PDA

View Full Version : Willow Bark

xjosh40x
09-16-2014, 10:10 PM
Was talking to a man I know. Old country man who grew up in a dirt floor shack and lived off the farm all his life since a child. Great humble man and I wouldn't have guessed he was still practicing the old ways he learned my years ago. Well anyway, he was telling me when he was a boy and they got a cut in the fields or working the pigs they would go to the creek. Scrap off willow bark, clean the cut and bandage the cut with moist willow bark. I went online and found that willow bark had the same ingredient as Asprin. Pretty good info.

Rick
09-17-2014, 07:24 AM
Willow bark contains salicin so it is similar to aspirin. Not sure what putting it on a cut would do since it's typically taken internally by chewing or by steeping a tea. Different species will contain different levels of salicin depending on time of year and age so your mileage may vary. Adverse reactions are the same as with aspirin.

Lamewolf
09-17-2014, 09:12 AM
Was talking to a man I know. Old country man who grew up in a dirt floor shack and lived off the farm all his life since a child. Great humble man and I wouldn't have guessed he was still practicing the old ways he learned my years ago. Well anyway, he was telling me when he was a boy and they got a cut in the fields or working the pigs they would go to the creek. Scrap off willow bark, clean the cut and bandage the cut with moist willow bark. I went online and found that willow bark had the same ingredient as Asprin. Pretty good info.

Yeah, willow bark was used in ancient Egypt as a pain killer !

hunter63
09-17-2014, 12:24 PM
Was stripping a bunch of willows for a willow back.....actually got tingly fingers after a while......yes willow back has medical properties.

You need the inner back layer between the wood and the outer bark...best harvested in spring.

http://joybileefarm.com/willow-bark-for-herbal-remedies/

xjosh40x
09-17-2014, 01:20 PM
I thought this would be a good share for everyone considering willow trees grow everywhere there's water. Good bit of info for some long range hikers and campers. I know I'll be using this on my long kayaking trips

hunter63
09-17-2014, 02:42 PM
It is good to know about things like this....but do your research as them seems to be a lot of verities, methods and uses.
Do this before it's needed..... as you should with any wild, foraged or gathered plant.

Self medicating with an unknown is not good practice.

xjosh40x
09-17-2014, 03:58 PM
Yes I know about making a mistake in the wild all too well. Overseas we were on patrol through the valley and I saw what I swore were blackberries. Stupid me grabbed a half dozen and one at a times ate them. 2 hours later I was running fever and was vomiting. The Doc had some meds to take away the allergic reaction. But later the locals would laugh at hearin this as the call the the SH!T berry.

Batch
09-17-2014, 10:01 PM
We get Coastal Plain Willow (salix caroliniana). I have made whistles out of it. Both hearth and spindle for fire drills. Chewed the cambium. Though I never really needed it for pain. Its also a famine food. And the seed heads when they are ready to take flight make decent tinder. The "green" bark makes decent cordage.