PDA

View Full Version : A Gunfree Zone Ignored....Fortunately.

Rick
07-25-2014, 06:10 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/doctor-2-shot-pennsylvania-hospital-article-1.1879032

crashdive123
07-25-2014, 06:14 AM
I'm sure (insert sarcasm here) the the headlines will be "Crazed Murderer Stopped By Gun Carrying Citizen".

natertot
07-25-2014, 08:12 AM
The headline read "Gun Toting Psychiatrist" Am I the only carrier that finds the word "toting" derogatory?

Any way, wonder if the doc will get fired or charged with anything......

BENESSE
07-25-2014, 08:21 AM
I don't believe he'll get fired but doubt he'd be invited on any news shows. People whose mind is indiscriminately made up against guns, will never entertain reason or consider benefits to being armed.

Rick
07-25-2014, 01:08 PM
Am I the only carrier that finds the word "toting" derogatory

No. However, you have to sensationalize the heading to grab the readers it seems.

I read about some convicted murderer that was executed Wednesday and it took him two hours to die all the while he was gasping and snorting. I thought that was so wrong. In this day and age of modern chemicals you'd thing they could have strung it out a couple of more hours. What's the hurry? Sheeesh.

natertot
07-25-2014, 01:51 PM
I could come up with catchy headlines without being derogatory. "Doc saves lives..... With gun!"

I too heard about the execution thingy. Media keeps calling it "a botched execution" which leaves me confused. Its an execution and the guy died...... How's that botched? Anyway, if they want it quick and sure, why not go back to hanging, firing squads, and the guillotine? I don't think anyone was conscious more than a minute or lived more than five using these methods. A bit cheaper too......

hunter63
07-25-2014, 02:59 PM
Lady shot her 15 year old car jacker in Milwaukee....and the poor thing is paralyzed.....Too bad.

LowKey
07-25-2014, 06:42 PM
More long executions might be more of a deterrent to crime than just a simple quick painless execution.
How many death row guys have filed emergency stays after that first one?

Hope that Doc doesn't lose his job...

kyratshooter
07-25-2014, 07:29 PM
I am sure he will lose his position. Especially in that part of the country.

He made a choice, break the rules of the hospital and live or follow the rules and die.

That is the choice the anti gunners want to make each citizen take on a daily basis.

Now take into consideration that this man knows exactly the inclinations and capabilities of the patients he treats and realized the situation he was paced in was inevitable.

Perhaps there is a hospital in Texas that can use a good Psych Doctor.

Rick
07-25-2014, 10:35 PM
You ever been to Texas? He would have no shortage of patients.

kyratshooter
07-26-2014, 12:25 PM
Depends in what you call "crazy"!

Batch
07-26-2014, 01:10 PM
I too heard about the execution thingy. Media keeps calling it "a botched execution" which leaves me confused. Its an execution and the guy died...... How's that botched? Anyway, if they want it quick and sure, why not go back to hanging, firing squads, and the guillotine? I don't think anyone was conscious more than a minute or lived more than five using these methods. A bit cheaper too......

Hangings have been famously botched in the past and many different methods have been employed to try and make it more humane. Long drops have caused decapitation which is humane for the executed, But, not so much for the executioner and the witnesses. Same reason the Guillotine isn't used. There are many instances where the person being hanged has kicked and fought for dozens of minutes before becoming still. Though, more than likely they are unconscious after 6 to 12 seconds.

If offered a choice, I would opt for Guillotine or firing squad.

LowKey
07-26-2014, 02:41 PM
Firing squad? If it was a head shot, maybe. Can take some time if hit in the center of mass...
Assuming they do it the old way and only give half the shooters live rounds so no one of them knows if it was them who fired the coup de grace.

Rick
07-26-2014, 03:34 PM
Have you ever fired a blank cartridge? You can tell the difference. The shooters know if they placed lead or not.

kyratshooter
07-26-2014, 04:30 PM
We could return to hanging till half dead, drawing the intestines, beheading then quartering with the quarters sent to the four corners of the state and the head placed on a pike in the prison yard.

That's pretty final!

They used to charge admission and parents would bring their kids to watch as a deterrent to future bad decisions on their part.

In the past a military firing squad required the officer in charge to place a head shot in the subject after all the other firing had ceased. No taking 15 or 20 minutes to bleed out.

Members of firing squads were notorious for failing to fire into lethal areas of the body, and it was not due to guilt, it was their own perverted means of entertainment. They had a lot of problems with that at the executions at Nuremberg after WW2. The soldiers would gut shoot the condemned, shoot out their knees and all manner of foolishness.

Batch
07-26-2014, 04:38 PM
Firing squad? If it was a head shot, maybe. Can take some time if hit in the center of mass...
Assuming they do it the old way and only give half the shooters live rounds so no one of them knows if it was them who fired the coup de grace.

They usually give one guy a dummy bullet with a wax or rubber projectile. They aim from 20 yards with a .30-30 at your heart. The very fastest way short of decapitation is to rip the veins or arteries closest to the heart. The sudden loss of blood pressure renders you unconciuos and you bleed out very quickly. 4) .30-30 fired simultaneously into the heart gets the job done quickly!

Batch
07-26-2014, 04:50 PM
This was in my email today. Ironically after I posted to this thread.

The seventh photo had this caption:

There have only been 34 people killed by firing squad in the U.S., but the last one was rather recent. Ronnie Lee Gardner was executed by firing squad in Utah in 2010. Firing squad is the only method of execution with a 0 percent botched execution rate.

From this article:

http://www.local10.com/news/history-of-the-death-penalty-in-america/27127094

crashdive123
07-26-2014, 05:03 PM
I don't understand the problem with lethal injection executions. The stuff they use to put us under for surgery works fantastic. After that the "recipient" of the lethal cocktail could care less what's in it.

LowKey
07-26-2014, 10:09 PM
Actually I've never fired a blank round.

And Crash I agree. There should be no issues with putting someone out first then going with the "cocktail." The problem may more lie with the fact that no one with med school training is going to do it. There's that "do no harm" oath thing. Which I don't blame them for taking and adhering to it but if a state is going to go with lethal injection they should make darn sure the technician knows exactly where to place the needle and what is going to go down.

Rick
07-27-2014, 07:27 AM
@ Kyrat. Yes. All of the above. I figure if you've done something so heinous to receive a death sentence then why show you any more mercy than you showed your victims. Putting you to sleep first sorta takes the fun out of it. I would have made a grand king.