PDA

View Full Version : Can scoop

bulrush
04-15-2008, 02:35 PM
The thread in this forum about "Small farms - 1909" has a link that mentions making a tin can scoop. I'm doing the same, but to catch water critters for studying. I cut off the top and bottom of a tin can, then glued screen door mesh to the bottom with epoxy. First cut a square of screen door mesh, glue to can, when the glue/epoxy is dry, trim mesh with a sharp knife.

Now I can sift the bottom for critters, like aquatic insects or larva. Can also be used as a sifter for beach sand when metal detecting.

100% silicone can also be used to glue the mesh to the can, but avoid any other type of caulk, they simply do not have the strength of silicone.

Ole WV Coot
04-15-2008, 07:37 PM
Bulrush that's a lot of trouble. just take screen wire (stiff kind), make a round cylinder pinch one end closed, take the wire and make a cone with a hole in the bottom and put it in the other end. A little bread and you will have minnows, crawfish and all sorts of critters. When you're done with that you got a fine screen to sift whatever. We always used them for minnows for bait, and if on a lake where live bait is illegal you just tie the trap to the boat while you fish and cut it loose if the DNR comes by cause live bait works better.

bulrush
04-16-2008, 03:38 PM
Coot, I cannot seem to find metallic screen that small around here. The smallest they have is 1/4 inch, too large for minnows or invertebrates.

crashdive123
04-16-2008, 03:53 PM
In lieu of buying the material at a hardware store, keep an eye out for what people are throwing out. Seems like you can always find an old screen window or door when somebody is doing any kind of remodeling.

Rick
04-16-2008, 04:07 PM
Bulrush - You might look at classifying sieves. You can get them in just about any mesh size you want:

http://www.goldfeverprospecting.com/clsc.html

crashdive123
04-16-2008, 09:23 PM
The thread in this forum about "Small farms - 1909" has a link that mentions making a tin can scoop. I'm doing the same, but to catch water critters for studying. I cut off the top and bottom of a tin can, then glued screen door mesh to the bottom with epoxy. First cut a square of screen door mesh, glue to can, when the glue/epoxy is dry, trim mesh with a sharp knife.

Now I can sift the bottom for critters, like aquatic insects or larva. Can also be used as a sifter for beach sand when metal detecting.

100% silicone can also be used to glue the mesh to the can, but avoid any other type of caulk, they simply do not have the strength of silicone.

For the aquatic insects or larva you can use (I know I'm gonna get in trouble for this) panty hose. For collecting something as small as this works pretty good.

Aurelius95
04-17-2008, 08:34 AM
For the aquatic insects or larva you can use (I know I'm gonna get in trouble for this) panty hose. For collecting something as small as this works pretty good.

"And that, your Honor, is why I have ripped panty hose in my backpack."

:D