PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel Pole

cntrybo2
04-13-2008, 09:25 PM
Does anyone have any pictures of a squirrel pole they have made? Also, who has had success with this trapping method and what are the tricks of this trapping scenario? Thanks in advance!

crashdive123
04-13-2008, 09:33 PM
Does anyone have any pictures of a squirrel pole they have made? Also, who has had success with this trapping method and what are the tricks of this trapping scenario? Thanks in advance!

You may have missed it in the other thread that you started.
http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2104&highlight=squirrel+pole
Post # 61 you asked about them and Rick gave you a good link in post #62. Hope this helps.

cntrybo2
04-13-2008, 11:02 PM
first, i definately appreciate your research on the subject and yes i did see that post when it was initially made. I was kind of hoping to see a real life version of this and hear any stories that might go along with making one first hand.

Alpine_Sapper
04-13-2008, 11:07 PM
first, i definately appreciate your research on the subject and yes i did see that post when it was initially made. I was kind of hoping to see a real life version of this and hear any stories that might go along with making one first hand.

Here, check this out:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=l3Ya6z-NlDo&feature=related

;)

Sam
04-14-2008, 12:54 AM
Here, check this out:

;)

That ROCKS!!! ROFLMAO!!

Rick
04-14-2008, 07:49 AM
Man! I can't tell you how wrong that is on so many levels. It was funny but that guy should get a ride in his own rig.

nell67
04-14-2008, 07:58 AM
Guys,that was funny,but I liked this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ikH9ZRcF2Q&feature=related

crashdive123
04-14-2008, 08:02 AM
Guys,that was funny,but I liked this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ikH9ZRcF2Q&feature=related

Now THAT was funny. At least in this video it was the squirrels own doing. Good thing it didn't get too high on the tree. I wonder if running in circles helps or hurts with squirrel hangover.

Rick
04-14-2008, 08:03 AM
That was funny. I'm pretty sure I've looked like that a time or two. Bushy tail and all.

nell67
04-14-2008, 08:06 AM
Me too!:eek:

Rick
04-14-2008, 08:10 AM
Countryboy - I did a search on Youtube and on the net in general and didn't find anything on the squirrel pole.

Alpine_Sapper
04-14-2008, 12:42 PM
Countryboy - I did a search on Youtube and on the net in general and didn't find anything on the squirrel pole.

Me too, bro. That was what prompted the link to the squirrel-o-pult. I laughed the first time I saw it, but I agree the guy needs a ride in a rig of the same type, only larger. The best link I found was what was given in the other thread.

However, it's pretty straighforward stuff. Couple a snares using the pole for the stake. There's plenty of information for snaring on here. I'd definitely give it a try, but with the number of stray cats to squirrels being about equal and both being very plentiful I have a feeling I'd be having a conversation with this old woman down the street reminds me of The Crazy Cat Lady from The Simpsons. (She feeds the strays. That's why theirs so many. They make good sport for my Akita when I put him on his 30' "play" lead. :D )

Coutryboy - man, snare wire is cheap, and a wooden pole can't be that hard to come by. Why don't you give it a try and let us know? If you've got a digital camera I'd love to see some pics of how you do it.

Rick
04-14-2008, 12:47 PM
Go with brass, copper or stainless steel in 22 or 24 gauge if you build one.

Ole WV Coot
04-15-2008, 09:23 AM
Find yourself a telephone truck and beg, borrow or steal some wire. Most of what he will have is 22 in pretty colors.

Durlaburban
02-12-2009, 04:49 PM
im interested in making a Squirrel pole. But i dont know much about them. like what to use for the snares on it. how to get them to stand up but yet hang a squirrel. Would a stiff picture haning wire work? and how long should one be?

Thanks guys.

P.S. some pictures of you past ventures would help.

nell67
02-12-2009, 04:52 PM
Here is a thread posted some time ago by another member interested in thesquirrel pole.:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2542&highlight=squirrel+pole

Rick
02-12-2009, 06:04 PM
http://www.m4040.com/Survival/Skills/Hunting%20and%20Snaring/Snares/Squirrel%20Snare.htm

Copper, brass or stainless steel wire in 24 gauge.

klkak
02-12-2009, 06:06 PM
Try this setup. It works for me.

