PDA

View Full Version : The Best Tinder

Mason
08-13-2014, 01:17 PM
It can take some time making tinder for a fire. My brother found an easy solution to that. All you need is toilet paper. I recommend the cheapest out there. No, I am not going to tell you to burn toilet paper because that will last as long as your match does. By leaving toilet paper outside allowing it to get rained on and dried, somehow it makes the toilet paper burn forever! Leave it out there for just 2-5 days. When me and my brother do it, about 3-5 sheets last us for about 10-20 minutes.

MrFixIt
08-13-2014, 02:29 PM
What happens when it gets wet?

hunter63
08-13-2014, 03:03 PM
It can take some time making tinder for a fire. My brother found an easy solution to that. All you need is toilet paper. I recommend the cheapest out there. No, I am not going to tell you to burn toilet paper because that will last as long as your match does. By leaving toilet paper outside allowing it to get rained on and dried, somehow it makes the toilet paper burn forever! Leave it out there for just 2-5 days. When me and my brother do it, about 3-5 sheets last us for about 30-60 minutes.

The word "best" is vastly overused.
In this case it may have been the "best" at the time.

I have used TP shredded up with Carmex lip balm rubbed on it to catch a spark and get a pile if tinder going....much like a cotton ball w/PJ......

It's good to know as many different things that can be used for tinder as possible....and any one may be the "Best" at the time and place.

Nowe if all you have is TP and you need to take a dump....or start a fire......What's it gonna be?

Lot of kinds of TP also kinda melts when it get wet......and goes back into a kind of pulp....which may be why it lasted longer for you.

Graf
08-13-2014, 03:54 PM
Dryer sheets work well also and take up very little room, multipurpose wear on your hat or around your neck and helps reduce/eliminate mosquitos.

hunter63
08-13-2014, 04:54 PM
Dryer sheets work well also and take up very little room, multipurpose wear on your hat or around your neck and helps reduce/eliminate mosquitos.

That does actually work pretty well........dryer sheets are how your wife marks her territory.....You know that right?

crashdive123
08-13-2014, 06:09 PM
There are a lot of things that work for tinder. I would not and do not consider toilet paper to be one of them. It has a much more important function.

Graf
08-13-2014, 06:53 PM
That does actually work pretty well........dryer sheets are how your wife marks her territory.....You know that right?

No wife to mark her territory.

Canoetripper
08-13-2014, 07:10 PM
maybe used tp would work even better

Mason
08-13-2014, 07:18 PM
I use banana leaves for buttwipe

Mason
08-13-2014, 07:21 PM
Its tinder. Used to start a fire, not keep a fire going. As long as it is in a safe location, it shouldn't get wet. You only need the tinder to burn for about 30-120 seconds. This burns much longer. I really love it.

hunter63
08-13-2014, 07:37 PM
No banana leaves in Wisconsin......just a smooth stone.

Logarius
08-13-2014, 08:32 PM
Steel wool. Lights from batteries, matches, flint and steel, and fire rods. I have made fire starters with dried mulch and paraffin in a snuff can with a pad of steel wool and sealed with tape. Perfect inert starters that will last longer than me.

ElevenBravo
08-13-2014, 08:35 PM
3 sheets of TP burning for 30 min, Id honestly like to see that on youtube... Unedited.

Ill stick to cotton balls, char cloth and fatwood (and for real emergency must have fire, road flare) for my fire starting until something else proves better.

EB

Tokwan
08-13-2014, 09:00 PM
Cotton balls soaked (don't know the right word) in petroluem jelly...starts even if its wet..

Lamewolf
08-14-2014, 07:14 AM
No banana leaves in Wisconsin......just a smooth stone.

Mullein leaves makem gud TP !

DomC
08-14-2014, 09:55 AM
I see the OP is from Florida. There are many good TINDERS found naturally out in the scrub here. Saw Palmetto grows abundantly and the brown fibrous material found at the base of the fronds is a very good TINDER. Some people call it monkey fur/hair. Fatwood can found just about everywhere here and it is an excellent accelerant. Why would you use toilet paper as a "go to TINDER" and refer to it as the "best". It's an alternative TINDER but to say it's the best is being subjective. Subjectivity is relating to the way a person experiences things in his or her own mind and based on feelings or opinions rather than facts.
30-60 minute burn time with 3 sheets of tp is ridiculousness...

