PDA

View Full Version : Would you eat it?

crashdive123
04-13-2008, 01:11 PM
Growing meat in a test tube. There just seems to be something wrong with that.

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2008/04/invitro_meat

Rick
04-13-2008, 01:17 PM
Wow! That's crazy but I guess with the population growth and a greater demand by a growing world wide middle class that can now (or soon) afford it, we probably need to start thinking out of the box. I would hope that would be one way to rid meat of antibiotics and growth hormones.

Tahyo
04-13-2008, 01:20 PM
I agree there just seems to be something wrong with that, but I'd have to wait and see what it's all about, what it taste like etc. There's so many things in my life time that I said I'd never eat and now I eat some of it like there was no tomorrow. (except cottage cheese).

add: I swore I'd never drink soymilk and now I drink it all the time.

BraggSurvivor
04-13-2008, 02:46 PM
No thanks, I'll grow my own. :eek:

wildWoman
04-13-2008, 03:18 PM
I'll pass on that...Margaret Atwood's book "Oryx and Crake" has a scenario in it where they're growing "Chicken McNubbins" in the lab, a goose-pimply DNA creation that consists mostly of four drumsicks to a "unit". Sounds a bit like it.

Wanderer
04-13-2008, 04:58 PM
Not a hope in H_ll! Sounds too much like Soylent Green...
If you like that, google 'Quorn', available in the US and UK...edible slim mould, yech!
Alex

Riverrat
04-13-2008, 05:38 PM
Nope just can't see me eating it.....it just does not seem right.

Rick
04-13-2008, 05:45 PM
Wait a minute. Let me get this straight. You'd have no trouble eating pizza the next morning even though you have no idea (memory) where it came from or how old it is for that matter. You'd even drink that warm beer with the cigarette butt in it and hope that's all there was in the beer. But you'd draw the line when it comes to fake meat? What a bunch of Nancy boys.

crashdive123
04-13-2008, 05:47 PM
All right, all right. You talked me into it. "Hey Mack - how 'bout frying me up one of them there tumors.......I mean steaks."

Rick
04-13-2008, 05:51 PM
This is another one that's gonna take some marketing pizzaz. Almost Meat in a Vat, won't do it. Maybe ... Sweet Baby Ray's Cloned Pork Alike.

mbarnatl
04-13-2008, 08:11 PM
Here is an interesting video about would you eat it:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icHMAwhkURs. It talks about food mainly what the west calls taboo.

Sam
04-14-2008, 01:13 AM
All right, all right. You talked me into it. "Hey Mack - how 'bout frying me up one of them there tumors.......I mean steaks."

Ummmmm.............. tumors, I'll take seconds.:D

Rick
04-14-2008, 07:28 AM
I have to admit, I've watched Andrew Zimmern chow down on some stuff on Bizarre Foods that just made me cringe. I think I'd choose starving to death over some of the stuff he eats.