, 07:20 PM
Me, if I were lost?

Id panic like a school girl for an hour or two... Once I grew tired of that, Id start thinking a little level headed and try to sort things out, then set a plan, then work the plan.

EB

BornthatWay
10-19-2014, 08:58 AM
I have never been lost in an

BornthatWay
10-19-2014, 09:12 AM
OK. I hit the wrong button so I am starting over. Usin

BornthatWay
10-19-2014, 09:14 AM
I give up I did it again. My lost stories have always been in cities because I am a country girl and cities are easier to get lost in for me.

Tokwan
10-19-2014, 08:24 PM
Well okay,, so lost in the cities and help is nowhere nearby...hmmmmm...lost of good post guys..keep em coming...!

ClayPick
10-20-2014, 05:47 AM
The biggest part of my existence has been in the woods or on the water. I'm another one who looses his bearings in towns. There's just to many strait lines you have to follow.

BornthatWay
10-20-2014, 07:21 AM
Yes help is nowhere depending on where you are lost in the city. True now with GPS it is easier to find your way around. I still do not like walking around in a city unless I have someone with me that knows their way around. Ex. Los Angeles or NY city.

Rick
10-20-2014, 07:49 AM
Cities are just forests with different trees and mountains.

longear
10-20-2014, 08:41 AM
I spend lots of time in the woods. If you have never spent any time in the woods in the dark, try it sometime. everything changes at nite. I have never been lost for more than a few hours. I run coon dogs at nite. the things that will get you lost in a hurry are not paying attention and not being able to see the sky ie overhead canopy. I was lost for about 4 hours one nite with a friend, he was about to panic several times. I was just disgusted that I hadn't paid enough attention. this nite it seemed pretty simple the dog was treed 1/4 mile from where we parked. simple down the hill up the other side a little way. so we got to the dog, did several laps around the tree looking for the raccoon. left the tree walked to the bottom of the hill and up the other side. when we got to where the truck should be it wasn't. Walked another 1/2 mile or so to the road started making right turns til I recognized something and knew where I was. Trouble is the truck was a long way. lol. PAY ATTENTION. got home so late that nite my wife bought me a gps, I carried it twice now it is collecting dust.

longear
10-20-2014, 08:43 AM
I am with you on the cities. I live not far from Pittsburgh. I don't go there unless it is absolutely necessary. Hate it.

hunter63
10-20-2014, 12:24 PM
I spend lots of time in the woods. If you have never spent any time in the woods in the dark, try it sometime. everything changes at nite. I have never been lost for more than a few hours. I run coon dogs at nite. the things that will get you lost in a hurry are not paying attention and not being able to see the sky ie overhead canopy. I was lost for about 4 hours one nite with a friend, he was about to panic several times. I was just disgusted that I hadn't paid enough attention. this nite it seemed pretty simple the dog was treed 1/4 mile from where we parked. simple down the hill up the other side a little way. so we got to the dog, did several laps around the tree looking for the raccoon. left the tree walked to the bottom of the hill and up the other side. when we got to where the truck should be it wasn't. Walked another 1/2 mile or so to the road started making right turns til I recognized something and knew where I was. Trouble is the truck was a long way. lol. PAY ATTENTION. got home so late that nite my wife bought me a gps, I carried it twice now it is collecting dust.

I hate it when some moves my truck......I hear ya.

hunter63
10-20-2014, 12:25 PM
Cities are just forests with different trees and mountains.

And different wild animals........

crashdive123
10-20-2014, 04:21 PM
The thing I hate most when I get lost is Mrs. Crash complaining that I should have stopped for directions. :whistling:

kyratshooter
10-20-2014, 07:03 PM
I hate it when some moves my truck......I hear ya.

I looked for my truck for nearly an hour in the WallyWorld parking lot.

Finally remembered I had driven the Jeep that day.

randyt
10-20-2014, 07:54 PM
A cold rain and a cold wind concerns me lost or not. Back in 1885 or there abouts my great great granddad was rained on and died of pneumonia at the age of 35.

Tokwan
10-20-2014, 08:33 PM
Sad to hear that Randyt..keep em coming guys. When you get lost in the cities, at least you need not worry about shelter, water and food. However, the forest is a different ball game. You will need shelter, fire, water and food in the long run.
In the city, you might ask for directions which you will not be able to do in the forest. In the city, the roads have signage..the forest, the signage are a bit blurred.
In the city, you only worry about getting there late, but you also worry about getting mugged , raped or bullied...in the forest, you worry about being eaten......
So which scares you?

randyt
10-20-2014, 08:57 PM
I would rather face the wilderness than the city. Years back I was moving north from Kentucky. I had a old international panel wagon and I got turned around in Louisville Ky. Ended up on the wrong side of town so to speak, it was not friendly and I was a country bumpkin as country bumpkin could be. I hightailed it out of there.

