PDA

View Full Version : All the Junk!!!!

kyratshooter
09-22-2014, 01:26 PM
I am in the process of upgrading the daily driver.

This is not my BOV as one would normally view it. This is the subcompact I use to make grocery runs, meet the other old geezers for coffee and bounce around town with the general intent on saving as much fuel as can be expected with gas at $3.50+- per gallon.

I have to clean it out before I can trade it in.

I was amazed at the amount of gear I had in that little machine.

Of course I had the 20 gallon tote filled with a week of food, stove, change of clothes, boots, hatchet, knife and a gallon of water. Then there is the extra parka and the sleeping bag. Jumper cables, flares, tow strap and fire extinguisher. That is the "normal" stuff everyone should have, correct? It was the other stuff that surprised me.

I shop at Harbor Freight a lot, with coupons, and one can not pass up their FREE STUFF, So I had 7 blue polytarps in the back of the car.

I also found the tool box I though had been stolen. Then I found the extra magazine for the PF9 in the console and a full box of 9mm in the glove box, along with more lighters, a fire steel, two folding knives and a multitool. My car features a built in cooler so I had 4 bottles of water in there. I am still trying to figure out why my binoculars were in the cooler.

I also found my extra camera and discovered where my 40x spotting scope went. (It was under the passenger sear)

I also found out where the chipmunk was nesting!

Then the thought occurred to me, I might have figured out why my gas mileage was down.:idea::idea:

hunter63
09-22-2014, 02:17 PM
Yup....That sound about right for a small compact car......Now on the other hand with a truck....add enough gear for a village......

I still chuckle at the chemical hand warmers that are ...ahhhh.... how many years old?.....Will they still work?....or not?......
If they are hard, does that mean they won't work?.....Kinda like old nasty corroded ammo that got left under the seat or rolling around on the floor....Will it go bang?...try it...Bang...yep....but now I don't have it any more....

LowKey
09-22-2014, 06:56 PM
A car with a built in cooler? The binocs being in there is easy, have you never gone in the fridge for a beer at lunch time and found your morning coffee cup in there that you coulda sworn you put in the sink to be washed?

RangerXanatos
09-22-2014, 07:28 PM
A car with a built in cooler? The binocs being in there is easy, have you never gone in the fridge for a beer at lunch time and found your morning coffee cup in there that you coulda sworn you put in the sink to be washed?
I don't know what kind of car kyrat owns but I know the dodge caliber has a cooler for drinks when you run the air conditioner. I believe the "caliber" would be fitting for kyrat.

hunter63
09-22-2014, 07:39 PM
.....well I use to joke about coolers and beer holder in trucks......but was told that it wasn't publically or socially correct....any more.
But....I still say electric windows just means it's easier to shoot oft the passenger side when road hunting.....

natertot
09-23-2014, 12:16 AM
I don't know what kind of car kyrat owns but I know the dodge caliber has a cooler for drinks when you run the air conditioner. I believe the "caliber" would be fitting for kyrat.

Yep, its a caliber. I had one too, up until 6 weeks ago. I traded mine off as well. They are a piece of crap, but the cooler thing was kinda neat.

Like Kyrat, I had to clean mine out as well. Found a handful of tools that I thought I had lost. Found a bunch of the kids' stuff, too. The little tot's know how to utilize small and obscure spaces, not to mention they are good about keeping plenty of food around. I just need to teach them that chips, French fries and fruit snacks that aren't sealed are the best preps! Found an old sippy cup that had remnants of milk in it.... yeah, that went straight to the trash.

Well Kyrat, what did you buy?

crashdive123
09-23-2014, 06:41 AM
Yep, its a caliber. I had one too, up until 6 weeks ago. I traded mine off as well. They are a piece of crap, but the cooler thing was kinda neat.

The horn seems to work well as I recall.:whistling:

natertot
09-23-2014, 06:57 AM
The horn seems to work well as I recall.:whistling:

Kind of...... for some reason the horn had a tendency to be about 10 times louder between 2am and 3am than during the rest of the day! :airhorn:

kyratshooter
09-25-2014, 02:29 AM
Anyone know anything about a Ford Escape?

I do like the name, it makes me feel like I'm getting away with something.

Now I have to put all the crap into this one, mount the holsters, find room for the emergency gear and figure out how to reset the radio buttons!

I am always surprised when I punch the #1 button and find it not set for my favorite talk radio station. I though everyone listened to radical right wing talk radio!

Tokwan
09-25-2014, 02:42 AM
Oldgeezers?.......????? The Ford Escape is a good car but I would love the old Blaizer or the Ranchero....gives you more attitude....hehe

natertot
09-25-2014, 08:01 AM
Anyone know anything about a Ford Escape?

