Rick
07-25-2014, 01:03 PM
Thanks, Chris.

crashdive123
07-25-2014, 01:08 PM
Cool. Thanks.

Winnie
07-25-2014, 05:50 PM
Thanks, I'm actually attempting to design an idiot proof passive system at the moment from stuff I can get for free or at least very cheap.

pgvoutdoors
07-25-2014, 06:11 PM
I think this should get people talking about Aquaponics, off-the-griders and homesteaders have taken a big interest in this. Tilapia is one of the favored fish in this process. I would be interested in hearing from people practicing Aquaponics.

Chris
07-29-2014, 10:16 AM
I dislike tilapia (flavor, or complete lack thereof), I want to try it with trout, when I move and have more room. I'm building a greenhouse with a basement (well, I hope to...banks etc), its attached to the house so I just extended the basement to include the greenhouse too. In the greenhouse basement is where I'll put my rainwater storage tanks, but then also I was thinking it'd be perfect for an aquaponics setup, I could build fish tanks in the basement, pipe the water up through the floor to the greenhouse. I'd like to get to the point though where I would be making my own fish food from the garden as well.

pgvoutdoors
07-29-2014, 07:29 PM
Tilapia is a pretty plain fish but it's very durable, Carp like. Trout need cool waters so depending on where you live, the cooling process may become a big deal. I don't know about the food requirements between the two either. If you can do it though, that will be some good eat'n. This is all new to me, following the process or hearing input from others will be a big help in learning about this.

Batch
07-29-2014, 09:49 PM
I can cast net a weeks worth of Tilapia down here in one cast.

Winter
07-31-2014, 02:37 PM
As I understand it, the reason tilapia are great for aquaponics is that the young hide in the mothers mouth and that helps the fry survive. It makes sense to me.