Tokwan
10-20-2014, 10:06 PM
Yep...and that is why I go into the jungle which is know to house a number of species of poisonous snakes, tiger, elephants and other animals. I think I trust them more than some human.

Rick
10-21-2014, 07:43 AM
I just don't see much of a difference between woods and cities. You did a nice comparison, Tokwan, but you have food and water in the woods if you know where to look just like in the city. City streets can get you turned around especially if they aren't on true directions but seem to be (North, South, etc). As long as you know the time and can see the sun you can dead reckon to where you need to be. I have one small town in the Midwest that I get turned around in every time I'm in it. The town lays on a Northeast/Southwest diagonal but the streets are square. It seems like you are traveling North when you are actually traveling Northeast. At least it does to me. I have to check with the sun every time I'm in that town.

Tokwan
10-26-2014, 09:05 PM
That is why God created the sun, my dear friend....in the city, you have the sun, unless you are ina strom drain or an underground sewage living like the Punisher...in my jungle..its quite hard but not impossible to find the sun...cos some do pass the canopy....I am quite comfortable in the city as I am quite a fairly big sized guy compared to some of my fellow countrymen...and I am an exponent of three martial arts, one being Tae Kwon Do and two malay traditional arts which i took since 6 years old. These are effective against one or two guys but never effective against any snakes, tigers or elephants or even the seladangs.
But still...being comfortable in the city, u still need to keep all your posssions under lock and key..which you need not when you are in the jungle...hahahahahahaha

Phaedrus
10-27-2014, 05:04 AM
I'd probably have "a moment" like ElevenBravo said. My first thought would be a mild panic that my family would be worried about me. I'd momentarily fear the disruption of everyone's lives; they'd be late waiting and looking for me. Depending on where I was lost I wouldn't be super worried for myself. I'm no Ray Mears but I'm comfortable in the woods, and unless something very weird had happened like aliens abducting me and dropping me in the forest, I would have some gear on me.

Lamewolf
10-27-2014, 02:27 PM
Be thankful I am still alive, treat the situation like a vacation, and have fun enjoying the woods !

Tokwan
10-27-2014, 09:02 PM
Aren't we all.. I would like to know more of the first thoughts that came to you mind when you got lost...I usually feel an adrenalin rush, anxiety and some sudden fear..but usually managed to calm down. Its when the night comes...hehehe...that is why I am very concerned about fire making.

wilderness medic
10-28-2014, 12:08 AM
How would I feel? Pretty normal. Well ok, physically lost? Very situational dependent. Season, location, etc.

I practice, but never truly enough. + Murphy's law.

If good season, good location. Probably pretty relaxed. I know I can generally relocate myself to something rather quickly. This country minus Alaska is far too populated to get truly "lost" in unless you're injured or ill in someway.

That being said, if the conditions aren't favorable. I'd probably be down knowing the severity of the "suck" that i'm about to endure with no sleep, cold, wet, and hungry.

hunter63
10-28-2014, 10:06 AM
One of the first thoughts at "That moment of Oh ship"....is the knowledge in the back of your head that you will be given a bad time by peers for being a Dumas.

We actually had a hunting party member "lost" on a Thanksgiving Day hunt.
He didn't show up at the required time, and over a couple of hours of looking and calling for him...he decided to go the other way so as to not put up with the hazing....and walked back, so he could really play the victim.

Is sorta funny today, many years after the fact...but does show that stigma of the event........No one likes being lost,...at the time.
That's where the statement come in that helps......"Someday, you are gonna laugh"

MrFixIt
10-28-2014, 12:10 PM
I have never been lost.
There have been times where my actual location didn't coincide with the map, but never been lost.
I've also been off track in ATL, but that's because every other street is named Martin Luther King ***, or Peach ***.

hunter63
10-28-2014, 01:10 PM
Of y'all that have been turned around a tad.....doesn't take much to get a lifetime membership in the old guide group.....
The FugRwee's....as in "Where the fugRwee".....and you will never hear the end of it for the rest of your life, once inducted.

It will be brought up ant every fire, camp, and gathering ....FOREVER.

Tokwan
10-28-2014, 08:14 PM
Hahaha..we are getting philosophic now......!!!

shackwater
10-29-2014, 11:01 AM
Let me ask this....how many of you continuously go through the "what if" scenarios in your head as you are walking through the woods? I do it constantly. I also turn around and look back at the way I came in from every couple minutes and mentally make "landmark notes" in my head as I walk. Am I the exception or the rule?

wilderness medic
10-29-2014, 11:29 AM
Let me ask this....how many of you continuously go through the "what if" scenarios in your head as you are walking through the woods? I do it constantly. I also turn around and look back at the way I came in from every couple minutes and mentally make "landmark notes" in my head as I walk. Am I the exception or the rule?

