PDA

View Full Version : Another silly survival scenario, part 1.

Sarge47
07-10-2014, 09:25 PM
While watching "The Flight of the Phoenix" I see James Stewart as the pilot and leader of the group making hard, unpopular decisions for the good of the group, including confiscating a passenger's transistor radio to monitor broadcasts regarding potential rescue efforts on their behalf. This got me to thinking, so here's the scenario, like the movie you're the leader of a group of stranded passengers lost in a desert. Water is desperately needed and you can't help but notice a nice loaded BOB complete with a full 3 liter water bladder. Unfortunately it's the private property of one of the passengers. Which do you do?

1.) Leave it alone, it's not yours.
2.) Plead with the person to donate it to the group.
3.) No matter what you take it to keep as many of the group alive as possible.

Give your reasoning for your decision, thank you....:cowboy:

Farley
07-10-2014, 10:00 PM
I guess I would take #2

Since 3 liters of water for a "group" doesn't do diddly in a desert, having "some" to share will be a moral booster. Which to me, is best for the group.

hunter63
07-11-2014, 12:44 PM
I would have to agree.....unless that well loaded BOB contains a Glock 40 S&W, then he makes the rules.......Maybe a nice guy?

What did they do in the movie?

Sarge47
07-11-2014, 01:19 PM
I would have to agree.....unless that well loaded BOB contains a Glock 40 S&W, then he makes the rules.......Maybe a nice guy?

What did they do in the movie?Took a radio and threatened the life of anybody caught stealing water....which is exactly what I would have done. The needs of the group outweigh the needs of the one. 3 Liters of water might seem like a pittance but can extend the life of the group a day and quite possibly raise morale a bit as well. A day can make a difference. Rescue might show up, or you might need that time to complete plans for self rescue, as was in the case in the movie. There might be edibles in the bag as well. In a group survival situation EVERYTHING becomes community property....Of course, Hunter, if there is a Glock in the bag, trying to take it might be a bit dicey!...:sweatingbullets:

welderguy
07-11-2014, 01:50 PM
my thinking would be option 2, because a well stocked BOB may contained a well loaded firearm and option 3 could result in a bad situation!!!

LowKey
07-11-2014, 07:46 PM
So Sarge...
There's been a community disaster and FEMA comes knocking at your door to donate your emergency food supply for the good of the community.
Still there with the give it up for the group?

Sarge47
07-11-2014, 09:09 PM
So Sarge...
There's been a community disaster and FEMA comes knocking at your door to donate your emergency food supply for the good of the community.
Still there with the give it up for the group?

And what food supply would you be referring to?...:2:

welderguy
07-11-2014, 10:40 PM
And what food supply would you be referring to?...:2:

all them cans of cranberry sauce, and fruit cakes you have stored away

Rick
07-11-2014, 11:50 PM
Besides FEMA works with the NSA. They monitor Sarge's food purchases through his Kroger Plus card just in case he's stocking up food for Al Kinda. That's a local magician radical group. They are good at tricks but lousy at spelling. Anyway, they know Sarge has over 1000 cans of cranberry sauce. Their goal in an emergency would be to get to him before he can make all those cans disappear.

crashdive123
07-12-2014, 06:30 AM
Besides FEMA works with the NSA. They monitor Sarge's food purchases through his Kroger Plus card just in case he's stocking up food for Al Kinda. That's a local magician radical group. They are good at tricks but lousy at spelling. Anyway, they know Sarge has over 1000 cans of cranberry sauce. Their goal in an emergency would be to get to him before he can make all those cans disappear.

Sooooooooooo - what you are saying is that Sarge is good at turning tricks?:whistling:

Sarge47
07-12-2014, 08:59 AM
So here's the thing, we're talking about a survival scenario that the movie was about. Crashed plane in the Sahara desert,(to leave is certain death) hundreds of miles away from any help, plenty of food in the form of pressed dates, very little water. BOB boy is eating community food and using the community shelter. I would give him a choice, give his BOB up for the community or beat feet since he wants to be a "rugged individualist." Can't have it both ways....:yes:

crashdive123
07-12-2014, 09:23 AM
If I am truly the leader of the group I will listen to all input, but I'm not asking or suggesting when I speak. I will pool all resources for the good of the team. Again, not a suggestion or an option for a different outcome.

Lamewolf
07-12-2014, 11:17 AM
Why should one person have to give up his stuff because he was the only one smart enough to come prepared ?

Batch
07-12-2014, 11:19 AM
I don't have a problem with someone being given the choice to either join the group and pool resources or leave the group. What if you are the guy with the water? What would you do?

If you stay with the group and conceal the water and someone dies and they find out you had water. Well, things could get dicey for you right there.

Lamewolf
07-12-2014, 12:25 PM
I don't have a problem with someone being given the choice to either join the group and pool resources or leave the group. What if you are the guy with the water? What would you do?

If you stay with the group and conceal the water and someone dies and they find out you had water. Well, things could get dicey for you right there.

