PDA

View Full Version : Glow in the dark stuff

bulrush
04-15-2008, 02:59 PM
Lately I have been experimenting with Glow in the Dark (GID) powder so I thought I would share my comments.

The old GID stuff is zinc sulfide. It has a short glow time, about 10 minutes or so.

The new stuff, I call "Generation 2", made from Strontium Aluminate, is a lot brighter at first, about 3 minutes, then the glow fades to very minimal. Sellers claim this stuff glows for 8-12 hours. Yes, it glows with a barely perceptible glow, for 8 hrs. I can see it in complete darkness if it is within 12 inches from my eyes. But it does not glow brightly for 8 hrs.

Sunlight, or full-spectrum light, or UV light, charges the new GID powder best. But it only glows brightly for 3 minutes.

I bought my powder from Ebay. I applied a ring to the outside edge of my flashlight lens so it would be charged whenever I used my flashlight (a 7-LED flashlight). It glowed brightly for a few minutes, then the glow was reduced to "very dim" after that. The very dim glow last another 8 hrs.

My point: don't be fooled by sales pitches. This stuff does now glow brightly for the advertised 8 hours or more.

Alternatives

- Radium is radioactive, but I'm not sure how harmful it is. Old dials and watches from WW2 used radium. And it can be hard to find. Watches on Ebay might claim to have radium, but may instead be zinc sulfide.

- Tritium is a liquid form of water that glows for 10 years straight. But a 1/2 inch ball of this stuff can cost $70us or more. Expensive, but it's there if you want it. Some rifle scopes use tritium tubes for the sights.

canid
04-17-2008, 01:40 AM
tritium is a hydrogen isotope, not an H/O compound. it's still used in watches and the like, so it's probably [or believed to be] pretty safe.

radium is dangerous, period. it bio-accumulates in the bone, as it is mistaken for calcium by the body. it used to cause a lot of disease in women who worked on clock manufacturing lines.

crashdive123
04-17-2008, 07:34 AM
it used to cause a lot of disease in women who worked on clock manufacturing lines.

Lot's of tounge cancer. They used to wet the brushes with their tounges to get a good point.

Buddha443556
04-17-2008, 08:20 AM
I'm been waiting for these guys to get their stuff to market.

Litroenergy is a patent pending designed light source material that emits light for 12 plus years- without electricity or sun exposure!

http://www.glopaint.com/