All the time. That's what it's all about right? Being prepared a head of time and ready for as much as you can be. Easier to keep from getting lost, than getting yourself "unlost"

I don't have a map or compass, but most of the backwoods I hike are off a HWY that runs east-west. Knowing that i'm on the North or South side, and keeping approximate bearings with the sun X how long I hike is enough to know about how far I am from the road, and how long of hiking in one direction to make it to the road. As well as the many creeks, and knowing which way they run. Simple stuff.

MrFixIt
10-29-2014, 01:07 PM

I do, to an extent. I trust in my skills and gear, but that mental sharpness is what will carry me through. (I hope!)
As far as looking back at the way you travel, that is a navigation skill I learned as a kid, and still do it today.

3leggedcoyote
05-18-2015, 08:19 PM
FWIW, if lost, meaning I have given up on figuring out which way to go...

I'm gonna hug a tree, do what I can to increase visibility, get comfy, probably take a nap, let others get tired and sweaty trying to find me. I'm really good at loafin'.

7whitewolf7
05-18-2015, 09:27 PM
In truth, I would be worried about my skill level. I've been lost in the woods in Louisiana, but a few hours walk got me back on a street. If I were truly lost, as in days away from civilization I would probably be happy, but insecure in my knowledge as of this moment. Later in life when I'm actually prepared and the necessary experience, it would probably just be fun....
However I think being lost in the ocean is a recipe for mental breakdown. If I were lost at sea, I'd probably just sit for awhile (in shock) then do my best to stay alive and sane. (I would probably sing a lot).

hunter63
05-18-2015, 09:40 PM
............................. Later in life when I'm actually prepared and the necessary experience, it would probably just be fun....

No it isn't....there are things to do, places to be, friends looking for you.....No....only fun when you are enjoying the hike.....

This is NOT BEING LOST.....which is mental as well as physical.

7whitewolf7
05-18-2015, 09:44 PM
No it isn't....there are things to do, places to be, friends looking for you.....No....only fun when you are enjoying the hike...
Point taken.... I think I would rather be disappointed in myself and as phaerus said, worried about my friends and family disrupting their lives. It sounds nice now, but in actuality it won't be then.

Rick
05-19-2015, 04:24 AM
Being lost is the pits, not that I've ever actually been lost you understand. Once you figure out where you are you'll always find you walked in the direction opposite of the truck no matter where you parked it.

hunter63
05-19-2015, 10:44 AM
Being lost is the pits, not that I've ever actually been lost you understand. Once you figure out where you are you'll always find you walked in the direction opposite of the truck no matter where you parked it.

I have had some one move my truck a few times........

DSJohnson
05-19-2015, 04:07 PM
Hunter, you just have to quit leaving the keys in your truck!

Second week of February, 1984, another lad and I were going to our first real Rocky Mountain Rondyvoo. West of Deer Lodge, MT. Driving from Oklahoma in a 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser Wagon. Loaded to the gills with gear, 4 sets of chains, high lift jack, 5 ton chain fall (no winch on my truck), a canvas A Frame tent,lots of wool blankets. We had left Oklahoma city at around 1500 hours after Ronnie got off work. Drove all night. Listening to the weather on the radio (supposed to clear and cold. DUH February in Montana) Pumped about going to our first "real" By God Rondyvoo. I had worked an 8 hour night shift Wednesday night for Thursday, come home loaded everything up, and driven up to OKC to pick up Ron. When he got in the truck I had been up just about a smooth 24 hours. So he got under the wheel and I went to sleep. Except for stopping for gas, our plan was to drive straight through to the site. if we had no problems we expected to be on the road for around 25 or 26 hours. (By the way I was 28 and Ron was 29) We were really hoping to get close before it got too dark. Ron drove until around midnight then I took over.

We got to Billings around 1200 hours Friday morning. Been on the road for 20 or so hours. Stopped, ate a real meal, talked to a couple of guys in the restaurant about the road and the weather. Lots of snow on the ground, but they acted pretty nonchalant about the road and said the weather was supposed to be good for the next 4 or 5 days so we should have a good time. We got back on the road around 1300 and drove into Deer Lodge, in the dark, at 1800 hours. The roads had been clear and pretty empty. Ron had been driving since Billings and he was pretty sleepy. I had slept some off and on as we drove. From Deer Lodge we had hand written directions to the site. Go south out of Deer Lodge on I-90 turn lest (West) on Race track road and go another 20 or so miles on forestry roads to the site. Then we get to hike to the rondyvoo camp(We had been told it might be more than a mile from where the cars were parked.).

