PDA

View Full Version : Emergency shelter in the Equatorial Rain Forest - things to look out for:-

Tokwan
08-14-2014, 10:55 PM
I think I really need to share this with you if you are making shelters in a rain forest.

This is from my personal experience and it is my personal opinion...so shoot me if you think I am overboard or wrong.

When I venture into a Rain Forest, I always make sure in my survival kit, I have one or two of those disposable rain pochos (Sorry if I couldn't express myself well here as English is my second language).

Why?

I hate to think in an emergency situation, I have to:-
1. Spend many hours to gather large leaves to make the roof of my shelter.
2. I dread to think that a tree or a pit viper would be nestling in my roof as the shelter roof is not very far from your head.
3. Thinking that a snake might be somewhere in my roof, would make me sleepless and if there is a viper in my roof, I will be dead.
4. It spoils a lot trees.

I would feel safer, more peaceful and able to sleep better if I have a piece of plastic over my head, and I am able to see what is on it.

No doubt, I still practice to build shelter roofs from leaves...but I always have those poncho in my kit.

You will be surprise how big and tough these ponchos are..as long as you don't pull them apart..making a roof with one is quite easy and it works...especially if you have smooth sticks to support them. I have on many occasions use them them as shelter roofs without any stick or timber support.

The other thing is, if you are making a raise bed in between two trees....please please make sure there is at least 2 feet of distance from your head an feet to the trees. This is to minimize the possibility of snakes coming down from the trees to slither on to your head and feet.

When you are going through under growths...place a towel between your head and hat or cap...ensuring there is a distance of about 3 cm at least...in case a tree viper strikes your head...it will puncture your hat..and bite the towel..instead of your head...

Again,.this is my opinion..and I do practice this...feel free to shoot me down.

See this link...this is what i am talking about..the coconut tree is about 30 feet high...so imagine the size of the King Cobra...and this is not even in the jungle..

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=759408167456808&set=a.732376060160019.1073741827.100001628948626&type=1

Tokwan
08-14-2014, 11:38 PM
See the link I added, and you will know why.

MrFixIt
08-15-2014, 07:51 AM
Good points Tokwan.
Survival means (IMO) getting out alive.
Building a nice shelter doesn't do you any good if you get bit/stung by venomous creatures!

Sarge47
08-15-2014, 09:20 AM
(Sorry if I couldn't express myself well here as English is my second language)

That's okay dude, English is MY 2nd language as well...I normally speak "American;" and yes, there is a big difference!....:cowboy:

hunter63
08-15-2014, 09:35 AM
As I haven't had to deal with jungle or rain forest....your recommendations are welcome.

The ponchos you are talking about....can you maybe elaborate a bit....brand, size etc.?

Mason
08-15-2014, 03:32 PM
I love the idea of the poncho. I never though about that!

Tokwan
08-16-2014, 01:11 PM
I had to postpone my trip to next week as a major storm just hit my area....
Hunter, its just a piece of disposable poncho, no particular brand, maybe cost about a buck or 50 cents in the US. Those disponsable rain ponchos that one uses or is given free when you go to a concert.
I will take a photo and post soon.

Size? Its big enough to cover me from head to almost my feet...so I figured its about 5' by 9'.

hunter63
08-16-2014, 01:29 PM
I gotcha......Thanks

Tokwan
08-16-2014, 01:38 PM
And it weighs next to nuthin' ( my version of nothing)...and the size of a palm.

hunter63
08-16-2014, 01:53 PM
I know of what you speak......carry them my self....and is part on my "flea market and Rummage-o-Rama"....Bag.

Made for a long day of shopping, possible showers....has poncho's or rain suits, fire stuff, flashlight, folding knife, water, snacks, and deployable bags for found goodies.

Tokwan
08-16-2014, 01:56 PM
U need to survive a flea market?

hunter63
08-16-2014, 02:17 PM
I talking BIG Flea markets.....LOL.....been caught in the rain a few times......

http://www.discoveramerica.com/usa/experiences/a/alabama/the-highway-127-corridor-sale.aspx

Tokwan
08-16-2014, 07:43 PM
Nice..I love these kind...lots of cheap and good stuff if one knows what to look for.

hunter63
08-16-2014, 08:09 PM
It is a disease..........

DTRobers
07-25-2015, 08:48 AM
Geez, tree vipers? And I usually worry about ticks and mosquitos. Guess I'll stay out of the rainforest!

WalkingTree
05-06-2016, 09:45 AM
Oh...my...god. I laughed for 10 minutes over this. This is old stuff, I was just searching around for things. But I saw this, and had to say something. I'm still laughing. U need to survive a flea market. Oh man.

Faiaoga
05-08-2016, 01:57 PM
Thank you for your useful advice. I have also lived and worked in the equatorial rain forest, though I rarely had to make an improvised camp, and I never had to contend with poisonous snakes. You might mention that one good reason for having a plastic or rubber sheet is that when it rains in the tropics it RAINS - the equivalent of pouring down buckets of water. Even in the tropics, it is quite possible to suffer hypothermia if clothing and bedding is wet, and the wet material is very difficult to dry - a good reason to keep things dry in the first place.

You mentioned poisonous snakes. These were never a problem in Samoa, but we had large centipedes (6 to 8 inches long) that would give a very nasty bite. Do you have any tips to avoid centipedes, scorpions, spiders, land crabs, leeches or other such creatures? :smartass:

Faiaoga
05-08-2016, 02:04 PM

If you are in a flea market with housewives and preppers, then survival may be an issue. Be prepared!!:whistling:

hunter63
05-08-2016, 09:30 PM
Well, At a Big Flea Market...... there is the Funnel cake, Bloomin' Onion, Buffalo burger, VFW Hot Digs, American Legion Chicken, fried everything on a stick and all the other food stands.....
Yeah surviving a BIG flea market is a all day affair.