PDA

View Full Version : City Dweller Pen

Rick
10-02-2014, 07:48 AM
I ran across this contraption and thought it might be of use to some. Last winter my BIL was working a storm break in the Northeast, New York I think, and they were stopped by the cops because they had pocket knives. The external clip on the knife presented a "danger" to the officers so they gave them a hard time even though the knives were work knives. They threatened to arrest them and tried repeatedly to get the knives to open by gravity. Only the fact that they were there restoring power kept them from being arrested according to my BIL who now has a special kind of fondness for New York cops. Anywhoo....if you live in a local where stupid reigns this product might keep you out of hot water and it's pretty inexpensive.

http://www.madblacksmith.com/citydwellers.html

hunter63
10-02-2014, 10:41 AM
That's kind of interesting........I guess I hadn't been concerned about the exposed clip.

I did have it pointed out to me when visiting a collage for work.....but was just asked what it was by the rent a cop at the door.
Had a work uniform and tool case.

One of those thing you don't think about till it happens.

LowKey
10-03-2014, 08:01 PM
Mess with the guys restoring your power? Brilliant.
City of Boston has a stupid strict knife ordinance but make exceptions for "tradesmen."
Convincing a LEO that you are indeed a tradesman though...that takes tact.

The lanyard is an interesting idea. Would take a little retrieval practice.

Williepete
10-05-2014, 01:06 PM
Years ago servicing copy equipment we needed good flashlights. The company issued ones were junk, I found the little mini-mag two AA cell lights. I got a belt holster for it. One time a woman asked me if I was carrying mace. Have no idea where that came from. had to laugh at that. Have always just carried a folding pocket knife.

Bill

Phaedrus
10-05-2014, 05:58 PM
It's amazing how many restrictions people living in large urban centers labor under. I recall Spyderco making a couple lines of knives just for people living under repressive regimes (eg Chicago, New York, London). Curiously my SD CCW permit allows me to carry a brace of pistols if I like but not a big fixed blade knife. Although to be honest I don't even know what the legality of carry a big knife is here since I can't imagine doing it.

hunter63
10-05-2014, 06:16 PM
It's amazing how many restrictions people living in large urban centers labor under. I recall Spyderco making a couple lines of knives just for people living under repressive regimes (eg Chicago, New York, London). Curiously my SD CCW permit allows me to carry a brace of pistols if I like but not a big fixed blade knife. Although to be honest I don't even know what the legality of carry a big knife is here since I can't imagine doing it.

Good point.....
Example
http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Chicago-Plain-Knife-Black/dp/B0056NM2WK

Phaedrus
10-06-2014, 01:41 AM
Yeah, I was specifically thinking of the Chicago. They also make slipjoint versions of some of their popular knives for locales with regimes so repressive as to proscribe lockbacks.

canid
10-06-2014, 04:00 AM
It's a certain kind of special that the thing which prevents their being a concealed weapon was the problem for the officers in question.

Ken
10-06-2014, 08:46 AM
Guaranteed that thing will soon appear on posters on every police station notice board. I keep up with the latest toys by regularly reading the "weapons warnings" posted in court lock-up areas. I can see it now.... "Show me your pen. Take it out of your pocket s l o w l y."

finallyME
10-06-2014, 09:15 AM
When I saw the title of the thread, I thought "fenced enclosure for city dwellers".

crashdive123
10-06-2014, 12:02 PM
When I saw the title of the thread, I thought "fenced enclosure for city dwellers".

Now that right there is funny - I don't care who you are.