I was driving, Ron was sleeping. Lots of snow, snow covered curvy narrow forestry roads, and I went to sleep. Drove down into a creek. Fortunately it was not full of water and neither of us were hurt. For the last little bit, the last 3 or 4 miles, before I fell asleep, I had felt like I was on the wrong road. We were supposed to turn on like 1998 or some such number like that and all the signs that I could see had names like Antelope Gulch and Perkins Road. No numbered road sat all. I hated to wake Ron up and tell him that I had got us lost. I was fighting being tired and being lost and I just went to sleep. We were a good 40 or more yards off the road and about 50 feet or more lower than the road. It was only about 1900 hours when we hit the ditch. Ron was awake and now I was wide awake. The snow had really slowed our trip down the bank and cushioned our landing. The truck seemed to be in okay condition as far as we could tell. We walked around it for a little bit. It was COLD. Maybe 15 or so degrees. The snow off the road was about a foot or so deep with drifts of two foot in places. We had fueled up in Deer Lodge and gotten some hot chocolate before we left town. For about the first 2 or 3 minutes I was pretty shook. I was scared that the truck was hurt, I was scared that no one really had any idea where we were. I had called my wife at home to tell her that we had made Deer Lodge fine and that she would not be hearing from us again for 4 or 5 days anyway. I had told the gentleman who had invited me all the way up here that we would see him late Friday or some time Saturday.

After Ron and I had walked/climbed back to the road and then back down to the truck, we got back inside and started the truck up to run the heater and get warm. We dug out our sleeping bags and our blankets and put more clothes on. We were in pretty good spirits. Ron was giving me lots of good natured grief about what I had done. he kept asking me why I had not woke him up and why I had decided to park in the dam* creek. But in truth we both knew it was pretty serious. There had only been a couple of wheel tracks on this road and it did not look like had been traveled much at all. I could not point to a spot on our topo and say "This is where we are." I knew we had been on Perkins Road at the last intersection, which I told was like a mile behind us. Killed the truck and ate some chocolate and tried to go to sleep. Hoping daylight would make things look better. That was just about the coldest most unfun night I have ever had in the woods. It was clear as a bell and the sky was full of stars. Because we seemed to be way out in the woods there was no light pollution at all. Also it was so dang quiet, party because of the snow I am sure, but also because we were 25 miles off any kind of a traveled road. I did finally go to sleep. At about 0500 hours Oklahoma time (0400 local) I woke up and had to pee. Man was it cold. When I checked the little zipper pull thermometer on my rear view mirror it looked like it was right at 0 Degrees. I used a water bottle for a urinal and went back to sleep. Around 0600 local I heard Ron stirring. We used my little Seva 123 to make us something hot. I had never used it in this kind of cold and I was about to give up on it when it finally started. We made some Chicken Noodle soup and hot chocolate. Our plan was pretty simple. Climb back up on the road and use some flagging to let folks know we were down in the creek. Even in the daylight you could not see my truck from the road unless you were really looking. We talked abut walking out for help but instead decided to try and self rescue the truck. We worked pretty steady, tying on to a big tree with that chain fall, tromping down the snow up the slope to the road. Cutting some limbs and placing them under the wheels for traction. Putting chains on all four tires. Dropping the tire pressure down to around 15 pounds to help with the traction (I did have a little air compressor with us). In all that time, about three or four hours Ron never once lost his temper or got frustrated while we were doing all that. Also no one drove by that us that entire time. We had built a fire in the creek bed but it was more psychological comfort than physical. We would stop and warm after we had accomplished each little task. The fire was warm but the second you stepped away it was cold again. Getting those tire chains on was a bit@h. Fortunately because it was so cold we were never really wet except for sweating. And we did have several changes of clothes in the truck. We had stopped to eat and then we were going to make our first attempt at driving/winching. We were cooking some hamburgers in skillet when we heard a motor up on the road. We pulled the meat off the fire and started up the hill to the road. A forestry snow plow truck. He sucked us right back up the slope in no time, smooth as silk!! He was very surprised to see us also. He never said it but it was pretty obvious that he thought we were idiots. He had got on his radio to check in and told the ranger about finding us. We gathered up all the gear, kicked the fire out and said thank you to Terry (the snow plow driver) Turns out we were very off course. By like 40 miles.

We finally found the car parking area later that day (Saturday.) There were several folks at the vehicles when we pulled in. It seems that we were not the only ones who were late showing up. Originally the hosts were expecting around 40 or so campers for 4 or 5 nights. By the time we had showed up there were about 10 or so at the camp, which was about a half mile across country from where the cars were parked. One of the Booshways had decided to drive the road and see if he could find any stragglers. In the mean time the weather forecast had changed and they were predicting it to warm up and start snowing that night. (Saturday night) by then we had just about had all the adventure we could stand. As we were standing there talking to the Booshway Ron walked up close to me and asked me if my feeling would be hurt if we went back to town and got a motel room with a warm, dry bed and a hot shower. Man I was so glad he asked me instead of me having to suggest that. It had already been on my mind anyway. We loaded up and started back. We found a room in a little place called Garrison that night. The next morning it had snowed about 6 inches and everything looked so neat. It had warmed up to about 20 degrees. We had a great road trip back. We stopped and looked at the Great Falls. We took it nice and slow and made it back to Oklahoma late Thursday evening. We had stopped in Cody and spent a day at the Museum there.

