PDA

View Full Version : Need opinion on these online wilderness courses..

Agaska
07-30-2014, 03:21 PM
Hey, found this site easttexassurvival and they have online distance learning survival classes, was wondering if anyone has taken some or what you think. Am thinking of taking the free class they offer. Would like some feedback before I invest time, but looks pretty interesting.
Thanks
Carol

RandyRhoads
07-30-2014, 04:12 PM
I don't know anything about those but "online wilderness course" sounds like an oxymoron. Why not just read some good books and practice the skills yourself? Can't imagine an online course being more than that.

Lamewolf
07-30-2014, 04:20 PM
I don't know anything about those but "online wilderness course" sounds like an oxymoron. Why not just read some good books and practice the skills yourself? Can't imagine an online course being more than that.

My thoughts exactly or order some good DVDs that cover the subject. The DVDs from Ron Hood and Dave Canterbury come to mind first and I have a lot of the Ones from Ron Hood - good instruction there !

Rick
07-30-2014, 04:57 PM
I guess I would want to know who the instructors are and something about their background. What qualifies them to teach the classes? Next, I would want to know some specifics about the distance learning curriculum. Distance learning can be an excellent learning experience IF the instructor is accessible to answer questions and/or online conferences are conducted to take the reading material into a deeper contextual level. If it's just online reading with no access to instructors then it really doesn't accomplish any more that the books or DVDs mentioned above.

crashdive123
07-30-2014, 07:16 PM
Hmmmmmmmm. Since you are both in the same area, why not just stop by and interview them to see if you are interested. You wouldn't be affiliated with the site would you?

hunter63
07-30-2014, 08:42 PM
What would these courses consist of ?......a general approach?...basic skills?....and why free?
In a get what you pay for world.....are these a introductory offer?...then pay?

I have to agree, what about the books?, and vids?....Lots out there.

welderguy
07-30-2014, 09:55 PM
Sounds like a friendly way to sneak some spam into the forum , just my 2 cents!!!

Sarge47
07-31-2014, 12:06 AM
I don't see any value to that. Hook up with the Boy Scouts, they can teach you all you need to know!..:detective:

DomC
07-31-2014, 12:28 AM
The advanced course is $150 samoleons...I wonder if they send you any free survival stuff? Not!!

DomC