DomC

Wildthang
08-14-2014, 10:05 AM
The best tinder I have found isn't tinder. I carry a bag of arounf 8 tea candles in my backpack for those rainy wet times. A tea candle will burn for a solid hour if you can keep the wind off of it, and will actually dry out leaves and foraged tinder where it will start burning.
During dry times nature always supplys lots of natural tinder almost anywhere you go if you know where to look!

hunter63
08-14-2014, 10:23 AM

I actually have used these....but found that if dried....as in "save some for later"...the get kinda crumbly......if you know what I mean.

Have a lot growing in the driveway and around the shed at the place.

Mason
08-14-2014, 10:51 AM
I would say 5 sheets lasts you 10 minutes. @domc @elevenbravo

Mason
08-14-2014, 10:53 AM
I see the OP is from Florida. There are many good TINDERS found naturally out in the scrub here. Saw Palmetto grows abundantly and the brown fibrous material found at the base of the fronds is a very good TINDER. Some people call it monkey fur/hair. Fatwood can found just about everywhere here and it is an excellent accelerant. Why would you use toilet paper as a "go to TINDER" and refer to it as the "best". It's an alternative TINDER but to say it's the best is being subjective. Subjectivity is relating to the way a person experiences things in his or her own mind and based on feelings or opinions rather than facts.
30-60 minute burn time with 3 sheets of tp is ridiculousness...

DomC

3 sheets of TP burning for 30 min, Id honestly like to see that on youtube... Unedited.

Ill stick to cotton balls, char cloth and fatwood (and for real emergency must have fire, road flare) for my fire starting until something else proves better.

EB

5 sheets is about 10 minutes burn time.

hunter63
08-14-2014, 11:41 AM
So now that we have gona from "10 to 20 min" to "30 to 120 seconds" to "5 sheets for 10 min."

Have you actually tried this?........

Been trying to give you the benefit of the doubt....But getting harder....

Why don't you just say, "TP can be used as tinder......" and let it go at that.

Mason
08-14-2014, 11:52 AM
Tried it. The original was 3 sheets 30 minutes. That was a brain fart. I meant 3 sheets 10 minutes.

Mason
08-14-2014, 11:53 AM
Also, TP can't be used as tinder. It lasts for about 10 seconds. Wet then dried TP can, and lasts for about 10 minutes every few sheets.

kyratshooter
08-14-2014, 12:04 PM
So Hunter is calling BS on the TP!

I have to agree. 5 sheets will not burn for 10 minutes. I just walked out the back door and timed it. They flashed and flamed away in less than 10 seconds.

Besides, the OP seems to not realize just how precious TP is in a survival situation. I can remember a time when we coveted TP. We lined our helmets with it. We carefully stored it in the foil bags from our C-rat meals (that was before the day of the zip-lock). We used it to pad our magazine pouches to guard against rattling sounds. We traded cigarettes for the little folded rolls and guarded against running out as a fate worse then death. As officers we stressed the need for TP like Lt. Dan preached dry socks to Forest Gump. The man that ran out of TP was a man that was about to get sick and incapacitated. Running out of TP was nearly a court martial offense.

So you sure didn't burn what you had!

crashdive123
08-14-2014, 12:22 PM
5 sheets is about 10 minutes burn time.

Sorry my young man. I know you're only 13 but I gotta throw the official..... http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii67/crashdive123/Forum%20Fun/bsflag.jpg (http://s261.photobucket.com/user/crashdive123/media/Forum%20Fun/bsflag.jpg.html)

Shoot an unedited video of it and prove me wrong and I'll throw the official I apologize flag.

MrFixIt
08-14-2014, 02:18 PM
So Hunter is calling BS on the TP!

I have to agree. 5 sheets will not burn for 10 minutes. I just walked out the back door and timed it. They flashed and flamed away in less than 10 seconds.

Besides, the OP seems to not realize just how precious TP is in a survival situation. I can remember a time when we coveted TP. We lined our helmets with it. We carefully stored it in the foil bags from our C-rat meals (that was before the day of the zip-lock). We used it to pad our magazine pouches to guard against rattling sounds. We traded cigarettes for the little folded rolls and guarded against running out as a fate worse then death. As officers we stressed the need for TP like Lt. Dan preached dry socks to Forest Gump. The man that ran out of TP was a man that was about to get sick and incapacitated. Running out of TP was nearly a court martial offense.

