PDA

View Full Version : Bug out bag

Tony uk
07-18-2007, 04:58 PM
I was thinking of making a bug out bag to keep under my bed, its something like a survival kit but it doesnt need all of the things in it

So far i have in it:

Water bottle, Knife Spoon & Fork, Lighter, Water carton (X3), Food Bar (X2), Spare set of
clothes, money, phone numbers and paper,pens

Is there anything else you think that i should put in ?

owl_girl
07-18-2007, 05:03 PM
flashlight

Tony uk
07-18-2007, 05:05 PM
flashlight
Never thought of the night, sorta me being a bit stupid, Thanks :D

owl_girl
07-18-2007, 05:06 PM
No problem :D

Sarge47
07-18-2007, 05:31 PM
Never thought of the night, sorta me being a bit stupid, Thanks :D

I'd think a small candle would also do well, along with a "multi-use" bandana.

owl_girl
07-18-2007, 05:35 PM
You know if you live in a location with earthquakes, tornados, or hurricanes it may be a good idea to have one of those flashlights with an alarm on it so you don’t have to use up all your energy yelling for help if your house caves in. And maybe some extra batteries to. When my family and me lived in the earthquake zone I think that’s what we had in the emergency box and my mom has one in her car.

Tony uk
07-18-2007, 05:37 PM
I have a bandana in there as part of the clothes, I'll put in a small ammount of tealight candles, Thanks :)

I have a whisle that i can put in aswell but i dont live in a earthquake, tornado, or hurricane zone so i dont need much in the way of that stuff

Sarge47
07-18-2007, 05:41 PM
I have a bandana in there as part of the clothes, I'll put in a small ammount of tealight candles, Thanks :)

I have a whisle that i can put in aswell but i dont live in a earthquake, tornado, or hurricane zone so i dont need much in the way of that stuff

A whistle is always good to have, they don't take up much space or have any weight to speak of, and, well ya just never know. My philosophy is: "It's better to have it & not need it than to need it & not have it, right?

owl_girl
07-18-2007, 05:54 PM
A whistle is always good to have, they don't take up much space or have any weight to speak of, and, well ya just never know. My philosophy is: "It's better to have it & not need it than to need it & not have it, right?
I think a whistle is a really good idea. And it doesn’t need batteries like an alarm.

Tony uk
07-18-2007, 05:54 PM
Your Dead Right :D

survival scout
07-22-2007, 08:43 AM
just search emergency prepardness kits

donny h
07-22-2007, 05:16 PM
To me, a survival kit focuses on wilderness survival and first aid.

A bug out bag focuses on personal protection, and urban survival. Yes, that's fancy-speak for guns, knives, and pepper spray.

A good bug out bag should have room to fit the survival kit, there's no reason to not have both, in a worst case scenario.

Tony, I see you're in Scotland, so forget about the guns, but don't be fooled into thinking you live someplace free of natural disasters, there is no such place, and as we saw after hurricane Katrina in New Orleans, surviving a disater is one thing, surviving the aftermath is an entirely different thing.

Didn't Europe have a mini ice age about a century ago? You might stuff some warm clothes/emergency blankets into that bug out bag.

FVR
07-22-2007, 07:43 PM
Bug out bag, minivan, wife, kids, two dogs, hamster, and fish. Yup, that's about it.

Oh yeh, 357 and 200 rounds will about do it.

WildGoth
07-22-2007, 08:56 PM
mine is a sword

sticks65
07-23-2007, 08:18 PM
poncho,bivvybag,firesteel,milbanks bag,US2000 water bottle,puritabs,steel cup,mini trangia or hexiburner,knife and a hachet,sharpning stone,firstaid kit,map and compass.I have all this kit in my b.o.b and a lot more.HOPE THIS HELPS.

