PDA

View Full Version : Planning on living in the woods up north for the next few years...

Woc
04-17-2008, 05:00 AM
Like the above says....

I just need to get away and be free and not bother with with the stupidness in todays society. So I have come to the conclusion that I need to be with nature until nature makes me wealthy.

I have my own means of making money with the help of nature. But right now I am on a tight budget and the only money I have would be the money to get me up north with my crapmobile.

So what I was wondering is... I expect my self to live in the bush all year long for who knows how long. The thing is I don't got the tools to make a big/small fancy log cabin. IS THERE ANY WAY FOR ME TO MAKE A YEAR-ROUND HOME FOR ME?I was thinking of building an earth home but I am not sure... But I want you peoples best advice... I am a good fisherman. I have the imagination to create wonderful traps. I got a pellet gun and a bunch of bird/squirel feed so hunting won't be too hard:)

So yea what I want to know is the best home for me to make... that is all year round good.

thank you:)

crashdive123
04-17-2008, 07:29 AM
Hey Woc - it would be helpful for those answering to know a bit about you...hobbies, experience, general age, etc. You can do it in the introduction section here http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14

rebel
04-17-2008, 08:00 AM
Most places will not let you stay for longer than two weeks. Folks will not like seeing a homesteader and stand-by for questioning from the law enforcement. You had better plan on a hunting and fishing license. You will need an address for that. Where do you plan to do this? If you've got it all figured out then I would go for the canvas tent/tepee and wood stove. Then, if you have to move it would be easier. I would also have a cot and a good cold weather sleeping bag.

This thread brings up a thought for discussion. When, not if, the local law enforcement shows up at your campsite. What are some things that would be prudent for the officer to see and not see? I would think a neat and tidy site. Not a bunch of dead animal pelts and trash. Personal appearance should be clean and not disheveled looking. No firearms present and an open friendly attitude. I don't think I would have anything around to make the folks think any less than they are going to expect. i.e. "crapmobile". Thats just off the top thinking and I'm sure there is more.

Rick
04-17-2008, 08:09 AM
Woc - Sorry but your request tells me you don't have a tremendous amount of field experience. Where do you plan to go? What do you plan to take with you..what kind of gear? A pellet gun and bird seed won't be worth much. You can't eat the pellet gun and eating the bird seed will get pretty dull after a while. That's about the only thing you're going to do with it.

We need to know a whole lot more about your plans than what you've posted before we offer up any real advice.

klkak
04-17-2008, 02:46 PM
Sounds like someone either read the book or seen the movie "Into the wild". Moving into the wild especialy "Up north" is a deadly idea unless you have a great deal of experience and the supplys and equipment. My advice is to start small. Learn everything you can over the next couple of years. While you are doing that, save your money and start buying the equipment you will need. Also, I would suggest not planning to live on land you dont own, you will only get your feeling hurt by whom ever owns the land. You will gain much more satisfaction building a place of your own, that you cant be run off of.

vagrant
04-17-2008, 03:29 PM
Sounds like someone either read the book or seen the movie "Into the wild". ...

Sounds like it to me too. This movie is soo misleading. The guy died from stupidity and ignorance. Listen to these folks here and prepare,learn, and practice before even entertaining thoughts of living off the land. From what I have read on this site, these folks could teach you a lot if you have the patience and right mindset to listen. Just my 2 cents. :)

trax
04-17-2008, 04:00 PM
Also, I would suggest not planning to live on land you dont own, you will only get your feeling hurt by whom ever owns the land.

Might get more than your feelings hurt, some of them wilderness farmers are real sensitive about protecting their crops (could be what they're growing) fellas with stills tend toward the same kind of thinking. Few farmers around these parts are still apt to have a 12 guage loaded with rock salt sitting just inside their back door too....

wildWoman
04-17-2008, 05:54 PM
I understand the appeal of the idea to live by yourself in the woods, in a simple way. My partner and I had that dream too, and now we actually do live this way and it's beautiful.