So you sure didn't burn what you had!

Indeed. I had a cake frosting container that I painted green with a roll that fit into it.
And you NEVER asked another man for his supply of TP!

As far as tinder goes, I use shaved fat wood. I clamp a large piece in the vise and go to it with a good draw knife. Packaged up in a zip-loc bag along with some pencil sized sticks of it.
It burns when wet as well.

Graf
08-14-2014, 05:36 PM

You bet, natures Charmin, see we have the same avatar,to funny first time i've seen anyone else with it.

Mason
08-14-2014, 06:35 PM
I like banana leaves too!

kyratshooter
08-14-2014, 06:53 PM
Thats what I f*cking said! I was talking about wet then natural dried dumb f*ck

that german f*ck

Do you e-mail your Mom using that keyboard?

After that you need to wipe it down with bleach and spray it with Febreze!

hunter63
08-14-2014, 06:55 PM
Ya know, Mason, up to now most everyone has treated you as an adult and tried to help you along in a logical way.

I'm gonna guess that if your profanity continues....You will be history...till you grow up.

Thirteen year olds shouldn't be playing with fire anyway.......

Mason
08-14-2014, 07:27 PM
Only a few tried to help me in a logical way. Sure the average 13 year old shouldn't play with fire, but im not the average 13 year old. I know my fire safety just as good as any other adult. I'm not the dumb*ss type either. Currently, im stacking my knowledge at young age, that way when I grow up I will be able to run away from society. I done so much research on survival kits, I built the ultimate survival kit that cost a little under $2k. Its a little heavy, but when I set up camp, I will be able to free much stuff. I have tried so hard on being able to start fires quick, and wet then dried TP is my favorite tinder.

hunter63
08-14-2014, 07:36 PM
Well good luck with that.........

crashdive123
08-14-2014, 07:43 PM
Mason - read and pay attention to the PM you are about to receive from me.

Tokwan
08-14-2014, 08:32 PM
You will also find that coconut husks make very very good tinder.....catcjhes fire very very easily.

Batch
08-14-2014, 09:18 PM
You will also find that coconut husks make very very good tinder.....catcjhes fire very very easily.

I have a tree that is full of coconuts year round. I don't much care for it as a tinder. How are you processing it?

I have mostly tried it on the coconuts that have fallen and browned.

Down here in South Florida I like cabbage and saw palmetto fiber and dried grass bundles around that.

Mason
08-15-2014, 03:35 PM
There ain't no coconuts where I live! But I did see that on Bear Grylls episode.

Mason
08-15-2014, 03:38 PM
No, there ain't no reason to cuss at my mom because she is respectful and full of commen sense. Beaches (to block my ban) like you need an attitude adjustment.
Do you e-mail your Mom using that keyboard?

After that you need to wipe it down with bleach and spray it with Febreze!

hunter63
08-15-2014, 03:44 PM
No, there ain't no reason to cuss at my mom because she is respectful and full of commen sense. Beaches (to block my ban) like you need an attitude adjustment.

Well, I can see you have really taken advice to heart.

Done with you.

Mason
08-15-2014, 03:52 PM
What do you mean? By growing up? I am as respectful as can be, if I do as little as back talk my dad, he'll slap me so I have my attitude in place. Not only does he teach me to be respectful, but he also teaches me to not take a punch when someone hits. And that was what I did when you and the german beach punched me. I am an A/B honor roll student, so I ain't no stupid beach. If you mean by growing up, I don't know what you mean about taking any advice to heart.
Well, I can see you have really taken advice to heart.

Done with you.

kyratshooter
08-15-2014, 03:54 PM
Deleted;

due to this kind of crap being why I retired.