Fog_Harbor
07-30-2007, 10:24 PM
Tony - just Google "Bug Out Bag" and you'll get tons of ideas. Mine only has clothes and water. My survival gear is always within arms reach (Leatherman Core, Firesteel, vaseline soaked cotton balls, and a whistle)

Tony uk
08-10-2007, 12:58 PM
Thanks For The Help All :D

Tony uk
08-10-2007, 02:29 PM
There arnt really any majour ones but i think that it is a good idea with all the strange weather recently Flooding in England, Snow in Africa and so fourth

wareagle69
08-10-2007, 05:57 PM
i like donny h distinction between a bug out bag and a survival kit

foggy good idea on googling bob

Tony uk
08-11-2007, 06:35 AM
Cool :D

Thats given me some ideas, Thanks :)

Strider
08-12-2007, 04:09 PM
You might want a signaling device, i.e. mirror or whistle or something, and you probably want some rope or cord. (It comes in handy for a lot of things) Oh, and phone numbers are handy, as long as you have a phone. (Unless you meant like for a public phone where you pay a quarter... here you need quarters... ) Lastly, you might want some type of radio so you know what's going on around you... probably a solar powered or hand crank is good... :)

Fog_Harbor
08-12-2007, 07:32 PM
Here is my BOB...mind you we live in LA.

870 Remington
100 rounds
Survival kit
camel back
hat and gloves
flash light
USMC poncho
72 hours of food
Rat-7
monocular
extra pair of socks
bandana
map of city
map of state
first aid kit
Water filter
2 way radio

Here is my wife's.

10/22 scoped -Mark III
500 rounds
Survival kit
camel back
hat and gloves
flash light
USMC poncho
72 hours of food
k-bar
binoculars
extra pair of socks
bandana
map of city
map of state
2 way radio

LAPD must LOVE you guys!

nell67
08-12-2007, 07:38 PM
Hey volwest,

have you done any urban survival planning for any of the emergency personell (police etc.) in your area or do you just do that for companies and individuals?

Strider
08-13-2007, 11:33 AM
strider...most of those things you mention are part of my survival kit.

Sorry, volwest... didn't read your post... I meant to answer to tony uk... :rolleyes:

Tony uk
08-15-2007, 10:58 AM
I never want to know any police from around here, we would be better suited useing the TA as the policeing force since are crime rate is still getting higher :(

Thanks For All The Ideas Guys, Much Love :D :)

trax
08-15-2007, 02:18 PM
Why is the crime rate getting higher ?

Oh and by the way, with a hunting license, if it is the same as in other european countries where you are at, you should be able to buy a shotgun or a hunting rifle yes ?

Here I had to pass a test that allows me to purchase and own firearms, then pass another test that indicates I won't shoot myself accidentally etc, then buy a hunting license. All proceeds to the govt of course.

sticks65
08-28-2007, 04:14 PM
VOLWEST asks what the threat in the UK is well since the 1970s we were bombed by the IRA now we face another kind of radical theat,also severe climate change,civil unrest we could end up with are own Kosavo.

scabbyota
08-28-2007, 05:03 PM
I keep a turkey vest with knife, bic lighter magnesium fire starter, sheet of plastic, compass, sierra cup a two way radio and map of state. I also have a 4WD loaded down with survival gear.

HOP
08-29-2007, 07:37 AM
Tony when preparing for a problem I don't ask myself what is legal but what is important and nessary. I think that a bug out bag is a good idea regardless of the geographic or political area and would always include some thing for personnel protection if only a stout stick(very handy actually)the contents of the bag would depend on my plan of where I am going and what will be there. Some basic survival stuf is always a good start .

sticks65
08-29-2007, 03:58 PM
HOP,Good advise.

chopp29
02-19-2008, 08:27 PM
Very good advice HOP, good example was New Orleans after Katrina when Bush was trying to disarm the general public. In this case the lawful thing to do would have been to answer the door and give up your right to bear arms, but that wouldnt have been to smart now would it. Being the majority of the looters on the street were carrying AK-47s, like the ones the 82nd got into that fire fight with on the bridge......If breaking the law means living to see another day, count me in!

crashdive123
02-19-2008, 10:47 PM
Very good advice HOP, good example was New Orleans after Katrina when Bush was trying to disarm the general public.