Looking back, the first couple of moments when I woke up were pure chaos in my head. Then we were so far off the dang road I could not believe it. I had not been going over 25 at the most. When we started talking about if we could expect any help, or even if anyone would be looking for us and when, it seemed pretty bleak. But once we made a plan it got a lot better very quickly. Of course we had tons of gear and food and some water so we were sure not going to starve and even if it had snowed on us I think we would have been okay until someone found us. I really did not even realize how lost we were until we started talking to the snowplow operator. Also we were more like 30 miles form town instead of the 10 or 15 that I had thought. Making the decision to just stay with the truck and the gear, get some sleep and wait for the daylight were all very good decisions.

hunter63
05-19-2015, 04:28 PM
DS, That's a heck of a great story,.... and a possible likely scenario many people may deal with.

Even knowing you had the gear, and knowledge....and it still a touch and go situation.....you read about people getting stranded and actually die waiting for help.

Got "lost" in a hunting area in a blizzard, driving the truck all two rut roads looked the same, no signs, had a map but no names....was almost out of gas.....no tire tracks.

Finally passed a house....another mile to the black top and a sign to town....rolled into a station on fumes......after that carried a 2-1/2 gas can filled for back country 4 wheeling.

Calm head helps.....for sure.

Lamewolf
05-19-2015, 04:29 PM
I feel like I want to be lost right now ! :cursing:

hunter63
05-19-2015, 04:34 PM
Oh, Yeah....just for the record....I always leave my keys in the truck when hunting....LOL
Everyone knows it's mine......and always seems to know my business......I you know what I mean.

Who in their right mind would approach a parked vehicle knowing a high powered rifle may....and I do mean....may be close by.

Actually had a friend "borrow the truck" to go get gas for his and brought it back....left me a note and a $5 dollar bill.

Duece
05-20-2015, 08:51 AM
Ive gotten turned around a few times while out or hunting....thankfully im in the canadian prairies,walk far enough in same direction will eventually come to a road and or farm.still kinda scary,i try and sit down have a drink and try and mentally retrace my steps.im not sure how i would respond if i got really really lost,im usually pretty good under pressure so i would like to think i would do ok,but ya never know i guess
D

Batch
05-20-2015, 09:04 PM
Oh, Yeah....just for the record....I always leave my keys in the truck when hunting....LOL
Everyone knows it's mine......and always seems to know my business......I you know what I mean.

Who in their right mind would approach a parked vehicle knowing a high powered rifle may....and I do mean....may be close by.

Actually had a friend "borrow the truck" to go get gas for his and brought it back....left me a note and a $5 dollar bill.

A lot of Gladesmen will leave their trucks unlocked. So that thieves won't break out the windows. And trucks get stolen at airboat ramps all the time.

Here is an excerpt from "Gladesmen: Gator Hunters, Moonshiners, And Skiffers" by Glenn Simmons

"When in the woods you always had to worry about what condition your car would be in when you returned. Now that old Ingraham Highway wasn't traveled much-maybe a dozen cars a week and most of them were on the weekends. Most times, we parked the car down in the mangroves, about twenty-five miles from Homestead. Once after a few-week glade skiff trip, Buck and I came back to the road, and the hood was up on the Model A. "Now what the hell?" There sitting on the motor, was a brand new fan belt. Somebody had needed a fan belt, taken ours, and then bought a brand one-but had neglected to put it on. We pretty much figured out who that was, and later he owned up to it and had a good excuse. This fella had a Model A ton truck, a fish truck, which he used since he worked out of Flamingo. I met him at The Last Chance Saloon and casually asked, "Why didn't you put that fan belt back on?" He talked with a lisp and replied, "The skeeters just 'bout eat me up that night, I just laid it on top and got out of there."

When on these two-week trips, often some common man would siphon off your gasoline when you left your rattle-trap vehicle on the road to fend for itself. I learned early to hide enough gasoline in the bushes to get home. 'Twas said that a gator hunters service station was a siphon hose and a five-gallon can."

I have never had anyone touch my stuff out there. I just put my gas can under the trailer to keep it out of the sun.

hayshaker
05-22-2015, 11:21 PM
I'm not terrified of coyotes just very aware of what they can do that's all.

Tokwan
05-24-2015, 09:24 AM
Lost..the feeling of loneliness, silence, and what to do? With enough knowledge and experience, it will not turn into despair...practice what you have learnt, gather all yopur experience, knowledge, calmness and courage and face it... You will most probab;ly be all right..That 's what I keep telling myself.