Mason
08-15-2014, 05:21 PM
what was deleted

Tokwan
08-16-2014, 01:35 PM
Batch...about the coconut husks...you will need to use ripe coconuts...the brown ones..and not the green ones..the green ones are what we call young coconuts...the ripe ones are brown. after removing the husks, u will get to the seed (the inner shell which u can use as acup or a container.)where you break up and grate the flesh to make coconut milk (which is widely used here in making curry and other meals).
Leave the husks to dry for a couple days and they make good tinder...its fiber like..almost similar to jute...I will try to get some photos soon.
The young coconuts (green) are what we drink the water from. Its a good isotonic drink and a life savior...(i mean water from the green coconuts).
Again, the ripe(brown) are what we get coconut milk from.

Where I leave, there 's lots of coconuts especially on the shore.

The leaves can be used to tatch roofs or walls and the stems holding the leaves can be used to make roof rafters of a survival hootch.
The young fruits have a good supply of water and the flesh is edible.
Do not drink from a ripe fruit as it might give you an upset stomach.
the husks can be used as tinder or twined as rope..it is almost similar to jute.
A young coconut tree...which is about 4 to 5 feet in height, can be chopped down to get the tender piece in the bottom of the trunk. Be sure to dig about a foot below ground and cut the young tree there. Remove the ovrlapping skins till you get to the middle...there will be about 1 to 2 feet of tender stem that is equivalent to a plate of rice.
The spine in the middle of the leaves..can used for bbq small cut pieces of meat (like satay)..or be accumulated to make a broom...google "penyapu lidi"..and u will see under images.
Actually the coconut tree is a very household item..lots of uses...couple ripe coconuts together in a net..abnd u have a floatation device.

Graf
08-16-2014, 01:51 PM
Well I see this thread turned into romper room.

Tokwan
08-16-2014, 01:57 PM
Sorry man...I got carried away..maybe due to the storm taht put my hike off....

hunter63
08-16-2014, 01:59 PM
Well I see this thread turned into romper room.

Yeah, too bad the romper had an attitude......as sometimes it kinda cool to see the world thru 13 year old eyes and mind.

Then again, I don't feel like putting up with the BS that sometimes come with it.

Tokwan
08-16-2014, 02:03 PM
and I tot Graf was addressing me...? Ohhh my english....!!!!!!

Logarius
08-16-2014, 02:18 PM
So did Mason get banned or just took some fatherly advice to heart? Sounded like he really needs some field time with varied role models. I know being around other kids Dads as well as my own taught me different ways to deal with criticism, both good and bad.

hunter63
08-16-2014, 02:29 PM
He got banned mostly for profanity, I suspect.......several of his post that contained those rants were apparently deleted as well.

I agree with the need for a role model part.....but the way to get one isn't to cuss them out.

Raised mu own kids, and have spent time with many others as mentor.......but don't need the BS.

crashdive123
08-16-2014, 04:04 PM
He got banned because of his unwillingness to comply with forum rules as he so eloquently explained to me in response to my private messages to him.

We were all wrong - he was right - he don't take "stuff" from nobody.

alaskabushman
08-16-2014, 04:26 PM
Did you tell him to go sign up at the survivalistboards? He would fit in there.

Batch
08-16-2014, 06:54 PM
Batch...about the coconut husks...you will need to use ripe coconuts...the brown ones..and not the green ones..the green ones are what we call young coconuts...the ripe ones are brown. after removing the husks, u will get to the seed (the inner shell which u can use as acup or a container.)where you break up and grate the flesh to make coconut milk (which is widely used here in making curry and other meals).
Leave the husks to dry for a couple days and they make good tinder...its fiber like..almost similar to jute...I will try to get some photos soon.
The young coconuts (green) are what we drink the water from. Its a good isotonic drink and a life savior...(i mean water from the green coconuts).
Again, the ripe(brown) are what we get coconut milk from.

Where I leave, there 's lots of coconuts especially on the shore.

The leaves can be used to tatch roofs or walls and the stems holding the leaves can be used to make roof rafters of a survival hootch.
The young fruits have a good supply of water and the flesh is edible.
Do not drink from a ripe fruit as it might give you an upset stomach.
the husks can be used as tinder or twined as rope..it is almost similar to jute.
A young coconut tree...which is about 4 to 5 feet in height, can be chopped down to get the tender piece in the bottom of the trunk. Be sure to dig about a foot below ground and cut the young tree there. Remove the ovrlapping skins till you get to the middle...there will be about 1 to 2 feet of tender stem that is equivalent to a plate of rice.
The spine in the middle of the leaves..can used for bbq small cut pieces of meat (like satay)..or be accumulated to make a broom...google "penyapu lidi"..and u will see under images.
Actually the coconut tree is a very household item..lots of uses...couple ripe coconuts together in a net..abnd u have a floatation device.