I would highly recommend to you to start your carreer in the north a bit different, so that you maximize your chance to make a success out of it. Too many people fail at it because they just pack up their gear, stake out a tipi in the woods and expect to live off the land. It won't work, not for long. 99.9% of these people fail and go back to town, convinced it can't be done.
You stand an excellent chance at success if you allow yourself to learn the skills you'll need for any long-term stay (building, making firewood, growing, foraging for and hunting food, coping with isolation, becoming Mr Fix-it).
Consider doing the following (this is how I and my boyfriend did it): find yourself a small northern village, 300 people or less, with no big towns within a 4 hour drive. You'll most likely be able to pick up some sort of part-time job (everybody works part-time here) and some dilapidated cabin some miles outside the village without running water or electricity to rent for very little money. Rent one for just a few months to get the hang of it. In the winters housesitters are always sought, but people expect the person to be experienced with wood heat, sled dogs, generators, kerosene lamps etc. In the summers, you can camp. While you sort of hang out, meeting people through your few hours of work, you'll be able to pick up the necessary skills and find out what you can do without and what you can't. Do it for a year, or at the very least for an entire winter, because that's when you'll need to be up to snuff on all your skills. By then you'll know people, they'll know you, and you may be able to arrange something like staying in someone's trapline cabin or outfitter cabin, maybe in exchange for fixing it up.
I think it's vital you get yourself familiar with the place, the people and the skills you need before attempting to become a backwoods hermit. The land is unforgiving, and the people who've lived here for decades all their lives do not take kindly to people on some back-to-the-land trip, squatting in their cabins or on their land.
It may cause fewer "oohs" and "aahs" when you tell your buddies you'll start outside some little village, but it'll get you where you want to be in the long run. Or you find out that it's not your cup of tea, and that's good too, because at least you went ahead and tried.

Woc
04-17-2008, 06:26 PM
Ok Well I am 18 years of age... I am a survivalist, and have always been one since the age of 5. I am very handy. I can pretty much make any type of fort but it always takes me forever because my imagination always gets in the way because I always think of a new possible way to improve something.

I also want to go there to become physically fit... Practice my meditation and practice my rune magic. And to become one with nature.

Where I plan to go in northern Ontario back to my old town... Ever since I left there my life went to ****. So I want to go back and start new. There is a vast amount of wilderness so much forest. So I know for a fact my "place" won't be found.

There is a big fountain thingy with fresh natural water probably about a good 10-15 minute walk from where I be making my place. So water is not of a problem. There is so many lakes and creeks that fish will be very abundant. When I was like 7 years old I caught 15 catfish ranging from 8-20 inches by hand in the creek near the fresh water. There is also pike and trout and perch in that creek.

As for supplies... my timberland boots 2 pairs of shoes... snow boots... pellet gun for squirrels rabbits. Lots of cloths lots of canned food lots of rice oatmeal, pasta, tea, pots pans. my tarps my saw and tiny hatchet. Oh and can't forget my runic books and other books like the dictionary and thesaurus and my animal tracks book.

so that is about it if you have anymore questions feel free to ask:)

crashdive123
04-17-2008, 06:45 PM
I hope I don't offend you with what I'm about to say. Seems like you are basing your dream on what you remember when you were seven years old. (fountain thingy and 15 catfish) With the information that you have provided, I would not recommend undertaking the journey that you describe. Listen to Wildwoman. She did what you are seeking to do. IMO if you proceed with your plan with no more prepartation than you describe, you wil die. (Yeah, I know that's blunt) Follow your dream, but do it in a sensible way so that you can live your dream. With the plan that you describe, I fear you will only experience a nightmare.

Alpine_Sapper
04-17-2008, 07:05 PM
All I can say, and this is based solely on what I've read from you, is that if you do choose to go forward with your current intentions, may Odin grant you luck and wisdom in your venture. You're going to need lots of both.

Off topic: Are you a member of Thorsson's RuneGuild?

Woc
04-17-2008, 07:21 PM
I hope I don't offend you with what I'm about to say. Seems like you are basing your dream on what you remember when you were seven years old. (fountain thingy and 15 catfish) With the information that you have provided, I would not recommend undertaking the journey that you describe. Listen to Wildwoman. She did what you are seeking to do. IMO if you proceed with your plan with no more prepartation than you describe, you wil die. (Yeah, I know that's blunt) Follow your dream, but do it in a sensible way so that you can live your dream. With the plan that you describe, I fear you will only experience a nightmare.

