PDA

View Full Version : Fire steel

rebel
04-13-2008, 06:50 PM
I recently picked up a fire steel to check out. O.K. I was impressed! I was down at the shed looking for something to try this thing out on when I found an old mouse nest. A few strikes to get the hang and wow - a flame! It's kind of cool when you get something that actually works as described.

No doubt it's old news to most of you guys. A question. Is the Mayan dust just fat lighter saw dust?

Rick
04-13-2008, 07:18 PM
I hope the shed is still standing...

Maya dust is made from fatwood. It's just small shavings of it. Most of the fatwood is Pino de Ocote or Ocote Pine, which is grown in Guatemala and Mexico.

crashdive123
04-13-2008, 07:20 PM
Have never used the Mayan dust, so not sure. If you'd like some cheap tinder, go no furter than your dryer. Get a spark from your new fire steel onto a ball of dryer lint.......instant flame.

rebel
04-13-2008, 07:31 PM
Yea, the shed is there!

Thanks for the dryer lent suggestion. If I come across another lighter stump I want to get some and make sawdust to see how that goes. Why buy it if you can make it and learn?

JRJ
04-13-2008, 09:51 PM
Extra fine steel wool works too, make sure not to huff the smoke from it.

-JRJ

Rick
04-14-2008, 08:27 AM
I quick twist on the dryer lint for survival. Most probably know this. Use the lint inside your pants pockets or use your knife to scrape fibers from your pants and use that as tinder if you have nothing else to use. Cotton, of course, works better than wool.

RangerXanatos
04-14-2008, 04:12 PM
Since cotton burns pretty fast, satuate it with Petroleum Jelly. It will make it last a whole lots longer. I edc flint and steel, so once and a while I try out new things. As a learning expereice, the next time you're outside, see what natural stuff in your area you can get to light. You will find some stuff ignite a whole lots easier than others. Of natural materials, I've gotten straw, several different types of fuzzy weeds like dandelions and horseweed, and ceder bark.

Ridge Wolf
04-14-2008, 04:24 PM
Yep... I carry a small snap lid bottle of cotton balls saturated with petroleum jelly. works with a match... I haven't tried it with flint and steel.

Also, scrape your socks for lint.

Rick
04-14-2008, 04:51 PM
But please do it before day three. You get funkies off your socks after the third day.

Ridge Wolf
04-14-2008, 04:56 PM
But please do it before day three. You get funkies off your socks after the third day.

They burn hot!! :D

Rick
04-14-2008, 08:17 PM
Funky BTUs. I'd never thought of that. Cool!

Aqualitemperor
04-15-2008, 04:31 PM
Use a steel wool with a 9 v battery it works every time.

Rick
04-15-2008, 04:53 PM
Or a mini maglite and some snare wire with that steel wool.