Fort fireman
05-25-2015, 10:40 PM
I'm with Hunter63. I would be soooooooo mad at myself for getting into that situation that I would really need to sit down and "defuse" for a bit. Then i would start my threats and resources i have. I have to admit that I would really be worried about the guys back at camp. I know they would all be sweating about where i was and they would be in for a long night as well. So many unknowns on the other end of being lost for those waiting on you. That would actually really need to be controled and a tough stressor to handle. I would have to fight the urge to "find myself" to get back so they don't have to worry and that can get one in even bigger trouble. Just another thought.

hunter63
05-26-2015, 10:16 AM
One of the first thoughts at "That moment of Oh ship"....is the knowledge in the back of your head that you will be given a bad time by peers for being a Dumas.

We actually had a hunting party member "lost" on a Thanksgiving Day hunt.
He didn't show up at the required time, and over a couple of hours of looking and calling for him...he decided to go the other way so as to not put up with the hazing....and walked back, so he could really play the victim.

Is sorta funny today, many years after the fact...but does show that stigma of the event........No one likes being lost,...at the time.
That's where the statement come in that helps......"Someday, you are gonna laugh"

Speaking about the other guys.......
Looked for "The kid" who was younger BIL buddy till like 2 PM....then sent a couple of guys back to the house to let the women know to hold dinner, and get some help.

DW showed up to let us know that the "Kid" had walked all the way back to the cabin...about 10 miles... it seemed that he didn't want to come back to the truck after a hour or because he could hear Older BIL was walking thru the woods hollering "Kid you are pizzing me off..... I'm missing turkey day,...GaDamit....I'm starving... if I find you I'll kill you...Blah, Blah.

So the "Kid" got inducted into the "FugRwees

Point being "When looking for a lost person...Don't threaten to kill them...Out loud".

SurvivalTips
05-27-2015, 10:20 PM
I've never been seriously lost, mainly just disoriented while chasing a nice buck! Although when you realize you are off course and have no idea where you are it's natural to panic for a sec.. and in my younger years I'd even start running around to try to locate my hunting buddies, but that just makes things worse. Just need to stay calm, get your bearings and head to where you know is going to be eventually safe. Hope you have some survival gear in your pack ;)

richbat
05-28-2015, 08:36 AM
Lost nope,disoriented yes and those dang deer and tracking can really at times screw you up on where you are.Now as far as what I'd do and what someone else would do are gonna be two different scenarios and as far as what scares/frightens one might not have any effect on the other.So first off after getting lost,priority one,calm down and come to your senses,then try and see if I can figure out where I went wrong to get myself in this situation,hopefully I have water on me and if not try to maybe locate some,then if staying overnight is required then fire and some sort of shelter,now as night falls,yes your gonna be uncomfortable and every dang noise in the woods is gonna have you edge,then your minds gonna start playing tricks on you,you'll start thinking of those horror movies you watched recently and let's not forget about Bigfoot/Sasquatch checking you out from behind a nearby tree and if your lucky he/she won't be throwing things at you all night,But in reality it's all in your head what scares you and like you were told when you were a child "There isn't nothing there in the dark that isn't there in the light"[To a point] Use your noggin and some good old common sense and what you have learnt and you'll have nothing to worry about...

Rick
05-28-2015, 01:53 PM
There isn't nothing there in the dark that isn't there in the light

Really? Really? I still ain't buyin' it!

http://cdn.morningmoss.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/st6.jpg (http://cdn.morningmoss.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/st6.jpg)

edr730
05-28-2015, 07:52 PM
My grandfather played a game with us kids. He'd say, "which way do we go" He'd go where ever we pointed. We had no idea where we were. Eventually we learned.
I guess I've subconsciously played that with adults. If I tell them twice the way out and they kinda think their way is correct, I'll just follow till they give up.
I've played the game of "lets get lost" lots of times, but only when it is a safe game for everyone.
There's really no shame in getting lost. I've been lost for 15 minutes lots of times in the dark. It's complicated sometimes trying to remember all the things you need to remember. In those times I lean sticks and logs against trees.

-FinnSurvivor-
05-29-2015, 03:20 AM
I've been lost seriously only once...I was in the army at the time and we were in northern Finland,middle of nowhere.
We had this supply truck visiting us every once in awhile and it was late..like 10 or 11 pm and pitch black.
I was told to go to the truck and fetch some supplies and someone pointed me the direction..."a few kilometers to that way" :)

I started walking and eventually found the truck...

All the problems started when I was going back to camp...I realized that I had no idea what so ever,where I came from.
Equipment wise I had a lighter and clothes on me...and of course all the chocolate bars and other snack I just got from the car.

The situation never actually turned to a real "survival situation" because I eventually, after a couple of hours wandering around,was able to locate my own tracks in the snow and got back to camp. I used my lighters sparks to see (there was a windy weather and -30 degrees celsius,so getting a flame was difficult).

I have to admit that for awhile I felt the panic trying to overtake me but I was able to calm myself and act rationally.Many years later,when I think about that situation...I'm glad that I was able to stay calm..At the time I had no knowledge or skills...or gear to get me through the night.