I can't die because I won't. You will die first. Fountain thingy... Water duh... You can't live with out water... Fish food duh you can't live with out food.. There is also a vast amount of blueberries and strawberries fruits duh. dang you people...

crashdive123
04-17-2008, 07:22 PM
Woc - If you don't like the answer, don't ask the question.

Woc
04-17-2008, 07:31 PM
Woc - If you don't like the answer, don't ask the question.

Well don't give a ridiculous answer.

Rick
04-17-2008, 07:34 PM
Then go forth and enjoy, my friend. You asked, we responded. If it isn't the answer you want then seek out others and continue to seek them out until someone responds with what you want to hear.

Alpine_Sapper
04-17-2008, 07:34 PM
lol. So first impressions apparently do ring true...

I hope your "Rune Magick" books have a "Summon Food And Water" spell.

gtfa.

Woc
04-17-2008, 07:39 PM
lol. So first impressions apparently do ring true...

I hope your "Rune Magick" books have a "Summon Food And Water" spell.

gtfa.

Ignorance is in these forums I see.

And my question has not yet been answered. What would be a good home to construct that will keep me warm all winter. and cool during the summer. But not a log cabin.

Rick
04-17-2008, 07:42 PM
You need to take a step back. You come on here and insult the members and then expect them to assist you? Answer the questions that have been asked of you then maybe, if you check your attitude, you might get some answers.

Woc
04-17-2008, 07:45 PM
You need to take a step back. You come on here and insult the members and then expect them to assist you? Answer the questions that have been asked of you then maybe, if you check your attitude, you might get some answers.

NO NO NO crashdrive insulted me. Did I insult back no... And I answered the ****ing questions like dam. You people need to smoke a joint n chill.

Alpine_Sapper
04-17-2008, 07:46 PM
Ignorance is in these forums I see.

Yep, sure is. I was just bustin your balls about the rune magic because of your attitude, and because you never answered my earlier question regarding the runeguild.

but, at least I'm not ignorant of the type of shelters I should build to survive the winter. :cool: And I'm also not ignorant enough to wander off into the wilderness for the winter and hope to find berries. duh. :p

crashdive123
04-17-2008, 07:47 PM
Woc - there are probably no posters on this forum that will facilitate in your early demize. Besides, why would you seek knowledge from those that you describe as ignorant?

Woc
04-17-2008, 07:53 PM
Because I was not aware of it. Until now!

Alls I came here for is answers not dip**** comments that little kids make about dying and such. I am not a retard. I am very smart when it comes to survivalism. All I want is grown up answers.

And to answer one of them, No I am not familiar to this runeguild-guide thing. The runes are to gather more energy for my punches I am a fast striker so If I become faster then I will become the fastest striker in the world. From then with the peace of nature and the money I make from growing marijuana I will be able to buy my land build a home buy a truck train mma do competitions win them. N life if set. That is something I am willing to do.

crashdive123
04-17-2008, 07:58 PM
Woc - a question for you and a comment. The question - how did I insult you? The comment - Since you are very smart when it comes to survivalism, good luck with your quest.

Rick
04-17-2008, 07:59 PM
Actually, Crash didn't insult you. If you took it that way then that really is your problem. He actually made a pretty good post. I agree with it and I'm sure others on here do as well. You asked a question that couldn't be answered with the information you provided. Some follow up questions were asked but you chose not to answer them. They are pertinent to your question. Is north to you Illinois? Michigan? Northern Manitoba? Above the Arctic Circle? You see? It makes a difference. And you didn't bother to answer that. And what type of gear you have also makes a difference. Backpack? Survival Kit? How much food? What other gear? So you see? You didn't answer the fu***** questions. Like Dam. So, I'll stand by my last post. If you answer the questions you might get an answer.

If all you are taking is a pellet gun and bird seed then you should expect to receive what you'll get.

rebel
04-17-2008, 08:01 PM
Hey Woc. We really want to help. However, if the answer is not what you expected because we feel different are we wrong. We do not want your experience to be a failure. We want it to be positive. So, please do not be insulted if we ask questions that may differ from what you expected. If you know better than the combined 1000 years of experience then tell us when you get back.