Still, it would not be right for things to get "dicey" for me because I came prepared and 3 liters of water is not going to save an entire group. It might make sure that they all die about the same time if they divide the water, but its not going to save them all. Same scenario would be a SHTF event and folks come and loot you home because you were prepared and they weren't, they have the same opportunity to prepare as you do and its not your fault they didn't ! Its everyone's responsibility to prepare for themselves and not depend on someone else to do it for them. Just look at the huge welfare society we have today. I don't have a problem helping someone out if they can't help themselves, but there is just a huge move toward folks not wanting to take responsibility for themselves then depending on everyone else to pay their bills and feed their family.

crashdive123
07-12-2014, 02:50 PM
This is precisely why I said "If I am truly in charge". Maybe it's my military training, but during a casualty - when I announced that I was in charge - that was it. It wasn't a debating society. It wasn't a democracy. If I am in charge I will be making life and death decisions that affect everybody - period.

Lamewolf
07-12-2014, 03:44 PM
I guess if there was a SHTF situation, someone might come and kill me and take my stuff but then they become a target for the same thing and you have a domino effect going on. I just have a huge problem with folks thinking they have the right to take my stuff when they didn't have enough brains to prepare for themselves !

hunter63
07-12-2014, 04:31 PM
Getting back to the OP...what you do inyour neighborhood really doesn't apply here.....Why would the pilot assume he is still in charge?

Things didn't work out so well so far, "Well I crashed the plane, and now I'm gonna decide how the rest of this plays out".....so why follow him?

crashdive123
07-12-2014, 05:48 PM
I guess if there was a SHTF situation, someone might come and kill me and take my stuff but then they become a target for the same thing and you have a domino effect going on. I just have a huge problem with folks thinking they have the right to take my stuff when they didn't have enough brains to prepare for themselves !

Getting back to the OP...what you do inyour neighborhood really doesn't apply here.....Why would the pilot assume he is still in charge?

Things didn't work out so well so far, "Well I crashed the plane, and now I'm gonna decide how the rest of this plays out".....so why follow him?

Just operating off the facts that were given in the OP. Again, that's why I put the caveat "If I am truly in charge" in my comments.

hunter63
07-12-2014, 06:33 PM
Yeah, I hear ya........just curious.....just seems theat are some tha assume they are the leader.

Was at a management seminar, everyone was in some sort of a leadership role that attended.
Shop foreman to VP's

WEre devided into groups, and were asked to elect a leader and solve problems........
Turns out just the selection of the group leader was part of the drill.

Guy that was a bank VP just assumed he out ranked everyone in the group, and tried to elect himself.

Ended up being a grunt....not the leader after an election.

Note, no one in the group knew each other before the drill.......was interesting.

So when I see or hear about a scenario like the presented movie.........always make me wonder how a real leader is chosen.
Being military the role is mostly clear....maybe not so much in a civilian group?

Remember you have to sleep sometime.

LowKey
07-12-2014, 07:42 PM
If there is a sharing of food and shelter, there is a sharing of water.
Rather than arguing about it, perhaps getting that solar still up and running is a better idea, before that water runs out?

I once participated in a survival discussion back in high school psych class. The teacher gave us rolls to play. The scenario was a nuclear bomb was headed our way. There is a shelter. Shelter capacity is 20 people. There were 22 students. Who gets left outside? Time limit 20 minutes.
Guess what? None of us made it inside. We were all still outside arguing. No one stepped up to lead. No one even got out the straws.

Sarge47
07-12-2014, 07:44 PM
I sorta figured that some of the members on here would identify with the owner of the BOB. Why is the pilot in charge? 'Cuz it's HIS plane. Also, in the film he had a co-pilot, a British military captain along with his Sargent, and a doctor in his corner. Yes, he slept, and when he did his co-pilot had his back. The other passengers were not outdoors people, but oil rig workers headed home. They didn't think that a sandstorm would crash the plane. The Sargent was pretty useless and refused to do much. But the Captain did have a .45 revolver. The bad guy, however, was NOT the leader, but a German guy who wound up saving their butts. Really good film and I think most of you would enjoy it. One thing that stood out, when the guy who saved them told them what they would have to do James Stewart goes ballistic. It is the doctor who says that the passengers need something to occupy their minds. Being pro-active I guess. And 3 liters of extra water WOULD have made a difference since they were on a "time frame" and after that, if they failed, they'd die anyway...:scared: Oh, and if you leave with only 3 liters of water in the heat of the blazing Sahara sun you'll be dead before days end. It was several hundred miles to civilization and compasses were out of the question, even though they had one. The captain and another guy sets off to try and make the trip carrying some of their water followed by another character played by the late Earnest Borgnine. The Captain is the only one who makes it back...barely. Anyway, I like what Crash says, IF he's the one in charge then that's how it's going to be!Myself? Don't like my decisions then get off my airplane! It would be no time for rugged individualism...:scared:

Sarge47
07-12-2014, 07:47 PM
If there is a sharing of food and shelter, there is a sharing of water.
Rather than arguing about it, perhaps getting that solar still up and running is a better idea, before that water runs out?

I once participated in a survival discussion back in high school psych class. The teacher gave us rolls to play. The scenario was a nuclear bomb was headed our way. There is a shelter. Shelter capacity is 20 people. There were 22 students. Who gets left outside? Time limit 20 minutes.
Guess what? None of us made it inside. We were all still outside arguing. No one stepped up to lead. No one even got out the straws.Yes, they did put up a solar still and rationed the water. In my scenario I'd put the BOB dude in charge of the water. He seems to know his stuff and can be an asset...:yes:

DTRobers
07-25-2015, 12:48 PM
As far as electing a leader, if either Cody Lund or Les Stroud are on board they get my vote. If Bear Gryllis is there HE'S the one we send across the desert, up the mountain, across the glacier and through the swamp to get help.