Thats what I would do even today...stay calm...I find it very important.
And luckily I have more knowledge these days,than back then. :)

Wildthang
05-30-2015, 12:57 PM
I always get mad as heck at myself because I hate the feeling i get when I realize that i'm lost! But I basically do nothing until I think, Okay, getting mad aint doin me any good! Then I calm down and develop a plan. I have never been so lost that I couldn't eventually find my way back as an adult, but if I was I have always thought a shelter and a large fire would be my priorities. A fire will most likely get you found if anybody is looking!

Fort fireman
05-31-2015, 07:16 AM
[/COLOR]

http://cdn.morningmoss.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/st6.jpg (http://cdn.morningmoss.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/st6.jpg)

Great!!!!! Now I'll be seeing that freaky thing next time I'm in the woods in the dark. Appreciate that !!!!!

crashdive123
05-31-2015, 11:51 AM
Don't worry, they've only been spotted in one area. North Carolina I believe.:whistling:

hunter63
05-31-2015, 11:55 AM
Crash, That the guy the shows up at 3 am and honks the horn?.......Heard tell of that.

crashdive123
05-31-2015, 11:59 AM
Crash, That the guy the shows up at 3 am and honks the horn?.......Heard tell of that.

Oh yeah. Some folks are just plain lucky. With as much firepower that was available, no shots were fired. Somebody even got up and made coffee.

scafool
05-31-2015, 06:20 PM
The first thing I would likely do is stop right where I was and make myself a nice hot cup of tea. It is really hard to get into a big panic and go getting yourself even more lost when you are sipping on a nice hot mug of tea.:)

Batch
05-31-2015, 10:05 PM
[/COLOR]

I ain't no spookologist or nothing. But, what is there to fear of this creature? It doesn't even have teeth? Skinny, kinda looks like a biped. But, doesn't/ can't stand?!!! Look at the pathetic chicken wings on the thing! Are you serious? I would whoop that thing back into what ever sorry assed twilight episode it escaped from.

hunter63
05-31-2015, 10:14 PM
Saw that posted some where,.... and some one recognized it as a past X wife.........With the mouth open.....LOL

Rick
06-01-2015, 07:25 AM
You know what? I just noticed that thing in the corner. The real killer is the widow maker in the center of the pic. Now that's scary!

Auban
06-03-2015, 10:57 PM
i have been lost quite a few times...
i never have enough water or food. one of two always runs out before i want it to.

7whitewolf7
06-11-2015, 07:08 PM
[/COLOR]

That's horrible...... now I won't be able to use the hammock outside for at least 2 days... I just wish the mice/rats/desert lizards/ or whatever else it is (In Arizona right now at an Organic Farm) would stop rustling around while I was trying to sleep. IT'S FREAKY, especially with that picture.

Dynanim
07-18-2015, 06:31 AM
What would really get me spooked about being lost (if I'm not with others) are axe-wielding psychopaths, miscreants and other kinds of bad guys. But then I tell myself that I'm better off being far away from "civilization" because they wouldn't be bothered going out into the bush to find a victim. It's more likely that I'd be unfortunate enough to cross paths with a gang of hooligans if I camped closer to "civilization".

I'm lucky enough to never have been lost, but I always went into the bush with a mental picture of the area - you know, where we were in relation to roads and creeks that led back to somewhere. That way if I did get lost, I'd try to find water first then head off in the general direction that would take me to the road.

Having said all that, and being human, and seeing that freaky picture above, and hearing all sorts of supernatural stories, and having a vivid imagination, and experiencing a weird event... if I was lost in the woods at night, I'd be all eyes - all ears - all other senses on high alert. I'd have my samurai sword out (if I had one) and probably not sleep a wink. I'd probably whirl around at every noise, expecting a berserk monster coming straight at me. It was a bit like that when I first heard a possum or wombat in the wild. Unearthly!

WalkingTree
07-19-2015, 09:43 PM

I'd set a trap for this sucker, except it looks kinda skin and bones. Not much meat. It's hide might have interesting uses though.

Now, let's be honest with ourselves, no need for too much of trying macho, just let's be plain honest.

How would you feel, what would you feel and what would the first thing that you do if you really get lost , alone in the forest?
Are you really equipped and trained? Did you really practice what you have learnt? Is your survival kit really gonna be of help?

I did face this situation about 3 years ago. I found that the training does help and sometimes, the survival kit you have is considered too much and when you are really tired, the kit seems to be too heavy that you just wanna throw out everything.

Actually, you will soon find that you do not need too many things.

Extra food is always welcomed but the kits can be lighter.

So let's discuss.

I'm one of those crazies who WISHES that I would get lost. I don't really try, which is paradoxical, for a variety of reasons including that a part of me feels that people need to stay out of our forest and wildlife reserves (of the few types of places where I'd want to be lost on purpose).

