PDA

View Full Version : Box Elder bugs....and Asian Beetles

hunter63
09-29-2014, 01:15 PM
That time of year again......These pests are everywhere.
Box Elder bugs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxelder_bug

Seems these are native to North America......as are the Box elder tree....type of maple.

Then the Asian beetles.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonia_axyridis

These are imported to control aphids and scale disease.

They are everywhere, get in and collect.......on floor, walls, in cracks, and in the windows....

Make you wonder what the native Americans did for controlling them...or I suspect "just put up with them...as a part of nature.

Spraying with "Pest tabs dissolved in water does help a bit.....but even when the weather turns cold...they get in a hibernate...to come back out with any warmth.
Vacuum them up....they stink...as does the vacuum cleaner it self.
And do bite...not bad but annoying....

So how are y'all doing with eaithe or both of these?

Rick
09-29-2014, 01:23 PM
No too bad here. Box elder has it's years that they are everywhere. Last year was bad. This year I've seen a few but not really a nuisance. The same on the Asian beetles. We had them pretty bad for about three years but the last few years have been relatively quiet with them.

hunter63
09-29-2014, 01:30 PM
Around here they say the soybeans attract the beetles.....and all my fields have bean this year.....when they cut them the beetles go every where around.

MrFixIt
09-29-2014, 02:34 PM
We've had a problem with stinkbugs here in the last few weeks.
The ladybugs come and go, so I don't really mind them.

crashdive123
09-29-2014, 02:39 PM
Around here the boxelder bugs are bad in the spring. When they hatch out, the ground moves.......a lot.

natertot
09-29-2014, 04:17 PM
We've had a problem with stinkbugs here in the last few weeks.
The ladybugs come and go, so I don't really mind them.

Same here, we have stink bugs everywhere. In fact, there are 3 on the window screen in front of me right now!

Graf
09-29-2014, 06:42 PM
This was the first spring in 4 years i got to use my back deck because of Box elder bugs, however right now they are making a huge comeback, Best thing i have used to kill them is a pump up sprayer with dish soap and water, I kills hundreds at a time.

crashdive123
09-29-2014, 07:28 PM
This was the first spring in 4 years i got to use my back deck because of Box elder bugs, however right now they are making a huge comeback, Best thing i have used to kill them is a pump up sprayer with dish soap and water, I kills hundreds at a time.

If you can find a permetherin concentrate to use (follow label directions) it has a great knock down and pretty good residual.