That would have been Mayor Ray Nagin using the local police force, not the feds.

dilligaf2u2
02-20-2008, 12:53 AM
Surviving a natural disaster can only be blamed on chance or luck. Surviving the aftermath of a disaster will take planing. I believe a BOB is for the aftermath times.

TDW's, TGF's and my BOB's all have. A water filter straw; Several ways to start a fire; A pot to boil water; Several canteens; Rain poncho; Wool blanket; At least 2 knives; Survival saw; Military issue CS-CN spray can; Several large plastic bags; 100 ft of 550 cord; Duct tape; Supper glue; Pf 30 sun screen; insect repellent; A bar of soap; AA LED Flash lights(2ea); AA Solar batter charger and spare batteries; AA radio;

My BOB has a meth stove and a 32 Oz fuel bottle. I also carry a cold steel shovel.

We have Military LBE's with but packs. We all use army canteens with the case, cup and heaters. 10 of the trox fire bars for the outfit are in the BOB's along with water purification pills.

We each have meds to take daily. There is a 4 week supply of these meds in the BOB's and our usual first aid kit. I have added 2 military triangle bandages to use instead of handkerchiefs. These are bigger and IMO better suited for multi use survival snot rags.

Don

I will add here: We each have fire arms in 12 gage and 22 mag.

Rick
02-20-2008, 08:07 AM
Don - I agree with what you've stated. I would only add that there are many calamities that a BOB would be used for prior to or during an event.

Meth lab evacuation
Chemical spill evacuation
Fires (forest or wild lands)
Hurricane (you know about those, right?)
Dam compromise or imminent flood warning

Just to name a few. Grab the BOB and scoot thus avoiding the problem all together.

crashdive123
02-20-2008, 09:41 AM
It's been said many times on the forum and elsewhere that often, survival is a matter of luck.

I have always found that the more I prepare and the harder I work, the luckier I get.

marberry
02-24-2008, 01:28 AM
urban survival = 'guns, lots of guns' i dont like urban survival , its too violent.

Sam
02-24-2008, 01:51 AM
urban survival = 'guns, lots of guns' i dont like urban survival , its too violent.

If you are hard to find the violence is reduced. Ragnar Benson has a good book for urban survival. Covers all kinds of topics.

Rick
02-24-2008, 08:48 AM
No harder than mother nature. Freezing to death or being eaten is pretty harsh in my book. It's just a different kind of violence.

marberry
02-24-2008, 09:49 AM
well a cougar wont shoot you from cover 100 yards away cause its scared. a human will. ill stick with the bush where i can see death coming thank ya very much

Rick
02-24-2008, 10:00 AM
And a person won't wrap there teeth around your neck and choke you to death. A cougar will.:rolleyes:

I'm not saying one is better than the other. Just that there are dangers inherent in each.

crashdive123
02-24-2008, 10:06 AM
Marcraft: If you are prepared for the situation that you are in or will be placing yourself in, then you will probably stand a pretty good chance of surviving. If for instance you are in an area where wildlife is the biggest obstacle to your survival, but know nothing about how to deal with it...SOL. Same goes in an urban environment and interacting with human animals, or in an area where weather concerns are paramount (i.e. hurricanes, tornado, cold, heat....)

mbarnatl
02-24-2008, 01:05 PM
A Bug-Out Bag is a portable kit containing all of the items one would require to survive for seventy two hours after evacuating from a disaster. It is also known as a 72hr kit, emergency kit and disaster supplies kit. The focus on evacuation, rather than survival, distinguishes the bug-out bag from a survival kit.

My survival kit attaches to my Bug-Out Bag so it extends the capabilities of my Bug-Out Bag. Add those with my vehicle kit, I have extended the 72hr kit to 9 days. If you haven't been in a aftermath of a disaster... don't always count on help in the first 72 hrs... more like 7 to 10 days depending on: location, amount of relief supplies, damage to area, damage to surrounding areas and how well your local /state emergency management reacts to the disaster. Even in shelters things are messed up, do not use your Bug-Out Bag unless you have to. Shelters only have so much supplies til they get resupplied.