Durlaburban
02-15-2009, 09:11 PM
i found a great tree to make a squirrel pole, but should i clear around it first so the pole is more apealling to them? plus i got 18 ga copper wire.. is that alright for the snares?

Stairman
02-15-2009, 11:44 PM
Squirrels arent too picky.The squirrel pole is illegal in many areas so be careful.In an emergency who cares,but for fun or sport the ticket may not be worth it.

Durlaburban
02-16-2009, 07:59 AM
anything is illeagal somewhere... you think i care? not at all. i only listen to nature. when she says build a squirrel pole then i do lol. you know how she tells me? by making five squirrles raid my bird feeder every morning!

Fletcher
02-16-2009, 10:39 AM
anything is illeagal somewhere... you think i care? not at all. i only listen to nature. when she says build a squirrel pole then i do lol. you know how she tells me? by making five squirrles raid my bird feeder every morning!
there is a more funner way to take care of your problems!!!
CCI cb's nice and quiet..

Durlaburban
02-16-2009, 10:29 PM
got the squirrel pole up. also set snares on nearby holes (caches) of the squirrels. ill check them daily now. also i have a scilencer on my 22 lr but the neighbors notice that kinda stuff. and i really dont want the cops poking around because i have a scileced weapon. Its illeagal around here im pretty sure. Now that law im afraid of because in Vermont all it takes is your neighborhood stray getting shot and next thing you know theres an inventory request on ALL your guns. and they search if you refuse.

swampmouse
02-18-2009, 03:47 AM
I hope you got some squirrel recipes. I use a BB gun.

Sarge47
07-20-2009, 10:29 PM
Saw this & thought of you; don't know why! :innocent::sneaky2::cool2:

Sarge47
07-20-2009, 11:36 PM
Bump! :innocent::sneaky2::cool2:

Sarge47
07-20-2009, 11:38 PM
Bump!:sneaky2::innocent::cool2:

Ken
07-20-2009, 11:45 PM
Here, check this out:

;)

That is the product of a sick mind.

Ken
07-20-2009, 11:48 PM
Do you know why you can all sleep so soundly and securely at night?

It's because squirrels protect your homes and property while your families are asleep, that's why. Do they publicize their efforts or ask for rewards? No. Do you even appreciate what they do for you? No.

Instead, you ridicule them and abuse them in threads like this one. You should all be ashamed. :sneaky2:

Sarge47
07-21-2009, 12:45 AM
Do you know why you can all sleep so soundly and securely at night?

It's because squirrels protect your homes and property while your families are asleep, that's why. Do they publicize their efforts or ask for rewards? No. Do you even appreciate what they do for you? No.

Instead, you ridicule them and abuse them in threads like this one. You should all be ashamed. :sneaky2:You did it Ken, you laid the guilts on me! :blushing: It's bad enough that I have to be constantly reminded when I ran that deer over that I'd killed Bambi! Now every time I eat a Squirrel I'll think of how Bullwinkle will miss Rocky! Every time I squeeze off a round that finds it way through the brain-pan of a "tree-rat" I'll ask myself: "Was this the one that was guarding my house last night?" :innocent: Oh well, that's enough of the maudlin stuff! Supper's ready! Squirrel stew, yum-yum!:sneaky2:

Ken
07-21-2009, 06:29 AM
Supper's ready! Squirrel stew, yum-yum!:sneaky2:

I hope you leave the house with a big piece of fur stuck right between your front teeth. :sneaky2:

Sarge47
07-21-2009, 11:30 AM
I hope you leave the house with a big piece of fur stuck right between your front teeth. :sneaky2:The jokes on you my lawyer friend...I don't HAVE any front teeth! Nyah-nyah! :online2long:

SARKY
07-21-2009, 11:56 AM
I use .020 stainless safety wire fpr my snares. you can get reels of this stuff at any auto performance shop.

edr730
07-21-2009, 08:48 PM
Squirrels: 55 gal bucket with walnuts, a ramp, a trap inside covered with something. Stop when you have enough squirrels.

Chipmunks: 5 gal bucket, 3/4 full of water, sunflower seeds floating on top, ramp. Stop when you eliminated enough chipmunks.