I never get an upset stomach from drinking from ripe coconuts.

Most commercially grown palm hearts are coconut. Though we have several species that can be harvested for heart of palm. That is what we call that tender meat inside the small trees. Also if you cut the nut open after it has sprouted the coconut will be full of a soft spongy meat that can be sliced dried and toasted.

I use a pocket knife to open the green coconut. Just pry the part that was attached to the tree out and then cut a "bung" out. You can use that to close the whole after you drink your fill. The coconuts we get have more water than most people could hope to drink in one sitting. If you like the sludge that the meat is at this stage. You can slice a spoon off of the outer green husk and use that to scrape it out. I am not big on that though.

Here is my tree next to the avocado tree.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/bigcypress/dinner_island_7_30_10/20140816_175923_zpsfqdrhd93.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/bigcypress/dinner_island_7_30_10/20140816_180112_zps8fmp1qvj.jpg

Avocados have been off the chain. But, they are starting to wind down. Every yard seems filled with fallen avacado and mango these past two months. I picked two large bags of avocados without taking more than three steps last weekend before heading out to go riding.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/bigcypress/dinner_island_7_30_10/20140816_180014_zpsi8gr6dqz.jpg

Some of the first coconuts to be purposely planted in Florida were from the ship wreck of the Providencia in the late 1878. A man named Bradley and a man named Hammond salvaged the wreck and sold the coconuts to residents of the near by barrier island. That island later was named Palm Beach. As the residents grew wealthier they had the "negroes" and servants move to the main land. They called this mainland Westpalmbeach. Flagler made them change it to separate words and you got West Palm Beach.

Tokwan
08-16-2014, 07:37 PM
Great..you know about that. Its a great survival tree.

Graf
08-17-2014, 07:49 AM
Okay had to try it incase I was missing something, granted Mason went about it wrong but I believe his results were right. First picture TP (6 sheets Scotts brand) is when I wetted it thoroughly last night. pictures have date and time on them time is not set to my clock but time delay is correct. Burned for 20 minutes like a slow burning char cloth.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x225/jeffvanburen/Outdoor/TPtinder1of6.jpg (http://s182.photobucket.com/user/jeffvanburen/media/Outdoor/TPtinder1of6.jpg.html)
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x225/jeffvanburen/Outdoor/TPtinder2of6.jpg (http://s182.photobucket.com/user/jeffvanburen/media/Outdoor/TPtinder2of6.jpg.html)
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x225/jeffvanburen/Outdoor/TPtinder3of6.jpg (http://s182.photobucket.com/user/jeffvanburen/media/Outdoor/TPtinder3of6.jpg.html)
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x225/jeffvanburen/Outdoor/TPtinder4of6.jpg (http://s182.photobucket.com/user/jeffvanburen/media/Outdoor/TPtinder4of6.jpg.html)
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x225/jeffvanburen/Outdoor/TPtinder5of6.jpg (http://s182.photobucket.com/user/jeffvanburen/media/Outdoor/TPtinder5of6.jpg.html)
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x225/jeffvanburen/Outdoor/TPtinder6of6.jpg (http://s182.photobucket.com/user/jeffvanburen/media/Outdoor/TPtinder6of6.jpg.html)

Batch
08-17-2014, 10:15 AM
Graf,

A good tinder must light easily by the method you will use. As well as burning hot enough and long enough to get your kindling hot enough to burn.

Does the dried toilet paper burn just burn slower and with less of a flame than off the roll toilet paper?

Will the dry TP light as easily as off the roll?

Will the dried TP still serve its primary purpose as well as it did before being soaked?

I know you were just running a test. But, since you did. What do you think?

Graf
08-17-2014, 01:44 PM
A good tinder must light easily by the method you will use. As well as burning hot enough and long enough to get your kindling hot enough to burn.

As I said it burns equivalent to char cloth, yes it should ignite dry kindling as you blow on it.

Does the dried toilet paper burn just burn slower and with less of a flame than off the roll toilet paper?
Much slower very little flame mostly none.

