PDA

View Full Version : Key chain readiness kit

hoosierarcher
04-17-2008, 06:38 PM
I don't really like the term suvival kit as we who plan for the contigencies of our hobbys can actual not just survive but live off the land. So this is what I prefer to call a readiness kit I have on my keychain.
It starts with a carabiner
a nylon strap between it and the key ring with a compass and thermometer on it
first ring has a second and a red machined aluminum fob made to be used as a pill safe that is a mini first aid kit with 8 aspirin, 8 benedryl, 8 imodium, 4 1000 mg ibuprophen and 3 adhesive bandages as large as fit. Also topped with a cotton ball(tinder).
Second ring has the third and fourth rings and the keys on it with a mini ferro rod and a Doan magnesium bar with ferro rod on it's ball chain.
Third ring has a Victorinox Swiss Army Farmer model(has a blade, can opener, cap lifter, awl and saw. The best all round pocket knife of those I've tested so far.
Fourth ring has a black machined aluminum pill safe that contains a mini fishing kit 3 No.8 hooks, one triple swivel, 3 spilt shot (1/8 oz, 1/4 ounce and 1/2 ounce), and a float tightly wrapped with 8 pound Trilene Ultrathin fishing line, and a small tube of super glue.
This clips to my belt or beltloop and then goes into my left front pocket and is hardly noticed. I came up with this because I know of few men that ever leave their keys behind.

crashdive123
04-17-2008, 06:50 PM
Sounds interesting. Got any pics of it?

hoosierarcher
04-17-2008, 06:52 PM
Sorry no and I wouldn't know how to post them here if I did.

Rick
04-17-2008, 07:11 PM
Here's a link on posting pictures:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1318

hoosierarcher
04-18-2008, 12:22 AM
Thanks Rick

Rick
04-18-2008, 08:31 AM
Here's the one I carry. The small silver tube holds char cloth. The small black knobby thing in the lower center is a cord lock compass.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=186&d=1204992715

Last Mohican
04-18-2008, 08:56 AM
Great idea.

I always carry a magnesium fire starter with a junk pocket knife ( for striking the flint without messing up my good knife ) on the same ball chain in my pocket. On my key ring, I have my dog tag ( just in case I bump my head on a rock and get amnesia, more likely the rock would crack into a million little pieces ) P-?# Can opener ( opening cans, skinning small game, ripping cloth, etc. ) And two 10' lengths of 550 cord braided into a long square shaped key fob.

hoosierarcher
04-18-2008, 01:37 PM
I file sharpen the inside edge of my awl on the Swiss Army Farmer knife and use that to scrape the ferro rod on the Doan to make a spark and thereby save the edge on the knife blade. In addition to this I have a multi-tool in a sheath on my belt and a pocket chainsaw in my cargo pocket. But this is a good, "If I forgot everything else" kit

smokelessfire
04-18-2008, 02:10 PM
thats all nice but you can make any of those with whats out there in nature. pain relief can come from the white willow bark, etc. fish hooks from bone or wood. creativity is the best survival kit.

Rick
04-18-2008, 02:26 PM
Smokeless - You bet and we've talked about all of those on here. You're right about creativity but it's still nice to have ready made survival gear when the chips are down.;)

crashdive123
04-18-2008, 04:21 PM
Rick - where did you pick up your cord-lock compass?

Rick
04-18-2008, 04:30 PM
I actually sell them.

crashdive123
04-18-2008, 04:33 PM
Thanks. I'll check your site.

hoosierarcher
04-19-2008, 02:38 AM
Smokeless, I think we all know that our pwn powers of creativity will be called intoplay in the event of an unforeseen event, regardless of what amount of gear we have at the time. I'm sure we've all heard the axiom, "The more you carry in your head the less you have to carry on your back." However even if one knew everything having a few things with you that are convinient to carry and still make life easier isn't a bad thing.

Rick
04-19-2008, 06:59 AM
Good post, Remy and you are right on the mark. Hard to light a match if your motor skills are impaired or you are shaking from early hypothermia.