But because of this, if lost, I wouldn't panic or be scared, almost not at all. This isn't because I'm stupid or gung ho or not capable of fear, but it's just that I would embrace it (being positive and tackling the problem) and would actually enjoy it. My biggest fear, seriously, is being lost with other people who had the wrong dispositions. The wrong social dynamics will kill a group as fast as the environment.

As far as any kit or pack goes...I have to surmise the great possibility that if I were really lost, I wouldn't have a pack or kit with me. To truly be lost, it would have to be quite unplanned and unexpected. If I happen to have a pack or kit with me, then I'm probably prepared to enough of an extent that something wouldn't be so unexpected and I wouldn't be really lost. Not guaranteed or always...but just a good probability statement.

I figure that if I can surmise a good chance of rescuing myself or getting rescued within a day or two, I don't consider that to be lost I guess. What would I do first? That's what I would do first - try to assess how lost I really am. And what I do happen to have with me. Otherwise, I couldn't really say what I'd do unless I know what I have with me...in an unexpected situation...and if I can obtain much of an idea of how far from rescue I am. I figure that what I'd do if I calculated a decent chance of rescue soon...and what I'd do if I didn't think so and would be lost for a good while...are substantially different strategies.

I've realized though that in such a situation wherein it took a good while to rescue myself and had to work to survive...when the opportunity for rescue arrived, I would seriously hesitate. I know that a part of me would just rather stay out there.

hunter63
07-19-2015, 10:09 PM
I'd set a trap for this sucker, except it looks kinda skin and bones. Not much meat. It's hide might have interesting uses though.

I'm one of those crazies who WISHES that I would get lost. I don't really try, which is paradoxical, for a variety of reasons including that a part of me feels that people need to stay out of our forest and wildlife reserves (of the few types of places where I'd want to be lost on purpose).

But because of this, if lost, I wouldn't panic or be scared, almost not at all. This isn't because I'm stupid or gung ho or not capable of fear, but it's just that I would embrace it (being positive and tackling the problem) and would actually enjoy it. My biggest fear, seriously, is being lost with other people who had the wrong dispositions. The wrong social dynamics will kill a group as fast as the environment.

As far as any kit or pack goes...I have to surmise the great possibility that if I were really lost, I wouldn't have a pack or kit with me. To truly be lost, it would have to be quite unplanned and unexpected. If I happen to have a pack or kit with me, then I'm probably prepared to enough of an extent that something wouldn't be so unexpected and I wouldn't be really lost. Not guaranteed or always...but just a good probability statement.

I figure that if I can surmise a good chance of rescuing myself or getting rescued within a day or two, I don't consider that to be lost I guess. What would I do first? That's what I would do first - try to assess how lost I really am. And what I do happen to have with me. Otherwise, I couldn't really say what I'd do unless I know what I have with me...in an unexpected situation...and if I can obtain much of an idea of how far from rescue I am. I figure that what I'd do if I calculated a decent chance of rescue soon...and what I'd do if I didn't think so and would be lost for a good while...are substantially different strategies.

I've realized though that in such a situation wherein it took a good while to rescue myself and had to work to survive...when the opportunity for rescue arrived, I would seriously hesitate. I know that a part of me would just rather stay out there.

So I gonna guess that you haven't ever been lost.....like really lost?

That actually is a good thing, as I haven't either....but have been turned around quite a while.

WalkingTree
07-20-2015, 06:00 AM
Heard somebody ask once "what's the difference between being lost and not knowing where you are?" Good question.

1stimestar
07-20-2015, 04:42 PM
"Never been lost. Been a might confused for a month or so, but never been lost."

Dynanim
07-22-2015, 03:07 AM

WalkingTree, good to see that you've thought about being in a situation with others. Their responses could really turn the situation up a notch or ten, depending on who reacts in what way. You'd either have to work harder to keep the group together or leave it if they're totally out of control. What would you do if the people in the group are good friends or relatives? I don't think I could abandon them, no matter how stupid they behave. I'd feel responsible for them and may have to enforce my actions one way or another.

I agree that if someone gets lost, it'd be unplanned/unexpected, so they're unlikely to have their kit with them. Of course something unexpected can happen when someone's in the wilderness, but as you said, they probably would have planned for similar eventualities and may be able to work around the unexpected with the plans they put in place for possible problems. Flexibility in thinking and an in-depth knowledge would help to do that. Going back to being unexpected and kit-less... doing what you said makes absolute sense:

stay calm
assess your situation
evaluate your (and the group's) resources and mental/physical/emotional condition
formulate your strategy

Your strategy should take into account everyone's spirit, abilities, knowledge, etc. Planning for as many eventualities as possible before the trip (with all the group) would be the best course of action. Doing that will also give you an indication of who has the best/worst outlook.

crashdive123
07-22-2015, 06:16 AM
As was taught in the Boy Scouts, and is still promoted in Boy's Life Magazine (I used to really look forward to that magazine)....

http://boyslife.org/outdoors/1200/trail-tips-lost-in-the-woods/