PDA

View Full Version : Good Remote Camping Spots in South East MN?

ideath2011
09-05-2014, 02:25 AM
I was wondering of any good camping spots in southeastern mn? Somewhere where you could stay for 3 days and not see any people? I was thinking along the Root River, Whitewater State Park, Zumbro River bottoms or even somewhere in Western Wisconsin.

Rick
09-05-2014, 06:46 AM
I doubt you are going to find any place like that on public lands. All of the national wilderness areas are north of you. Wisconsin is the same way. The wilderness areas in that state are up toward Lake Superior. Even then, 3 days away from people isn't necessarily going to happen. Perhaps someone on here knows of a state forest area that might work.

Here's a good resource for wilderness areas.

http://www.wilderness.net/NWPS/AtoZ?letter=A

finallyME
09-05-2014, 09:04 AM
I don't know that area very well. But, there is a general rule that the farther you have to walk, the less people you will find. Out here in the west, I know a lot of places where you could go and not see anyone for days.

Oddmott
09-05-2014, 10:28 AM
C'mon up to Canada. Once school is back in all the yuppie parents are more than happy to stop pretending they like the outdoors and even our most popular parks and campgrounds become nearly ghost towns. lol

We've got a campsite booked for this weekend and looking at the park's website, we're one of only 7 groups of campers on a 4000 acre camping park.

kyratshooter
09-05-2014, 01:56 PM
Life is rough when you are a 12 year old woodsman, no money, no transportation, no muscle and smack in the middle of suburbia.

Back in the day I was in the same place and remember that I did a lot of backyard camping and skills building.

I set the trend and our family had a permanent campsite in the back yard with tent and fire pit. That remained in use until my little sister started high school 15 year latter. Every spring the tent went up and did not come down until snow threatened.

I built my first bows and arrows from scratch right there in the back yard, and they worked. I learned my basic knife skills and knife sharpening skills while doing wood craft in the back yard. Since my parents would not let me have a "big honking survival knife" (known as a hunting knife back then) I learned that you can do just about anything that needs to be done with a 4 blade Boy Scout knife.

I built my first friction fire at the picnic table by the big stone BBQ we had in the back yard. Spent my first night alone in a tent down by the back fence and learned what sleeping gear did and did not work without ever leaving the yard.

If you want piece and quiet with no one bothering you simply turn off the TV, turn off the computer, turn off the video game, and go outside. Since no one ever goes outside any more you will be in a remote location and no one will even look for you there!

hunter63
09-05-2014, 02:14 PM
I have to agree.......small steps lead to bigger steps.
Have you spent a night outside, alone, yet?

kyratshooter
09-05-2014, 06:27 PM
Those were some good memories too!

I remember one Saturday morning when I was about 10 or 11 years old, I had spent the night in the tent with my little brothers and one of the neighbor kids. We woke up hungry at about 6am and I slipped back into the house and "foraged" some bacon, eggs and bread, which I proceeded to cook over the campfire.

About that time other neighbor kids began showing up with eggs, bacon, sausage and someone came up with a gallon of milk. We had 6 or 8 kids sitting around having a fine old time and my mom popped out of the back door to see what was up.

I wound up cooking her breakfast too!

Thing was that all those nights spent in the back yard in all sorts of weather and Mom seeing us cook over the campfire and deal with all the gear we made and accumulated had an advantage. By the time I was 16, and had a car, I could go camping/backpacking about any time I wanted. All Mom wanted to know was where I was going and when to expect me back.

hunter63
09-05-2014, 07:54 PM
So, ideath....what have you been up to since last December?
Ever make that trip to MT?.....Been camping in your yard....Pic's, details?

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?24224-Living-in-the-woods-in-northern-MN/page2

ideath2011
09-05-2014, 11:01 PM
Yes me and my dad went along the North Fork of the Sun River.It is really pretty up there. Most of the time in in Shelby, MT in the summer. I go into the woods almost everyday now because i moved and there is lots of public land. Went on a camping trip alone in the woods just a week ago before school started. What annoyed me is the fact i heard four wheelers everywhere. I also want to try gold panning. The Zumbro river has gold in it so i think the north fork of the zumbro river might also have gold in it. Went on a 4-day canoe trip on the lower Marias River ,also in Montana. Almost stepped on a rattler. Im going to try winter camping IF MY MOM WILL LET ME. which probaly wont happpen. So thats what ive been up to. I dont have any pictures though.

ideath2011
09-05-2014, 11:06 PM
2 years ago my mom wouldnt let me touch anything she considered dangerous. Knifes, lighters, saws, axes matches,. and now I have all of those things. so i guess I made some progress with my mom.

hunter63
09-05-2014, 11:55 PM
That's outstanding....glad you are still at it.
Seems like both your mom and dad are allowing you a little more freedom for gear and activities.

Maybe you can fill us in on more of your trips?

crashdive123
09-06-2014, 05:01 AM
Great to hear ID. Nice to see that you are able to get outdoors often.

Rick
09-06-2014, 06:53 AM
Good for you!! I'm glad you are able to fulfill some of your dreams. Camping, even winter camping, doesn't have to be done in the midst of wilderness. If you haven't done winter camping, it can be a challenge on many different levels. Camping closer to home might be an option that your mom would agree to. Even if it's in your own backyard you can still practice your skills and you'll be close enough your mom won't be so worried about you. And if it gets too cold you won't have far to walk.

1stimestar
09-06-2014, 03:06 PM
Those were some good memories too!

I remember one Saturday morning when I was about 10 or 11 years old, I had spent the night in the tent with my little brothers and one of the neighbor kids. We woke up hungry at about 6am and I slipped back into the house and "foraged" some bacon, eggs and bread, which I proceeded to cook over the campfire.

About that time other neighbor kids began showing up with eggs, bacon, sausage and someone came up with a gallon of milk. We had 6 or 8 kids sitting around having a fine old time and my mom popped out of the back door to see what was up.

I wound up cooking her breakfast too!

Thing was that all those nights spent in the back yard in all sorts of weather and Mom seeing us cook over the campfire and deal with all the gear we made and accumulated had an advantage. By the time I was 16, and had a car, I could go camping/backpacking about any time I wanted. All Mom wanted to know was where I was going and when to expect me back.

That's a childhood of awesomeness right there.