PDA

View Full Version : A great pot for when you are out and about

dilligaf2u2
04-16-2008, 12:13 AM
When I find something that works, I like to let others know.

I am always looking for ways to cook when I am out and about. For years I have looked for a way to steam rice.

http://store.sundogoutfitter.com/Items/ZBRmultipot%20-%20Copy?sck=3174165&caSKU=ZBRmultipot%20-%20Copy&caTitle=Zebra%20Stainless%20Steel%20Multi-Use%20Pot%20Coffee%20Maker%2c%20Steamer%2c%20Cook% 20Pot%2c%20Filter%20Pot

I just got it in and had to try it out. ½ cup of dry rice gave me over 1 cup of cooked rice. It turns out ½ cup of uncooked rice is too much for one person. The flavor was not washed away or boiled out with the steam. Light and fluffy, not the clump I usually ended up with.

I cooked some Basmati Rice about lunchtime and TDW and I had some with butter, salt and pepper. Very filling.

I cooked some hamburger in soy sauce for dinner. ½ cup of uncooked rice, steamed to perfection with a hand full of dehydrated mixed veggies in with the rice as it cooked. Added chopped hamburger when the rice and dehydrated mixed veggies were done. Dinner was superb.

The pot is NOT too big to carry in a pack. I wrapper cord on the handle, this makes it easier to move, when hot. If you like rice and not a clump of white goop, when you are out and about. You have to try this pot.

I can see other uses for this pot. I am planning on making coffee in it, to give that a try. My MSR 2-cup Stowaway pot fits down in the steamer pot, just right for reheating.

I can now steam my rice and dehydrate it for use when camping. I was thinking this could work with my cracked wheat.

I have a small hiking Dutch oven I will not be without. This pot, at this time, seems to be another, never leaves home without, pot. I could not be happier, with a purchase, then I am with this pot.

Don

Alpine_Sapper
04-16-2008, 12:23 AM
Awesome find man. Gotta pick one of those up. Thanks.

Rick
04-16-2008, 06:35 AM
That does look pretty cool. Looks like you could make loose leaf tea just as easy as coffee. Nice post, Don!

crashdive123
04-16-2008, 06:46 AM
Good deal Don. (Ya gotta love it when somebody is passionate about their pot);)

Stony
04-16-2008, 11:20 AM
the plastic handle on the lid makes it useless for camp fire cooking or any
real backcountry use.
just another sales gimmik to suck in fools to spend their money.

make a billy can from a coffee can and baling wire and you got a good backcountry pot.

Alpine_Sapper
04-16-2008, 12:07 PM
the plastic handle on the lid makes it useless for camp fire cooking or any
real backcountry use.
just another sales gimmik to suck in fools to spend their money.

make a billy can from a coffee can and baling wire and you got a good backcountry pot.

Soooooo....you don't consider an alcohol burning stove "real backcountry use"? What about a more traditional backpacking stove....? And it's not the pot that makes it different...You gonna make the steamer out of the bailing wire?

klkak
04-16-2008, 03:49 PM
I like my Jetboil pot and cup. I take the neoprene off when I use them on a camp fire. The cup has a coffee press. I have used them on every thing from a campfire to a coleman gas stove. I used a coffee can when I was a kid. It worked fine, however I like the jetboil pot and cup better.

Rick
04-16-2008, 04:13 PM
What makes you think the knob is plastic? I may have overlooked it but I didn't see a materials listing. And you have to remember, it's my money so if I want to be a fool, I'll be a fool. (besides, I like those hats with the bells and the little pointed shoes).

crashdive123
04-16-2008, 04:21 PM
Along those lines.....Here's a guy whose opinion I value (Don's) that says he has used it and likes it. I put alot more into a post like that rather than one where the poster has not used the item. Granted, there can be alot of useful stuff passed along this way, but when somebody has "field tested" an item it sure helps me alot. Thanks for the info Don.

dilligaf2u2
04-16-2008, 07:50 PM
Thanks Crashdive123. I think loose leaf tea word work well in this pot too, Rick. Stony is just being a grump today! Give him some time to get a nap and he will be just fine.

I will say this about this pot. It does now work well with the alcohol stoves. It took 4oz of meths to get 1/4 cup of rice steamed. I used the swiss army Trangia stove to try mets with this pot.

I have never used a Jet boil stove. From what I have heard they are a good choice for 1 or 2 people when hiking. I have seen, they offer a lot of options.

Don

klkak
04-17-2008, 01:38 AM
Don, I have not used the pot you are talking about but it looks like it'll cook. I've used the Jetboil for the past 5 months trapping here in Alaska. It cooked and made coffee for my trapping partner and I, 2 to 3 days every week. I think it proved its self. It sounds like yours will preform just as well. Dont pay any attition to comments from folks that havent been where youve been or done what youve done. I carry what I carry when I venture out because it works for me, same as you I'm sure. Thanks for the info you have provided.

canid
04-17-2008, 01:45 AM
i don't know for sure, but i doubt the knob would be a problem for campfire cooking if a person where to cook over embers the way i do. i like the better control over the temp that gives me anyway.