PDA

View Full Version : How can spiders be used in a survival situation?

Mason
08-12-2014, 03:11 PM
There is a ton of spiders in my area. In a survival situation, I need to take advantage of my resources. How can I take advantage of spiders?

Sarge47
08-12-2014, 03:25 PM
Promise them anything!...:1:

crashdive123
08-12-2014, 03:28 PM
There is a ton of spiders in my area. In a survival situation, I need to take advantage of my resources. How can I take advantage of spiders?

Can you be a little more descriptive on what you had in mind?

Webs can be used to aid in stopping bleeding, but there are better (IMO) methods available.

Lamewolf
08-12-2014, 04:18 PM
Fish and bird bait ?

hunter63
08-12-2014, 05:35 PM
If you pay attention to where the webs are....as in across trails .....you can tell if anything has come that way or not.

I've seen webs show up over night across pretty wide 4 wheeler trails.......you can see the dew on them early in the morning....if one is kinda flapping in the breeze, look for tracks of what knocked it down.

That's why you see a switch, or flag on the front of the 4 wheelers in the south....knocks down the webs before you drive thru.

Have had spiders keep cabbage white and yellow moths off my vegetables with a wide web across the plants.

kyratshooter
08-12-2014, 05:44 PM
They are great for security.

If you stretch their webs across trails you will hear anyone approaching squeal and do their spider web dance like an 8 year old little girl.

crashdive123
08-12-2014, 08:26 PM

If you stretch their webs across trails you will hear anyone approaching squeal and do their spider web dance like an 8 year old little girl.

Was I that obvious?:noway:

Grizz123
08-13-2014, 10:31 AM
target practice

Mason
08-13-2014, 10:50 AM
haha how do i stretch the web?

Mason
08-13-2014, 10:51 AM
I'll keep that in mind!

Tokwan
08-13-2014, 08:58 PM
1. use them as bait ..and the web to secure the bait.
2. Use them to help build fire, assist the tinder to burn better (my english is not so good to articulate properly so someone here might shoot me for this).
3. If you are fleeing from LEO..or from someone hunting you...there is a spider web blocking the trail...go around it leaving the least marks...it might show to that someone chasing you that you probably did not pass through..and might search elsewhere....(in the Islamic history, it was said that Prophet Muhammed hid in a cave and a spider built its web blocking the entrance.....when the Quraish tribe that was hunting him came to the cave, they looked elsewhere as they thought he was not inside...please do not ask me to elaborate on this history,...this is all I know about it...

How do you identify a spider is venomous? Stick your finger out and it sting you..if you became sick or you die...then it is venomous.

Highhawk1948
08-13-2014, 09:01 PM
Use the web for a coagulate on wounds.

Tokwan
08-13-2014, 10:42 PM
Good one...totally forgot about that..

hunter63
08-14-2014, 10:17 AM

That's where the comment on a stick or flag on the front of the 4 wheelers came from......SIL 200 pound guy bailing out of a 4 wheeler, at 10 miles an hour wrestling with a bid yellow and black one........screaming........But he was driving.

MrFixIt
08-14-2014, 02:23 PM
1. use them as bait ..and the web to secure the bait.
2. Use them to help build fire, assist the tinder to burn better (my english is not so good to articulate properly so someone here might shoot me for this).
3. If you are fleeing from LEO..or from someone hunting you...there is a spider web blocking the trail...go around it leaving the least marks...it might show to that someone chasing you that you probably did not pass through..and might search elsewhere....(in the Islamic history, it was said that Prophet Muhammed hid in a cave and a spider built its web blocking the entrance.....when the Quraish tribe that was hunting him came to the cave, they looked elsewhere as they thought he was not inside...please do not ask me to elaborate on this history,...this is all I know about it...

How do you identify a spider is venomous? Stick your finger out and it sting you..if you became sick or you die...then it is venomous.

Would you mind elaborating on the bolded part Tokwan?
I've never heard of this and am interested.
And I'm not shooting at you...:)

Tokwan
08-14-2014, 08:46 PM
Sometimes, these webs have a sort of glue/wax and in my areas where the tinders are usually wet..even the wood get soaked to the core..we would wrap spider webs and mixed them with bamboo shavings into a sort of fire stik...mixing spider web with tinders also helps to hold the tinder together in windy conditions so that the tinder doesn't fly around..
They may be slow to start but when they start, they can sure hold the fire....its simply like waxing your tinders...I do not know the actual name for the glue or wax on these webs...but the local folks who are the experts of the jungle here seems to be doing well..I tried a few time s and it worked..the spiders are usually the ones with the long legs and seem to be shaking left and right...

MrFixIt
08-15-2014, 07:46 AM
Sometimes, these webs have a sort of glue/wax and in my areas where the tinders are usually wet..even the wood get soaked to the core..we would wrap spider webs and mixed them with bamboo shavings into a sort of fire stik...mixing spider web with tinders also helps to hold the tinder together in windy conditions so that the tinder doesn't fly around..
They may be slow to start but when they start, they can sure hold the fire....its simply like waxing your tinders...I do not know the actual name for the glue or wax on these webs...but the local folks who are the experts of the jungle here seems to be doing well..I tried a few time s and it worked..the spiders are usually the ones with the long legs and seem to be shaking left and right...

I see now. I actually witnessed this in Central America, and just now realize why the native collected spider webs.
Thanks for sharing Tokwan!

Tokwan
08-16-2014, 01:54 PM
Errr...here the local elders also rub spider webs on the skin for those who have the albino disease...its something to do with the skin where they make us brown Malays look like white guys....don't know if it worked or not....