PDA

View Full Version : Why is honey still cheap?

BraggSurvivor
04-14-2008, 05:02 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With all of the news last year about CCD (Colony Colapse Disorder) - why didn't honey get very expensive? I think I found out why. Here's a clip from an article I found:

The U.S. and Canada imports millions of pounds of honey from China, but the product isn’t necessarily unadulterated honey. As consumers it's informative to learn what goes on behind the scenes.

The global food brokerage firm, S. Kamberg & Company Ltd., warns businesses purchasing imports about products sold as honey. S. Kamberg’s site at (http://skamberg.com/honey.htm) recently reported, “There was not a lot of ‘real honey’ coming into USA from China until last month when the U.S. imported over 4 million lbs. The USA had previously been receiving a lot of packer’s syrup from China (honey blended with other sugar syrups).

It is uncertain if this was actual packer’s syrup, or possibly actual honey sold as packer’s syrup to avoid duties. The probability is high that any actual packer’s syrup entering this country would be blended with and sold as real honey.”

In other words, if you thought you were getting a good deal on honey, it may not have been honey. Just a product cheap enough to undercut the price of local honey.

It looks like we need to be very careful - and buy from local producers!!

wildWoman
04-14-2008, 05:59 PM
hey, I think it's more sinister than that...it's the goobernment keeping it cheap so everybody buys it. They put mind-altering substances into it to facilitate crowd control and an obsession with conspiracy and doomsday theories, to keep people busy thinking up scary scenarios instead of getting busy and changing the way that "democratic" countries are run.

Ole WV Coot
04-14-2008, 06:05 PM
Good question. I can buy in KY but here across the river I don't think I have seen a honeybee for the last couple of years at least.

Alpine_Sapper
04-14-2008, 06:25 PM
Honey is cheap where you're at? Must be nice. The crap they sell commercially here is just as expensive as the locally produced stuff, so it's at least nice that you can get decent quality honey.

Rick
04-14-2008, 07:59 PM
(blink)(blink) Looking down at honey on biscuit. Looking up at Wildwoman's post. Looking back down at biscuit. Tossing biscuit in trash. Double checking my voter registration card.

bulrush
04-30-2008, 03:46 PM
I can tell you I buy about 32oz container of honey about every 4-5 months. Price hasn't changed in 4 years, and it still tastes the same to me. But every bottle has its source printed on it. Sometimes the stamp says "Brazil", sometimes "China", but the past 3 bottles have all said "US" on it as the source.

pgvoutdoors
05-04-2008, 08:48 AM
O.k. let me get this right, honey that's not real honey? This hits home hard! I've always been a lover of honey, it's the food of the gods. To mess with honey is blasphemous. Grab the pitch forks and torches, were leaving Indiana and going to China. (inside joke) :mad:

Omid
05-04-2008, 09:04 AM
Well the honey near me is unbelieveably expensive these days. Every once in a while the price literally doubles.

I blame war and gas prices rising. We spent all the money on war, not for the citizens.

Well now we all have to suffer. Not only food, but EVERYTHING is going to have higher prices. Because truckers need to spend a lot of money on gas, they charge more. The producers have to pay more to ship items and make prices go up. And the higher gas prices go up, the higher prices for EVERYTHING goes up.

Rick
05-04-2008, 09:11 AM
That's okay. I actually had gas last week and blamed Bush. Hiccups, too.

I just purchased a 2 lb. 8 oz (1.13 kg) container of Pure Clover honey from Kroger. It says Product of USA on it. I don't remember what I paid but it wasn't very much.

Chicago Dan
05-14-2008, 11:13 AM
Interesting.
I guess it's just local conditions. Supply and demand locally that may be affecting the price in your area. Here in the big windy we had a price spike about 7-8 years ago but it has been stable since. Maybe its just your turn.;)

Also, I saw a big fat bumble bee in my yard two days ago.
We get quite a few here even within city limits.

What we could use is a downturn in rats.
All type: Brown, city, sewer, river and those with/without hairy tails.