Alpine_Sapper
04-17-2008, 08:09 PM
And to answer one of them, No I am not familiar to this runeguild-guide thing. The runes are to gather more energy for my punches I am a fast striker so If I become faster then I will become the fastest striker in the world. From then with the peace of nature and the money I make from growing marijuana I will be able to buy my land build a home buy a truck train mma do competitions win them. N life if set. That is something I am willing to do.

I'm betting a fiew of those "Rune Magic" books you have were written by a guy named Edred Thorrson. Maybe you should check him out and see what ELSE he does other than rune magic, especially since ALL of the people writing books about it are basing their stuff off of HIM. But you obviously don't have a clue about what your dabbling in.

Now, go grow your pot, and carve runes on your knuckles or whatever you choose to do. If you come back, if you can get past the IRS wanting to know where you got the money to buy your land and truck , come down here to San Antone. If you can beat me in the ring I'll hook you up with a promotoer to get you started in MMA fights. But ain't no runic BS gonna help you there, esse.

If you wanna learn we'll teach you. But you can't come in here expectng us to give you the magic bullet that will keep you alive in the northern wilderness over the winter and get mad when we don't. You need to do some research. You need to practice, and if you're gonna ask for advise you need to listen to it. Whether you do it or not, that's up to you. But don't insult those wiser than you simply because they told you your plans will get you killed. If you're such a smart survivalist why are you asking these n00b questions anyway?

Woc
04-17-2008, 08:11 PM
Ok Well I am 18 years of age... I am a survivalist, and have always been one since the age of 5. I am very handy. I can pretty much make any type of fort but it always takes me forever because my imagination always gets in the way because I always think of a new possible way to improve something.

I also want to go there to become physically fit... Practice my meditation and practice my rune magic. And to become one with nature.

Where I plan to go in northern Ontario back to my old town... Ever since I left there my life went to ****. So I want to go back and start new. There is a vast amount of wilderness so much forest. So I know for a fact my "place" won't be found.

There is a big fountain thingy with fresh natural water probably about a good 10-15 minute walk from where I be making my place. So water is not of a problem. There is so many lakes and creeks that fish will be very abundant. When I was like 7 years old I caught 15 catfish ranging from 8-20 inches by hand in the creek near the fresh water. There is also pike and trout and perch in that creek.

As for supplies... my timberland boots 2 pairs of shoes... snow boots... pellet gun for squirrels rabbits. Lots of cloths lots of canned food lots of rice oatmeal, pasta, tea, pots pans. my tarps my saw and tiny hatchet. Oh and can't forget my runic books and other books like the dictionary and thesaurus and my animal tracks book.

so that is about it if you have anymore questions feel free to ask:)

Lots of answers here make due with it. northern ontario canada not california

Rick
04-17-2008, 08:14 PM
Take a tarp. Make due with it. I'm done with you, kid.

Woc
04-17-2008, 08:19 PM
I'm betting a fiew of those "Rune Magic" books you have were written by a guy named Edred Thorrson. Maybe you should check him out and see what ELSE he does other than rune magic, especially since ALL of the people writing books about it are basing their stuff off of HIM. But you obviously don't have a clue about what your dabbling in.

Now, go grow your pot, and carve runes on your knuckles or whatever you choose to do. If you come back, if you can get past the IRS wanting to know where you got the money to buy your land and truck , come down here to San Antone. If you can beat me in the ring I'll hook you up with a promotoer to get you started in MMA fights. But ain't no runic BS gonna help you there, esse.

If you wanna learn we'll teach you. But you can't come in here expectng us to give you the magic bullet that will keep you alive in the northern wilderness over the winter and get mad when we don't. You need to do some research. You need to practice, and if you're gonna ask for advise you need to listen to it. Whether you do it or not, that's up to you. But don't insult those wiser than you simply because they told you your plans will get you killed. If you're such a smart survivalist why are you asking these n00b questions anyway?

I don't follow other rune books I write my own books. The only thing I have copied from books are the runes and there meanings. IRS can **** off. I won that money in poker! I will never have tattoos. There is absolutely nothing wrong with marijuana if you are against marijuana then you are a wilderness poser. But I prefer to train mma in canada. I don't got a passport and I am not waiting a year to get one. Maybe in the future. which i doubt 80-90% of humanity will even exist in the next 4 years... So perhaps going into the wild and away from major cities will keep me alive.