Will the dry TP light as easily as off the roll?
The picture shows off th roll, as mentioned used 6 sheets.

Will the dried TP still serve its primary purpose as well as it did before being soaked?
Yes as butt wipe,only difference I would see is burning time.

I know you were just running a test. But, since you did. What do you think?

ElevenBravo
08-17-2014, 05:49 PM

Hmm... Didnt think it would go this way, over just a little bit of TP!

Sarge47
08-17-2014, 08:51 PM
What an immature young man! Okay, he may have been right about the TP being as good as char cloth, granted. But that doesn't justify all of the profanity and flaming that went along with it. If TP is as good as char cloth, cool, but that doesn't make it the "greater/greatest" tinder. And he's another one of those who want to leave society, that figures. Kid like that doesn't seem to want to get along with anybody. Besides, I know what the best tinder is........................GASOLINE!....:detective:

Tokwan
08-17-2014, 08:57 PM
I disagree..gasoline is not the best tinder, I trust more towards alcohol...the reason is I hike and I do not carry gasoline, I only carry alcohol....

Hey Sarge, of course he is imature..he is 13 , trying to get along with the bold tough men...

Sarge47
08-17-2014, 09:24 PM
I disagree..gasoline is not the best tinder, I trust more towards alcohol...the reason is I hike and I do not carry gasoline, I only carry alcohol....

Hey Sarge, of course he is imature..he is 13 , trying to get along with the bold tough men...

1st, the "gasoline" line was a joke.

2nd, being 13 is no excuse, he stated that he respected his parents, remember? So what are they teaching him? At 13 ny son was always respectful of people, even those he didn't agree with or like very much; he continues to be that way today, in his 30s. He's an honor student? That's another slap against the public school system IMO....:detective:

Tokwan
08-17-2014, 10:17 PM
Sarge,....if I am the mod..I would have banned you too...hahahahah..
I was only joking too about the gasoline and the alcohol........my two sons even though they are in college and University, and they are each 3rd Dan and 1st Dan black belters in Tae Kwon Do are still very respectful to me and also the public. They do not fight or argue and always have a cool head...I always believe lots of love and good upbringing is the root to good children

(I am trying to speak American here).

Sarge47
08-17-2014, 11:16 PM
my two sons even though they are in college and University, and they are each 3rd Dan and 1st Dan black belters in Tae Kwon Do... (I am trying to speak American here).

1st, thanks for the heads up...if I ever chance to meet them I won't be giving them any crap! (lol)

2nd, My kid brother, his wife, and both sons all have black belts in Tae Kwon Do (Hopkido) One son also has a high rank belt in Karate. I don't give them any crap either.

3rd, here is the American translation of your above quote: "Dude, both of my boys are now in college and have black belts in Tae Kwon Do. The also respect everybody, but if dissed will kick your butt in a New York minute!"...:eek2:

Tokwan
08-17-2014, 11:20 PM
Dude, tae Kwon Do and Hap Ki Do are two totally different martial arts...but yeah, they sure do lots of kickin;' and punchin'. However, what the heck do you mean "a New York minute"?
Hehehe..still learning.

crashdive123
08-18-2014, 05:55 AM
Dude, tae Kwon Do and Hap Ki Do are two totally different martial arts...but yeah, they sure do lots of kickin;' and punchin'. However, what the heck do you mean "a New York minute"?
Hehehe..still learning.

Here ya go. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=New%20York%20Minute

Sarge47
08-18-2014, 07:35 AM
Dude, tae Kwon Do and Hap Ki Do are two totally different martial arts...

Not according to my brother, and I've seen the video of his Black Belt test where he flies over a chair, foot straight out in front of him, to break the board his teacher was holding.....:mellow:

Batch
08-18-2014, 12:53 PM
Not according to my brother, and I've seen the video of his Black Belt test where he flies over a chair, foot straight out in front of him, to break the board his teacher was holding.....:mellow:

We got some thread drift going on. If your breaking boards into smaller pieces, isn't that generally a kindling deal. This here topic is about tinder!

kyratshooter
08-18-2014, 01:18 PM
We got some thread drift going on. If your breaking boards into smaller pieces, isn't that generally a kindling deal. This here topic is about tinder!

