PDA

View Full Version : A simple question . Please help!

Cameron_May27
09-22-2014, 04:12 PM
So I just had a question . Im new as you may know and I wanted you to help me with this one question . All answers are appreciated . Thanks a lot !

How do you gain like i guess you would call them membership points or bars ?

There may be more question post like this in the future .. Just to let you know .

hunter63
09-22-2014, 04:18 PM
In answer to your question...on this forum it's called "Reputation"....you give it to others with the "star" on the bottom tool bar next to "Blog this post"

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?3951-All-About-Reputation

RangerXanatos
09-22-2014, 04:26 PM
There are two things i think you could br refering to.

One is based on the amount of posts you make. Once you hit a certain number of posts, you will have the title "senior member" under your name. I believe it is 100 posts.

The other, and what i believe you are referencing, is called "reputation points." If you make a post that another member finds informative, they can give you reputation. The more reputation you recieve, the more green boxes you will recieve under your name. Most members don't place too much stock in the reputation points and it seems more like a novelty. But when you make a post and a member mentions giving you "rep" it can have a snowball affect and you can really rack up the points.

Hope that helps.

Lamewolf
09-22-2014, 04:36 PM
LOL, I've been on this forum for maybe a year and never even noticed the bars until you mentioned it ! Thanks for pointing them out......

Cameron_May27
09-22-2014, 04:50 PM
Thank you everyone .!

hunter63
09-22-2014, 04:50 PM
LOL....Like RX says, most don't pay too much attention to "the green balls"....always seems like you end up getting them when you least expect it........

Other times you think you are being really clever, or profound....and find out that it's more of a "What?...or "Oh, OK....." we aren't as cool sometimes as we think we are.......and it pays not to take one self too seriously....

Rick
09-22-2014, 05:16 PM
Just go to the Site, Quiz and Forum Feedback section. Everything you want to know about the forum is probably listed in that section.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?8-Site-Quiz-and-Forum-Feedback

Tokwan
09-22-2014, 09:02 PM
Now I know what those green bars are..........

finallyME
09-23-2014, 09:38 AM
There are two ways to get them

1. write a post that others like. Then they give you "rep". The more "rep" the more green thingies. Look at the six pointed star thingy at the bottom of someones bar, right next to "blog this post". Click on that star thingy, and you can add "rep" to someone else.

2. Be a moderator and add as many green thingies as you want. ;)

Why do I have this feeling that I will lose some of my green thingies for this?

hunter63
09-23-2014, 09:59 AM
double post

Double post ...not gonna help ya....LOL

Anyway....If the goal of a forum is to rack up "likes, points, reps,....bluh, bluh" as some forum are.....(kinda an extension of Fakebox) ..
This forum isn't for you.

I have been on some forums that any thread you start, it's required that you "like" every post...including the 'smilies'....

Around here,...... ideas, with tryouts, pic's, (been some fantastic pic's)....been there, done that, tutorials threads will get respect and "rep" from the members.

Rick
09-23-2014, 11:03 AM
Only the mods can give negative rep. We eliminated the negative rep because it always seems to be a way to "get even" with someone for something then a peeing contest gets started. Realize too that mods do write ups on how to's on the forum so we've received rep for that as well. Not just doing outdoor stuff.

I haven't used negative rep in a loooong time Lemme see....FinallyMe.....Ah, there it is.

Cameron_May27
09-23-2014, 07:21 PM
Yea . I was just wondering . Thanks for the answers though . I really appreciate it .

finallyME
09-24-2014, 09:44 AM
I have been on some forums that any thread you start, it's required that you "like" every post...including the 'smilies'....

I actually "like" this feature on other forums. The way I see it, I spent effort to start a post, and then they took the effort to somehow answer the question. So, by clicking "like" on their answer, I am thanking them for reading what I wrote, and then responding. And, it signifies to them, that the answer they spent time writing wasn't wasted. I read their answer and considered it.

On the two forums I spend the most time on.... this one and another one, there isn't this feature. And when a newbie comes and asks a good question, and then a bunch of the regulars..including me....spend a good amount of time answering the question, it is nice to know that the original poster has come back and at least read the responses.