Woc
04-17-2008, 08:20 PM
I don't follow other rune books I write my own books. The only thing I have copied from books are the runes and there meanings. IRS can **** off. I won that money in poker! I will never have tattoos. There is absolutely nothing wrong with marijuana if you are against marijuana then you are a wilderness poser. But I prefer to train mma in canada. I don't got a passport and I am not waiting a year to get one. Maybe in the future. which i doubt 80-90% of humanity will even exist in the next 4 years... So perhaps going into the wild and away from major cities will keep me alive.

and no one has still answered my question!

rebel
04-17-2008, 08:35 PM
Every week someone like this shows up! They ask all these idiotic questions not really wanting to hear the correct answers. When they don't get the answer they want to hear then we are to blame. I don't get it. They certainly don't get it. What makes these folks think like this? Are they part of the "Darwin folk" not destined to survive? It makes me very sad. There is a break down in our society. A lack of respect for our elders and their experiences. Are our schools to blame? Is it because of no home with dad saying WTF? The pendulum is going to swing the other way one day, after a major breakdown.

Woc
04-17-2008, 08:41 PM
Every week someone like this shows up! They ask all these idiotic questions not really wanting to hear the correct answers. When they don't get the answer they want to hear then we are to blame. I don't get it. They certainly don't get it. What makes these folks think like this? Are they part of the "Darwin folk" not destined to survive? It makes me very sad. There is a break down in our society. A lack of respect for our elders and their experiences. Are our schools to blame? Is it because of no home with dad saying WTF? The pendulum is going to swing the other way one day, after a major breakdown.

NO its because you people don't give "right answers"

example: timmy " What shelter to I need to build".... John " your going to die"

That is what I am seeing. Give the answers that they ask not the answers they don't want to hear and have to relation to the question... feel my vibe?

Sourdough
04-17-2008, 08:42 PM
Woc, I will answer your question. If I was going to do what you intend to do; I would take a good fire resistant Wall tent, and good wood stove and stove pipe. I would take a 10'X12' or larger wall tent. If you do a search under the word wall tent, you will find past posts where I have talked about living for (2) years in the Savage river country, (Denali National Park) even at 65 degrees BELOW. That will tell you how to insulate it for year around use.

Woc
04-17-2008, 08:44 PM
Woc, I will answer your question. If I was going to do what you intend to do; I would take a good fire resistant Wall tent, and good wood stove and stove pipe. I would take a 10'X12' or larger wall tent. If you do a search under the word wall tent, you will find past posts where I have talked about living for (2) years in the Savage river country, (Denali National Park) even at 65 degrees BELOW.

What If I don't have a wall tent or any kind of tent and I don't have a wood stove lol.

BraggSurvivor
04-17-2008, 08:48 PM
What If I don't have a wall tent or any kind of tent and I don't have a wood stove lol.

I'm sorry to say......you will die.

BraggSurvivor
04-17-2008, 08:49 PM

You drive a straight nail rebel.

Woc
04-17-2008, 08:50 PM
I'm sorry to say......you will die.

How am I going to die?

lets see your reasons.

and i'll correct them so I don't die.

rebel
04-17-2008, 08:51 PM
My answer was post #3. Tent / tepee. You got an answer and a reason for the my choice of a tent or tepee. So, why all the blow up on not getting an answer? Here's an idea... grow your pot, go to jail and then you will not have to build anything. We'll pay for your education, medical procedures, food and exercise. OH! one draw-back. You will be Bubba's new friend. SQUEEL like a pig. WEEE, WEEE, WEEE!

Woc
04-17-2008, 08:53 PM
My answer was post #3. Tent / tepee. You got an answer and a reason for the my choice of a tent or tepee. So, why all the blow up on not getting an answer? Here's an idea... grow your pot, go to jail and then you will not have to build anything. We'll pay for your education, medical procedures, food and exercise. OH! one draw-back. You will be Bubba's new friend. SQUEEL like a pig. WEEE, WEEE, WEEE!

Ignorance yet again.

is there any other year round shelter besides a tent?

Sourdough
04-17-2008, 08:54 PM
Get a rubberized loincloth and go for it.

