PDA

View Full Version : Wild turkeys!

Walter2
09-12-2014, 08:24 AM
Wild turkeys in my yard!

xjosh40x
09-12-2014, 10:03 AM
Awesome. Watching wildlife is a great and peaceful experience to me. I wouldn't kill one though. In my state it's a 3,000 dollar fine for killing turkey out of season. If I'm correct it's a federally protected bird much like waterfowl.

kyratshooter
09-12-2014, 12:00 PM
Wild turkey act like domestic stock, coming in for food, playing in the yard and even getting underfoot, right up until the day before hunting season opens.

Then they disappear, not to be seen again until two weeks after the season closes.

I think the WMA sends them e-mails warning that the season is near.

2crows
09-12-2014, 12:07 PM
Wild turkeys in my yard!

I love to watch them too. A couple of days ago 14 hens strolled across my yard, munching on the tall grass (gone to seed). But as KYRAT says... they seem to know when to get scarce.

hunter63
09-12-2014, 12:25 PM
Smartest bird in the world......15 minutes at a time.
Superior eye sight, super hearing, if they could smell, you wouldn't get close.

Very spooky, mostly, ......but dumb as a stump....sometimes.....you just have to figure out what it is today.

Love turkey hunting...........

2crows
09-12-2014, 12:37 PM
I sat in a deer blind last season and counted 28 turkeys come out of the woods. Wrong season. Kyrat is SO right...g

kyratshooter
09-12-2014, 01:59 PM
I must say that when I was a young boy wild turkeys were a myth of history, much like the woodland buffalo, eastern elk, and white tailed deer.

We knew they had once existed but never expected to see them outside a zoo, and the woodland buffalo and eastern elk were extinct.

Now both deer and Turkey are at "traffic hazard" status and my state has an elk heard over 5,000 strong with lottery hunts for the past several years.

I doubt they will ever turn bison loose again, but we have several captive herds locally and the state park service runs a couple of resorts that feature buffalo prepared by gourmet chiefs with the animals raised on state park land.

Never thought I'd see the day!

And it was all done with MY hunting license fees and taxes I paid on guns and ammo. Nothing from the general funds. (suck on that tree hugging vegans!!!)

If you want to save a species join a yuppie conservation movement, If you want to see a species thrive to abundance,,,,,,buy a hunting license.

Rick
09-12-2014, 03:23 PM
My wife and I stayed at the General Butler lodge in Carrollton a few years back. They had a pretty large bison herd there. Lot's of calves, which was nice to see.

Power Giant
09-12-2014, 03:35 PM
Lots of Turkeys here. They are somewhat tamable when fed. But, then they stick around and crap all over everything. Good emergency food source?

kyratshooter
09-12-2014, 04:23 PM
My wife and I stayed at the General Butler lodge in Carrollton a few years back. They had a pretty large bison herd there. Lot's of calves, which was nice to see.

From what I can gather the eastern park systems have learned that they can have a very good herd in sizable numbers as long as they do not try to keep bulls on site. Bulls with walk through a fence like it was not there and require massive posts and beams for their enclosures. Most of our caged park herds are all cows, bred through artificial insemination from bulls out west.

hunter63
09-12-2014, 05:45 PM
Lots of Turkeys here. They are somewhat tamable when fed. But, then they stick around and crap all over everything. Good emergency food source?

(psssst, they are democratic turkeys........)

Walter2
09-16-2014, 08:24 AM
Ha! All the turkeys are the same after they have been processed stuffed and put in the oven!

kyratshooter
09-16-2014, 09:49 AM
Ha! All the turkeys are the same after they have been processed stuffed and put in the oven!

Is that a political comment in reply to Hunter or food prep advice?

hunter63
09-16-2014, 10:18 AM
Yes..............

Walter2
09-16-2014, 09:08 PM
Both.......

Walter2
09-16-2014, 09:11 PM
I do actually prefer a stuffed bird,adds lots of flavor.
Thanksgiving turkey is cooked by me in a 1926 home comfort wood cooking range.

Traditionalist
09-17-2014, 07:04 AM
They always come when there not in season. When they are they aren't to be seen. Bow hunting last spring I didn't get 1 turkey, and I usually get one. I found one, but got spooked when I stepped on a branch and the branch snapped

Sent from up in an oak tree