PDA

View Full Version : Tree ID field guide

leparker
08-01-2014, 12:27 PM
I would like some opinions on what you think is the best tree identification field guide to buy. This would be for the eastern U.S. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Larry

Rick
08-01-2014, 12:46 PM
Larry, I have an extremely old tree guide. The title is A Golden Guide Trees. I liked it so well that I bought one of the Golden Guides for insects. I've never used another guide on trees so I can't really make any comparisons but I do like this one.

pete lynch
08-01-2014, 04:17 PM
I have the National Audubon Society Guide to Trees/ Eastern Edition and that's the only one I have ever used. I grew up in the woods and I know what is what pretty much. However, in my later travels I have found a few trees growing natively that I was not familiar with and this book helped a lot.

ElevenBravo
08-01-2014, 09:39 PM
Thanks to the OP for bringing up a good question I have wanted to, but keep forgetting to, ask.

EB

Eastree
08-01-2014, 10:35 PM
For a basic tree ID guide, I like this book. There's one for every major region in the US. It's a very simple leaf-based identification system, and has only failed to identify one tree (it was narrowed to either of two oaks with very similar leaves) when I have used it. The book is small; it fits in a pocket with room to spare.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2w2ifr9.jpg

pgvoutdoors
08-07-2014, 06:05 PM
Two good books that are readily available are the National Audubon Society Field Guide to Trees (Eastern Region) and Peterson Field Guide, Eastern Trees. The Audubon Society's gives more background on each tree, Peterson's guides are very good field guides.