Now there is something we can sink our collective teeth into!

The difference between tinder and kindling and their assigned purposes ????

What are they used for and when does tinder become kindling?

As for thread drift, well I think this one drifted way south nearly a week ago!

hunter63
08-18-2014, 01:49 PM
Tinder will catch a spark, ...........kindling won't?
Fuzz sticks are something you give a kid to do to keep them busy.....

alaskabushman
08-18-2014, 02:00 PM
Now there is something we can sink our collective teeth into!

The difference between tinder and kindling and their assigned purposes ????

What are they used for and when does tinder become kindling?

As for thread drift, well I think this one drifted way south nearly a week ago!

In my mind, tinder is easily ignited by spark or small flame to produce a hotter flame. Like charcloth, cottonball+vaseline, shredded cedar bark, cattail down, alcohol swab, birch bark or even gunpowder.
Kindling (dry grass, small twigs, witches hair, fatwood...) is what takes the small flame and turns it into a sustainable fire, since tinder itself will not usually burn long.
Thats how I look at it in my mind, but there are those who would argue that charcloth is not tinder since it doesn't actually flame itself.

MrFixIt
08-18-2014, 02:12 PM
In my mind, tinder is easily ignited by spark or small flame to produce a hotter flame. Like charcloth, cottonball+vaseline, shredded cedar bark, cattail down, alcohol swab, birch bark or even gunpowder.
Kindling (dry grass, small twigs, witches hair, fatwood...) is what takes the small flame and turns it into a sustainable fire, since tinder itself will not usually burn long.
Thats how I look at it in my mind, but there are those who would argue that charcloth is not tinder since it doesn't actually flame itself.

You classify fatwood as kindling, and I can kind of agree...but I've used fatwood saw dust to catch a spark from a ferro rod.

This could turn into a very enlightening discussion...

hunter63
08-18-2014, 02:27 PM
You classify fatwood as kindling, and I can kind of agree...but I've used fatwood saw dust to catch a spark from a ferro rod.

Well, then I would have to call a 1954 Chevy tinder, as it caught fire from a road flare.......LOL
Very enlightening......

alaskabushman
08-18-2014, 02:34 PM

Hey, if you can light it with a spark...tinder! I listed fatwood as kindling because I usually use it by splitting it down to matchstick sizes and put it on top of whatever tinder I'm using. I bought a tin of Maya Dust from LightMyFire once and it could be sparked, though not always easily.

MrFixIt
08-18-2014, 03:15 PM
Well, then I would have to call a 1954 Chevy tinder, as it caught fire from a road flare.......LOL
Very enlightening......

Couldn't help but laugh!

Hey, if you can light it with a spark...tinder! I listed fatwood as kindling because I usually use it by splitting it down to matchstick sizes and put it on top of whatever tinder I'm using. I bought a tin of Maya Dust from LightMyFire once and it could be sparked, though not always easily.

I've never tried any of the commercially available products like you mentioned. I'm old, cheap, and stuck in my ways...
As far as splitting fatwood, I do the same, but I keep a piece large enough to hold onto so that I can shave it with my knife.
The varying sizes of the shavings catch quickly.

alaskabushman
08-18-2014, 03:29 PM
Natural fatwood is pretty much nonexistent up here in my part of Alaska. We don't have any pine trees. My grandpa lives in Washington and he'll send be up bundles of it off his property. I've tried using the same thing with spruce and cedar but it's either too rotten or not rotten enough!

hunter63
08-18-2014, 03:55 PM
Natural fatwood is pretty much nonexistent up here in my part of Alaska. We don't have any pine trees. My grandpa lives in Washington and he'll send be up bundles of it off his property. I've tried using the same thing with spruce and cedar but it's either too rotten or not rotten enough!

Fat wood is what's left afy=ter all the "wood" rots away leaving a real concentration of resin left in the remaining wood....Re have some in WI, but I get most of mine in Louisiana, deer lease, is a yellow pine tree farm, ready to be culled again....plenty of old stuff remaining for fires and old cuttings.

alaskabushman
08-18-2014, 04:03 PM
Up here, nothing is left after rotting...

crashdive123
08-18-2014, 04:13 PM
Down here nothing is left after termites.