Phaedrus
09-26-2014, 01:19 AM
I never noticed the bars either!:blushing:

oldsoldier
09-26-2014, 07:14 AM
LOL....Like RX says, most don't pay too much attention to "the green balls"....always seems like you end up getting them when you least expect it........

Other times you think you are being really clever, or profound....and find out that it's more of a "What?...or "Oh, OK....." we aren't as cool sometimes as we think we are.......and it pays not to take one self too seriously....

Very well said hunter! Gonna have to give you some green.... Er I mean rep for that! LOL

hunter63
09-26-2014, 12:25 PM
Thanks....See that's what I mean.....LOL

your_comforting_company
09-27-2014, 06:53 AM
I never noticed the "other forums"

hunter63
09-27-2014, 08:09 PM
Got a "notice" on one forum.......I wasn't giving enough "Likes".......I guess if you post something you are supposed to kike ALL the answers....even if they say "You are a Dumas".......LIKE.....LOL.

Dirty socks......."Get your dirty socks on Amazon dot com".......

Sarge47
09-28-2014, 09:26 AM

Had to give you some rep for that one...Couldn't find Ruth's phone number....:innocent:

hunter63
09-28-2014, 10:05 AM
Soooo, how many green balls for Ruth's number?

kyratshooter
09-28-2014, 10:53 AM
Got a "notice" on one forum.......I wasn't giving enough "Likes".......I guess if you post something you are supposed to kike ALL the answers....even if they say "You are a Dumas".......LIKE.....LOL.

Dirty socks......."Get your dirty socks on Amazon dot com".......

I was informed on one forum that I could not know anything I was talking about, and should be banned from the forum, because I was not giving out enough likes. This apparently made me a bad person, and therefore a stupid person. Supposedly I am communally responsible for social justice on the internet and if I do not make everyone feel affirmed and needed I am not doing my job.

Apparently we live in a world where "popularity" trumps knowledge and "giving back" is more important than accomplishment. Sounds like some kind of government program to me.

I am of the opinion that if a forum has a "Like" button they should also incorporate a "dumbass question/answer" button also.

I also think that many forums should have a feature where any member with a specific number of posts could close a thread after 4 pages of "I love my Mora", "I love my 10/22", or after the third consecutive one word reply of "cool", "great", or "awesome".

Wildthang
09-28-2014, 11:11 AM
I was informed on one forum that I could not know anything I was talking about, and should be banned from the forum, because I was not giving out enough likes. This apparently made me a bad person, and therefore a stupid person. Supposedly I am communally responsible for social justice on the internet and if I do not make everyone feel affirmed and needed I am not doing my job.

Apparently we live in a world where "popularity" trumps knowledge and "giving back" is more important than accomplishment. Sounds like some kind of government program to me.

I am of the opinion that if a forum has a "Like" button they should also incorporate a "dumbass question/answer" button also.

I also think that many forums should have a feature where any member with a specific number of posts could close a thread after 4 pages of "I love my Mora", "I love my 10/22", or after the third consecutive one word reply of "cool", "great", or "awesome".

You need to stay here , not many other forums will ever understand you like we do! Not many people can handle the truth!

hunter63
09-28-2014, 11:13 AM
.....Now where is that there "like button.....can never find one when you really need one.....dannit.......OK yeah well you know what I meant.....

I think it's "Like" a Facebox thing........

Batch
09-28-2014, 09:08 PM
A lot of people think like that. Rep, post count and what not aren't really great indicators of knowledge. Even apparent knowledge isn't that great if you take Nativedude into consideration.

The problem with the internet is everyone is an expert after a google search. But, over time, just like in the people we deal with in real life, you figure out who seems to have real first hand experience and who is just repeating something that sounded cool on a forum or youtube.

We have some good knife makers on here. Some guys that know their guns. Some good cooks and preservers. Some guides and trappers. Guys and gals just getting started and the same with a wealth of knowledge and their bodies just can't do it anymore like they could. (I like to learn from them. Because they have probably figured out the easiest way and I am lazier than all!)

hunter63
09-28-2014, 09:16 PM
.....seems funny to get "rep" for explaining and discussing "Rep".....LOL

Anyway, Thanks boys.......

Tokwan
09-28-2014, 10:01 PM
Batch..comeover to Malaysia and we can learn from each other...