I do like the name, it makes me feel like I'm getting away with something.

Now I have to put all the crap into this one, mount the holsters, find room for the emergency gear and figure out how to reset the radio buttons!

I am always surprised when I punch the #1 button and find it not set for my favorite talk radio station. I though everyone listened to radical right wing talk radio!

Yessir. I worked on them when they first came out at a Ford Dealership in Iowa. My father-in-law has one that a routinely take care of for him and my mother has one too. They are good vehicles, available with a 2.4 I-4 or a 3.0 v6. The v6 is better, in my opinion, but both engines are available with four wheel drive. Newer ones have a turbo I-4 as well.

Setting the presets are easy. Turn the radio to the desired station. Press and hold the preset button desired for that station. The radio will cut out momentarily, but when it comes back on the preset will be set.

Congrats on the purchase!

kyratshooter
09-25-2014, 10:41 PM
I decided to go with a 2wd on this effort. Cheaper to use as a daily driver and less complicated a few years down the road when repair time might come. My camping trips are becoming more civilized as the years go by and I have about decided that if I need 4wd to get there I don't need to be there.

I got the V6 w/automatic, so I basically have a Ford Taurus with a small SUV body. I had the same engine in a Ranger and got 500,000 miles out of the original block with one rebuild. I am hoping it will give me a decade of use like the last few Fords have done. (I drove a 1962 ford PU for 20 years and scraped it in 1997)

It has about everything on it that was available in 2007, including a sunroof, which is new to me. This is one fancy camping rig! Of course the Jeep was a fancy camping rig when I bought it but all those trips and all that mileage means that much of the fancy stuff no longer operates at full motivation.

The Escape is about half way between my old Honda CRV and the Cherokee, so I am having very few adjustment issues on the road.

I still have the Jeep w/4wd for the bad weather and climbing rocks and ditches and doing the heavy hauling. I just had the steering gear rebuilt and it drives like new, even though it is now 18 years and almost 200,000 down the road.

oldsoldier
09-26-2014, 07:21 AM
.....well I use to joke about coolers and beer holder in trucks......but was told that it wasn't publically or socially correct....any more.
But....I still say electric windows just means it's easier to shoot oft the passenger side when road hunting.....

Thanks Hunter you made my morning!

Rick
09-26-2014, 07:37 AM
Ha! I completely missed Hunter's post. When I was in high school we were out drinking. A cop hit the lights behind us and one of the guys in the back seat flung his bottle out of the window to get rid of it. Unfortunately, the window was rolled up at the time. Fortunately, I guess, the bottle broke, the window held but there was beer all over the inside of the car. As it turned out the cop went around us and kept on going which was also fortunate. It would have been hard to deny we were drinking at that point. Another bit of good news for me is it wasn't my car.

hunter63
09-26-2014, 12:18 PM
LOL....Yeah that kinda happened with a sling shot and M80....could really launch it out the opposite side window (when down).....unless you hit the door jam and landed on the front seat of my friends fathers 1958 Olds.....at 30 miles an hour...

Didn't know 5 guys could climb on top of the driver to get away from it that fast.......

I used to check the radio presets every time I had the truck washed.......you can kinda tell who works there.

Maybe one of these days I'll have to buy a car again........haven't had one except beaters since about 1973 and that was a square back VW.....

Kinda like the Cadillac XTS with the big V-8.......in a 4 door....(don't want to look like a show off).....but I do want to suck the door off most any thing on the road.....and try out those 200 mph windshield wipers.
I hear they come from the factory with a Wisconsin State Trooper in the mirror....( a real one)

I want the big V-8, as the exhaust is split and runs out the sides of the rear, not at the center.....so I can put on a trailer hitch....

Rick
09-26-2014, 01:45 PM
You're gonna pull a trailer with a caddy? HA! You'll look just like Jr. Bonner. Buhahahahahahaha!

http://image.toutlecine.com/photos/j/u/n/junior-bonner-1972-08-g.jpg (http://image.toutlecine.com/photos/j/u/n/junior-bonner-1972-08-g.jpg)

hunter63
09-26-2014, 01:59 PM
You're gonna pull a trailer with a caddy? HA! You'll look just like Jr. Bonner. Buhahahahahahaha!

http://image.toutlecine.com/photos/j/u/n/junior-bonner-1972-08-g.jpg (http://image.toutlecine.com/photos/j/u/n/junior-bonner-1972-08-g.jpg)

That's kinda what the salesman said......Caught that huh?....Bhohahahah.
He ask me if I wanted to test drive it.....said No...I would lose my DL in 20 minutes.