Canoetripper
08-18-2014, 04:42 PM
Down here nothing is left after termites.

That is a false statement Crash Florida is full of fat wood .
Termites do not eat fatwood buddy................

Graf
08-18-2014, 05:08 PM

Do you have Chaga grows on yellow birch, very medicinal and grabs a spark nicely.

alaskabushman
08-18-2014, 05:10 PM
Birch grows farther north, but not here in the temperate rain forests of the southeast region. Our wood selection is Sitka spruce, red and yellow cedar, western hemlock and alder, that's it! Oh and the occasional crab apple, not really a tree though, more a bush.

Graf
08-18-2014, 06:48 PM
Birch grows farther north, but not here in the temperate rain forests of the southeast region. Our wood selection is Sitka spruce, red and yellow cedar, western hemlock and alder, that's it! Oh and the occasional crab apple, not really a tree though, more a bush.
Well guess go with my all time standby for kindling. I take my chain saw shavings put them in a garbage bag,spray bottle of kerosene or diesel and spray the shavings down mix them all up and spray them again, keep the bag closed, last foreever and works extremely well in all weather conditions.

alaskabushman
08-18-2014, 07:16 PM
Well guess go with my all time standby for kindling. I take my chain saw shavings put them in a garbage bag,spray bottle of kerosene or diesel and spray the shavings down mix them all up and spray them again, keep the bag closed, last foreever and works extremely well in all weather conditions.

This works so well, that it's how I build a fire in my wood stove every morning. Cheating? Maybe, but I don't care.

I go to a buddies who does woodwork and get all his cedar planer shavings.

hunter63
08-18-2014, 07:36 PM
One on my "go to's" has been excelsior the shredded wood shaving found in packing material, and old stuffed furniture.

Example

http://www.uline.com/BL_1972/Excelsior?pricode=WO336&AdKeyword=excelsior&AdMatchtype=e&gclid=Cj0KEQjwyMafBRCU7OCRyc2vitsBEiQAKV4H9GqT0Jn1 3HSGnifX66k6_d_x_tJrrzo_eatBBQGbjRQaAvbr8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Got a bunch from an old leather chair that I salvaged the leather, and brass tacks....the excelsior was inside....so salvaged that as well.

Still have some left, .....use it as a tinder bundle for flint(rock) and steel fire starting contests.....Stuff must have been dried for 100years.

This is a well kept secret....

crashdive123
08-18-2014, 08:25 PM
That is a false statement Crash Florida is full of fat wood .
Termites do not eat fatwood buddy................

Yeah, I kind of know how the termite thing works. It was a joke in response to a post from Alaska.

hunter63
08-18-2014, 08:57 PM
Yeah, I kind of know how the termite thing works. It was a joke in response to a post from Alaska.

LOL you should......

MrFixIt
08-19-2014, 06:56 AM

Just the opposite in my neck o' the woods...fatwood is everywhere.
I need to send you some shavings.

alaskabushman
08-19-2014, 12:15 PM
I had to check...

Wood Products 9910 Fatwood Box, 10 Pounds https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HHO4W6/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_aF38tb1D0WE57

Sure enough! Amazon has everything...

hunter63
08-19-2014, 12:20 PM
I had to check...

Wood Products 9910 Fatwood Box, 10 Pounds https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HHO4W6/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_aF38tb1D0WE57

Sure enough! Amazon has everything...

WOW $24+ bucks plus 15+ shipping........
Hey the stuff work well, but it's not magic .......WOW

alaskabushman
08-19-2014, 12:33 PM
Yeah, wasn't planning on buying any.

Tokwan
08-19-2014, 08:41 PM
Still sticking to my balls of cotton and petroleum jelly.

alaskabushman
08-19-2014, 11:07 PM
Still sticking to my balls of cotton and petroleum jelly.

agreed. I'll stick with that and spruce pitch.

MrFixIt
08-20-2014, 07:00 AM
WOW $24+ bucks plus 15+ shipping........
Hey the stuff work well, but it's not magic .......WOW

Dang...must be mixed with pixie dust and unicorn hair...

I believe I can ship a gallon sized Ziploc baggie of fatwood shavings a lot cheaper (CONUS of course).

*Edit*
That is not an advertisement.
Don't have the prerequisite 100 posts to sell on this forum.