PDA

View Full Version : Guiness Ice Cream

Alpine_Sapper
04-16-2008, 07:27 AM
Ok, this recipe was originally given to me by my sister, who got it from somewhere else. One of my homeboys has a different recipe he uses. I'll see if I can get it out of him.

1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
1 cup whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
2/3 cup Guinness stout
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons molasses
4 egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. In a medium saucepan, scrape in the vanilla bean seeds. Add the pod, milk, and cream. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Turn off the heat, cover the pan, and let the flavors infuse for 30 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, whisk together the stout and molasses. Bring to a boil and turn off heat.

3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the yolks, sugar, and vanilla extract. Whisk in a few tablespoons of the hot cream mixture, then slowly whisk in another 1/4 cup of the cream. Add the remaining cream in a steady stream, whisking constantly. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan.

4. Stir the beer mixture into the cream mixture. Cook the custard over medium heat, stirring often with a wooden spoon, for 6 to 8 minutes or until the custard thickens enough to coat the back of the spoon.

5. Strain the mixture into a bowl and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight. Process the custard in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Tahyo
04-16-2008, 07:53 AM
I'd love to try this because Guinness is probably at the top of my list of favorite beers, but it has to be a "nitro pour" on tap.

Rick
04-16-2008, 08:23 AM
In a medium saucepan, scrape in the vanilla bean seeds. Add the pod...

I'm a bit lost on this. What do you mean by scrape in the vanilla seeds? Just scrape them out of the pod?

Alpine_Sapper
04-16-2008, 09:30 AM
I'm a bit lost on this. What do you mean by scrape in the vanilla seeds? Just scrape them out of the pod?

That's it. Just split the pod and scrap the insides of the pod into the mix. Throw the pod in, too. It gives more of a vanilla kick to it if you do that as more of the oils in the pod can be released due to the greater surface contact with the insides of the pod and the seeds. You strain it in the end, so you can get the pod and any large seeds out. Kinda the same as "Vanilla Bean Ice Cream" you can get from Bluebell or Blue Bunny, any of the commercial manufacturers. That's what those little brown bits are.

Alpine_Sapper
04-16-2008, 09:33 AM
Here ya go:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/ck_dm_baking/article/0,1904,FOOD_18996_1737295,00.html

Catfish
04-16-2008, 09:58 AM
I've never had Guinness ice cream (although I plan to very soon) but I have had a Guinness Smoothy.

Simply pour a bottle (the cans don't seem to work as well) into a blender and add a dollop of ice cream. Mmm hmm.

Alpine_Sapper
04-16-2008, 10:02 AM
I've never had Guinness ice cream (although I plan to very soon) but I have had a Guinness Smoothy.

Simply pour a bottle (the cans don't seem to work as well) into a blender and add a dollop of ice cream. Mmm hmm.

Never tried it with guiness. I'm gonna have to try that.
We used to make Jagermeister milk shakes.

Stop at TCBY and grab a shake, drink or pour out enough to add a shot or two of Jager and stir. Adjust the amount of Jager to shake to taste. :)

Catfish
04-16-2008, 10:06 AM
Never tried it with guiness. I'm gonna have to try that.
We used to make Jagermeister milk shakes.

Stop at TCBY and grab a shake, drink or pour out enough to add a shot or two of Jager and stir. Adjust the amount of Jager to shake to taste. :)

Oh Jagermeister...never again...never again. :(

Ridge Wolf
04-16-2008, 07:05 PM
Thank you Alpine.. I'll try it.