PDA

View Full Version : has anyone ever found the perfect bugout bag.

hayshaker
09-27-2014, 08:26 AM
i post this question cause i and many others here as well i,m sure
have went thru a few packs i,m sure looking for the perfect bugout bag.
sure evreyones needs will vary like how far do you plan to travel, how much will it hold
without it giving you scoliosis.cost,weight,access to gear and soforth. so what is
the perfect bugout bag to you and why?

Rick
09-27-2014, 09:02 AM
Probably not and you stated the reason why. Needs change over time.

xjosh40x
09-27-2014, 09:16 AM
Also consider how long you BOB should be designed for. A simple get of of dodge, 24hr or 72hr. A regular school back bag makes a good con sealable readily escape bag. Does flash you as a well equipped target. As for a long term bag i like military ALLICE or MOLLE bags, vary in size but you should shop around and find what suits your needs

xjosh40x
09-27-2014, 09:20 AM
But like everyone who has a BOB they have several. I have a small one I carry to work, just a small green Backback with some clothes water food and few other everyday items. In my vehicle I have my two 24 hour bags, ones for an urban environment and other for woodland. And in my home I have my large bag with all the supplies I need for my family and myself. No bag will ever be perfect. To effectively have the "perfect" BOB your main component is the ability to adapt and overcome.

hayshaker
09-27-2014, 10:17 AM
for me i,m done i fianally decided on the USMC filbe coyote brown.
that,s the one. i wanted a eberlestock skycrane 2 but at 500 dollars
i.m not that rich.any how this pack fills all the requirements i have
in a long term pack.also it matches in color my harness and belt and vest.
so now my search is over .thankGOD

xjosh40x
09-27-2014, 10:28 AM
Good job. The USMC does have some good packs and the coyote color matches any environment. And if this is the pack I think you have it has several MOLLE options to adding things. Just remember that when you think you have what you need in your BOB you're always forgetting something. I learned the hard way. And it never hurts to do a trial run to see how your gear helps you or weighs you down.

hayshaker
09-27-2014, 10:49 AM
i have taken it out to do just that, and what i found is,the side mounted sustainment
pouches when added in open terrain work fine the minute you hit the bush it,s a whole other story.
i,ve found that you dont want to molle to much on back of pack unless you put all your lightest
items in those pouches cause it will cause you to lean that much more forward to maintain balance.
what i do is and it serves a few perposes is i keep as much gear as possible on my vest,belt,and recon butt pack.
so if for any reason i have to unass the main pack i still have enough gear to carry me a week food wise
and even longer otherwise. most of the molle pouches i try to keep on my harness,belt,and vest.

Old GI
09-27-2014, 11:58 AM
I have the solution to carrying anything and everything ----- How dare you call her a "Battered Old BAG"!!! Here she comes - oh this is going to hurt &)%(^%

Highhawk1948
09-27-2014, 06:53 PM
Look at the selections from Duluth Pack Company in Duluth, Minnesota. Tough, high quality, they are costly but will last almost forever.

hunter63
09-27-2014, 08:36 PM
One more thing...then I'm done.......Oh crap, I can't lift it......
Starting over.........

hayshaker
09-27-2014, 09:33 PM
oh gosh yer killing me here. ya gotta first see if you can lift it with out pulling your back.
then adjust accordingly.

Graf
09-28-2014, 06:23 AM
I have 2 BOB one is a Condor molle 3 day assualt pack tough as nails, coyote brown the other is a Large Alice pack, I like to do a 5 K hike on some local trails in different seasons here in Michigan, I beleive you should experience the weight and bulk in both hot and cold temps, wet/dry the changes and challenges are quite different and the expereince is worth the effort. Another challenge that I recommend is strapping your pack on and heading out in the dark with only a headlamp or moon lumination again you could be having to do this in actual conditions someday.

hayshaker
09-28-2014, 09:29 AM
oh yeah i can almost hear the coyotes now prepper it,s what,s fer dinner.

hunter63
09-28-2014, 10:25 AM
We have coyotes all over the place out here at "The Place" (cabin).....I guess these are more used to staying away from people....they tend to get shot at....

So HayS....they got vicious ones out there in Minn.?

hayshaker
09-28-2014, 01:39 PM
you go walking around out here at night alone and run across a pack.
thier real brave when it,s 8 or 10 to 1 you being the 1. oh yeah especially when they can see at night and we can,t
just saying.

finallyME
09-29-2014, 10:02 AM
for me i,m done i fianally decided on the USMC filbe coyote brown.
that,s the one. i wanted a eberlestock skycrane 2 but at 500 dollars
i.m not that rich.any how this pack fills all the requirements i have
in a long term pack.also it matches in color my harness and belt and vest.
so now my search is over .thankGOD

I was going to ask how you got a filbe for less than $500, but it looks like the price is dropping on them now.

hayshaker
09-29-2014, 11:43 AM
the pack is a eagle industries mfg. i got it on e-bay minus all the bells and whistles that come with it.
just pack and frame, belt,shoulder straps like that. i added every thing else

thehood
10-26-2014, 06:22 AM
If you are looking for a good pack that can hold you over for a good 3 or 4 days Mystery Ranch has a great tri-zip bag. It allows full access in a pinch and an adjustable harness for your back. I have used the Camelbak coyote brown version during my deployment and it has worked out great. We went out for 10 days and it was the only thing I needed. it has molly on it as well which isn't exactly a necessity but i have found it convenient to strap on random things i might need

wilderness medic
10-28-2014, 12:45 AM
There is no one perfect BOB in my opinion. It depends on your AO, assumed length of stay, season, wants vs needs.

Tokwan
10-28-2014, 01:42 AM
BOBs are usually very subjective. It varies on individuals and where they are.. I have a Kelty Back pack that I use for a BOB...I figured that a good backpack that can fit what I need and if its comfy for my trails..it should do.

MrFixIt
10-28-2014, 07:13 AM
I bought a bag several years ago (one from Wally World) with the intent of a BOB if ever needed.
Loaded that bad boy up with "essential" items, picked it up to try it on and realized that it weighed around 50 lbs.!
I decided then that a few items, along with food and water, would be all I needed if I ever decided I had to bug out.

Tokwan
10-28-2014, 08:20 PM
I would usually plan what I would need to carry, mostly would be survival essential and do not forget you important documents. Pool all these items together, then you will know how big a bag you will need to get. Then look for the most comfortable and the type you are willing to carry, which will fit all these items.,..walla.....you now have a BOB.

killersuraskill
11-03-2014, 05:49 PM
I would say it depends on your skills. Someone like me probably do not need so much equipment since I have a lot of experience with the climate that I live in and how to survive. But I would have something in the size of a school sack, this would be my bug out bag. And then have more equipment hidden that I can come back to.

Arctic Fox
11-04-2014, 07:26 PM
I agree with killersuraskill on the part about skill set. Back when I first made my bag I new very little and had to carry tons of extra weight in stuff I had to have because of lack of skill. Now four years later, my bag dropped from 50 to 20 pounds and most of the weight comes from my huge sleeping bag.

hayshaker
11-05-2014, 10:35 PM
artic fox but for any reason it,s a winter bugout tou may want that sleeping bag afterall.
btw what kid is it the sleeping bag i mean? i have a usgi mss modular sleep system bag and love it,s
flexibilty having multible bags and the bivy sack too.