By the way, I appreciate the gorilla analogy. I've always thought that I scream, hit, run and bite like a girl. A gorilla sounds a lot more manly. Thanks! At least it makes me feel better.

mbarnatl
04-19-2008, 11:27 PM
Build Your Own Survival Keychain (http://www.survivalkeychain.com/build.asp).

Arkansas_Ranger
04-20-2008, 10:35 PM
Cabella's carries, or carried, a brass match holder with a compass in the cap. It's waterproof. I took the little survival kit out of the handle of a "survival knife" when I was younger (10 yrs ago)and stuffed into the match holder. As I recall it had bandaids, line weights, fish hooks, a wire saw, fishing line, and I can't remember what else in it. That along with a good pocket knife would make a good little kit. It mimics what the OP mentions.

dilligaf2u2
04-22-2008, 12:03 PM
A swiss key could come in handy. I carry one. Only used it once but I was glad I had it.

Don

Arkansas_Ranger
04-27-2008, 07:14 PM
I carry a swiss army knife that I've had since 3rd grade. I'm 26 now. Don's saying "swiss key" made me think of that. I got it during my McGyver phase, and it's been quite useful.

bulrush
04-28-2008, 10:59 AM
first ring has a second and a red machined aluminum fob made to be used as a pill safe that is a mini first aid kit with 8 aspirin, 8 benedryl, 8 imodium, 4 1000 mg ibuprophen and 3 adhesive bandages as large as fit. Also topped with a cotton ball(tinder).

Good lord, that first fob must be the size of a gallon of milk!

Sam
04-29-2008, 02:02 AM
Cabella's carries, or carried, a brass match holder with a compass in the cap. It's waterproof. I took the little survival kit out of the handle of a "survival knife" when I was younger (10 yrs ago)and stuffed into the match holder. As I recall it had bandaids, line weights, fish hooks, a wire saw, fishing line, and I can't remember what else in it. That along with a good pocket knife would make a good little kit. It mimics what the OP mentions.

Hello Arkansas Ranger, I have a K&M matchsafe that is brass w/Sunnuto compass. It has a life time warranty and is made in the US. It seals with a double O-ring and comes in several models, I got the long one that fits REI lifeboat matches. If you are looking to get another one I think you might like these.

hoosierarcher
05-03-2008, 02:00 PM
Build Your Own Survival Keychain (http://www.survivalkeychain.com/build.asp).

this link no longer works for me. I think their server went belly up. That's depressing becaus ethey have the keychain medicine safe fobs for less than half price of the other places I have found them.
I was thinking I could actually make these up and sell them and not go broke trying.

carpet_ninja
05-03-2008, 02:59 PM
whats a fob:eek:

rick, whats the url for your web site

Rick
05-03-2008, 03:13 PM
In this case, a fob is a metal tube used to hold items such as pills. I sent my address via PM.

carpet_ninja
05-03-2008, 03:44 PM
thanks, where can i get fobs?

Rick
05-03-2008, 06:09 PM
Here are some fobs that could be used. Would work as a waterproof match holder, too.

http://theepicenter.com/camping_hiking_and_backpacking_accessories.html

You can google bison tube and a lot of sites will display. That's what the little metal tubes are called.

hoosierarcher
05-03-2008, 08:41 PM
Thanks For That Rick.

Sam
05-03-2008, 11:48 PM
this link no longer works for me. I think their server went belly up. That's depressing becaus ethey have the keychain medicine safe fobs for less than half price of the other places I have found them.
I was thinking I could actually make these up and sell them and not go broke trying.

Try a place called EDC.com I think that is the place. You can find stuff like that .

carpet_ninja
05-04-2008, 02:07 AM
Here are some fobs that could be used. Would work as a waterproof match holder, too.

http://theepicenter.com/camping_hiking_and_backpacking_accessories.html

You can google bison tube and a lot of sites will display. That's what the little metal tubes are called.

thanks rick

Rick
05-04-2008, 10:20 AM
Sam - You got confused. That's the dress shop. You probably just remembered it after you purchased that skirt.:D