Sourdough
04-17-2008, 08:56 PM
Ignorance yet again.

Lots of homeless people use cardboard boxes..........

rebel
04-17-2008, 08:57 PM
What's the liabilty for wrong advise?

Alpine_Sapper
04-17-2008, 08:59 PM
lol. He could always use Bravo.Alpha.1000.nst ring shelter.

Rick
04-17-2008, 08:59 PM
Whose going to sue you if there is no body? He'll be grizzly scat. What are you worried about?

Alpine_Sapper
04-17-2008, 09:01 PM
What's the liabilty for wrong advise?

Well, he could potentially sue you *if* he made it back alive, and IF the moderators offered up your name when subpoena'd, but, uh, one look at the direction this thread has gone and the judge would laugh the case out of court.

Tahyo
04-17-2008, 09:03 PM
um... the air is full of Troll this evening.

BraggSurvivor
04-17-2008, 09:04 PM
Get a rubberized loincloth and go for it.

Thats not funny hopeak, my wife makes me wear one every third wednesday night. :(

:D

rebel
04-17-2008, 09:05 PM
How am I going to die?

lets see your reasons.

and i'll correct them so I don't die.

You would be a first.

Woc
04-17-2008, 09:07 PM
I bet I could slit ur throat before u would even know I am infront of you.

rebel
04-17-2008, 09:09 PM

Now that made me chuckle! Better get in line.

Tahyo
04-17-2008, 09:09 PM

Mods, don't you think this kind of stuff is a little below the standards of this site?

nell67
04-18-2008, 02:44 AM
Ignorance yet again.

Yes there is,when you get wherever you are going,dig a grave,it'll save someone the trouble when they find your body.:rolleyes:

canid
04-18-2008, 03:04 AM
is he gollum precious? is he trollish?

Sam
04-18-2008, 03:16 AM
Ignorance yet again.

Dig a hole to sleep in, put a tarp over it to shelter you. That way when you freeze the hole is ready to go. I think you don't get the idea of planning. I hope you do better than we think.

Woc
04-18-2008, 03:47 AM
Dig a hole to sleep in, put a tarp over it to shelter you. That way when you freeze the hole is ready to go. I think you don't get the idea of planning. I hope you do better than we think.

I see all of you are jealous because i know how to build a shelter a perfect one i came here to see if any of you were knowledgeable of course I was right again because none of you are.

canid
04-18-2008, 03:52 AM
you're a lame troll and probably rather chumpish. you have no idea what we know how to do. you waste your lame assed little life playing internet games. if you actualy have any desire to head out to the woods, go. get lost while you're at it.

play away kid. maybe i just feel like being a d#$k today, but here's to you.

Pearlus
04-18-2008, 04:52 AM
Hi Woc, I've been reading your "planning on living in the woods..." and all replies etc. You're obviously angry at life - and believe me, I totally get it (I'm not that happy with the way things work either!) and would so totally love to do exactly what you are talking about (although it wouldn't be North I'd go - too cold and I live in Africa :-)). But I really do think these people are genuinely trying to help you - please try and listen to them because I think it will help you. Good luck on whatever you decide anyway.

Aurelius95
04-18-2008, 06:48 AM
I think this kid is just playing. He's probably sitting at the computer lab at school typing with his friends, or perhaps in his basement "apartment" at his parent's house. His responses are just trying to elicit the types of responses he's been getting. Seriously, how does one measure "strike speed" and if he's the fastest in the world? LOL

BTW: WildWoman, excellent post way back on page 1. Great advice!

Woc
04-18-2008, 07:01 AM
I think this kid is just playing. He's probably sitting at the computer lab at school typing with his friends, or perhaps in his basement "apartment" at his parent's house. His responses are just trying to elicit the types of responses he's been getting. Seriously, how does one measure "strike speed" and if he's the fastest in the world? LOL

BTW: WildWoman, excellent post way back on page 1. Great advice!

how does one measure the speed of a pitch

Tahyo
04-18-2008, 07:06 AM
I think Woc and Pearlus are one in the same. Don't feed the troll people.

Rick
04-18-2008, 08:43 AM
This is another thread that has denigrated and no longer contains any relevant information. I"ve closed it.