PDA

View Full Version : Spices

rebel
04-13-2008, 07:23 PM
I think spices are very important to survival food. I like the Morton Hot Salt. It gives a nice Zing. Then there is Bad Byron's Butt Rub - "A little Butt rub makes everything better". It's good on the grill items. Sometimes I'll make my own concoctions, a little of this and that. Grill Mates and Pleasoning are good too. Something to spice up the fried potatoes. Nothing better! What are your secrets for spices in the outdoors?

crashdive123
04-13-2008, 09:02 PM
If I'm backpacking - salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, beef and chicken cubes, maybe some butter buds or tabasco.

Tahyo
04-13-2008, 09:30 PM
salt, pepper, and always "Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning" and you don't need anything else. (well maybe some tabasco)

mbarnatl
04-13-2008, 09:55 PM
I think spices are very important to survival food. I like the Morton Hot Salt. It gives a nice Zing. Then there is Bad Byron's Butt Rub - "A little Butt rub makes everything better". It's good on the grill items. Sometimes I'll make my own concoctions, a little of this and that. Grill Mates and Pleasoning are good too. Something to spice up the fried potatoes. Nothing better! What are your secrets for spices in the outdoors?

I use all kinds of spices, at home and out in the wilderness. I like to use pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, basil, chili powder, and cinnamon. I use several types of seasoning blends like pizza, speghetti and taco also.

Here is a website I found interesting: Encyclopedia of Spices (http://www.theepicentre.com/Spices/spiceref.html)

MCBushbaby
04-13-2008, 09:56 PM
If I'm backpacking - salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, beef and chicken cubes, maybe some butter buds or tabasco.

salt, pepper, olive oil (I hear it's really good for you), Spike
Nothing beats roasted squirrel and Spike

Alpine_Sapper
04-13-2008, 10:06 PM
What are your secrets for spices in the outdoors?

Depends on the planned menu. I don't use a lot of dried herbs at home as I prefer fresh, but the dried carry better in the field. If I'm making spag. I take some dried oregano, basil, etc. Mediterranean dishes get marjoram, rosemary, etc. It all depends on what I'm doing. I have an extensive spice cabinet and herb collection.

mbarnatl
04-13-2008, 10:08 PM
salt, pepper, olive oil (I hear it's really good for you), Spike
Nothing beats roasted squirrel and Spike

Now you are the second person I know that uses olive oil for outdoor cooking. I cook all the time with olive oil. I keep a 4 oz bottle of it in my backpack.

WildGoth
04-13-2008, 10:09 PM
wow never thought of bringing spices with me and how do you make spices

crashdive123
04-13-2008, 10:12 PM
You can grow them yourself, or if you're not into that simply hit the spice aisle in your local grocery store.

rebel
04-13-2008, 10:14 PM
I'm impressed! I better get with the program and learn how to use these spices.

crashdive123
04-13-2008, 10:18 PM
Rebel - spices and seasoning are often simply a matter of personal taste. If you like garlic, use it. If you like spicier food..... Experiment and find out what you like. You never know, you might create a new sensation.

Alpine_Sapper
04-13-2008, 10:50 PM
Now you are the second person I know that uses olive oil for outdoor cooking. I cook all the time with olive oil. I keep a 4 oz bottle of it in my backpack.

lol. You mean there's another kind? Seriously, it has the best balance of flavor to health benefits that I've found. Yes, it does impart a slight flavor of olives (duh) but it's SO much healthier than say, vegetable oil. I do use canola or safflower at times, but it's rare, and only because I'm out of olive oil. I do use sesame oil or truffle oil sometimes as a finisher, but most likely the dish was initially cooked in olive oil.

dilligaf2u2
04-14-2008, 01:06 AM
TDW has a bag of spices she drags along. Some of everything she uses at home.

I take salt, pepper, garlic, bullion cubes, chili powder, Tabasco, cinnamon, olive oil and sugar. I also take baking powder, baking soda and flower.

Something bland can be made more agreeable with a bit of spice.

Don

Rick
04-14-2008, 07:35 AM
I'm with Alpine on the olive oil. I also have safflower and canola but only carry olive oil with me when I'm out. I keep vegetable oil to coat my cast iron with because it doesn't leave any tastes behind.

As for spices, I installed a small lazy susan in one cabinet just for spices. So I use them a lot at home. In the field, I usually just carry salt and pepper. Although, now that I have the dehydrator I'll probably start carrying some dehydrated fruits and vegies to flavor with.

Aurelius95
04-15-2008, 01:03 PM
Along with all those mentioned above, I use Lawry's seasoning salt with Tabasco. It's great on hamburgers/beef and adds a little zing. It also adds good flavor to homefries.

dilligaf2u2
04-16-2008, 08:02 PM
Lawry's works and so does Ms. Dash. TDW and TGF both use the heck out of Ms Dash.

I forgot to say, I take woshershire(Spelled wrong). Lawry's seasoning salt with Tabasco I need to try some time.

Dried fruit can add a sweet taste to oherwise bland foods and I have seen others add it to drinks like tea.

Don