PDA

View Full Version : I'm going camping.

ATough
07-17-2007, 02:03 PM
I'm going camping for the first time does anybody have any pointers or tips?:)

Sarge47
07-17-2007, 05:27 PM
I'm going camping for the first time does anybody have any pointers or tips?:)

Yeah, stay out of the fire! ;>) Actually you needed to study before you go. the older copies of the Boy Scout Handbook are great if you can find one.

mbarnatl
07-17-2007, 06:47 PM
Where are you going camping? What state?

Older versions of Boy Scout Handbook can be found on ebay. I got a Tenth edition for $5 in great condition.

ATough
07-17-2007, 07:38 PM
where going to table rock NC.

but my youth leader said we would be hiking The Appalachian Trail, which is in conneticut.

ATough
07-17-2007, 07:39 PM
Yeah, stay out of the fire!

very clever *writes tip down on notepad.* J/K

Tony uk
07-18-2007, 03:27 PM
Read up on your survival books :)

ATough
07-18-2007, 03:34 PM
Ive been doing that alot. lol

are there ways of making hiking easier.

Tony uk
07-18-2007, 03:42 PM
What do you mean, easier ?

ATough
07-18-2007, 05:08 PM
things that wont get you hurt ways to keep from spraining you ankles stuff like that.

Tony uk
07-18-2007, 05:19 PM
Walk slowly and take regular breaks and check where your standing for anyholes or stuff like that

ATough
07-18-2007, 05:21 PM
Walk slowly and take regular breaks and check where your standing for anyholes or stuff like that

okay, I've never done this before so I'm just asking things to be safe.:D

Tony uk
07-18-2007, 05:24 PM
You could ask someone who has been camping lots of times before to come along aswell

Sarge47
07-18-2007, 05:36 PM
okay, I've never done this before so I'm just asking things to be safe.:D

Survivorman, how old are you, if I may ask. You sound like someone in their teens, and if not, I'm not meaning to offend, but you should really go with more experienced people regardless of your age, however, if you're under 18 please tell me that there is an experienced adult going with you! Also you need a good pair of "BROKEN-IN" hiking boots. Wearing brand new ones on a long trip 1st time out of the box is asking for blisters....&trouble.

Tony uk
07-18-2007, 05:40 PM
I did that on my current pair, i bought them the day before we left and i put them on straight out the box, PAINFULL :(

ATough
07-18-2007, 06:14 PM
Survivorman, how old are you, if I may ask. You sound like someone in their teens, and if not, I'm not meaning to offend, but you should really go with more experienced people regardless of your age, however, if you're under 18 please tell me that there is an experienced adult going with you! Also you need a good pair of "BROKEN-IN" hiking boots. Wearing brand new ones on a long trip 1st time out of the box is asking for blisters....&trouble.

I am in my teens and my youth pastor is taking me and my freinds, he is a very expeirenced camper, and I bought a pair of hiking boots a few months ago and have been wearing them all the time to break them in ans a matter of fact I have been wearing them everyday for the past week.

Sarge47
07-18-2007, 06:25 PM
I am in my teens and my youth pastor is taking me and my freinds, he is a very expeirenced camper, and I bought a pair of hiking boots a few months ago and have been wearing them all the time to break them in ans a matter of fact I have been wearing them everyday for the past week.

Great! Glad to hear it! Don't forget to load up on about 6-12 pairs of dry, cushion-soled socks. change them as soon as you notice your feet getting sweaty! Ask you youth pastor for advice on this just to make sure, and whatever you do, don't forget the moleskin! Pick up some Dr. Scholl's at your local wal-mart or Walgreens in the footcare section.

ATough
07-18-2007, 06:29 PM
I will thanks.

mbarnatl
07-18-2007, 07:38 PM

but my youth leader said we would be hiking The Appalachian Trail, which is in conneticut.

NC has 88 miles of the Appalachian Trail.

Not to scare you...watch out for bears. "Bear Attacks on the Rise in North and South Carolina (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/258309/bear_attacks_on_the_rise_in_north_and.html)" article.

ATough
07-18-2007, 07:42 PM
NC has 88 miles of the Appalachian Trail.

Not to scare you...watch out for bears. "Bear Attacks on the Rise in North and South Carolina (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/258309/bear_attacks_on_the_rise_in_north_and.html)" article.

I am now scared. lol.

so it is in NC thanks.

mbarnatl
07-18-2007, 07:58 PM
Take a camera with you. You should get some good shots of nature. I always take a camera with me when I go on hikes/camping. Never know what you are going to see... bears, sunsets, copperheads ... birds. ;)

ATough
07-18-2007, 08:15 PM
bears.

you had to mention those. LOL

FVR
07-18-2007, 10:56 PM
You just need to understand that there may be bears present and hang food, don't leave out food, take care of your trash.

Seems that there are alot of bear happenings in areas where there are people, easy food, and trash.

Most bears don't want to be around humans. Take some bear spray and don't be scared to yell and scream if you see one.

We have them across the street, I've seen much sign but never a bear. Now, I do have a friend who during turkey season was being circled by a bear, he made the right decision and got out of Dodge, fast.

ATough
07-19-2007, 08:55 PM
anything else guys?

and thanks for everything so far.

Sarge47
07-19-2007, 09:17 PM
anything else guys?

and thanks for everything so far.

Did you ever get that older copy of the Boy Scout Handbook? The older ones were more into Scouts & the outdoors where the more modern ones are focused more on urban stuff. I got a Boy Scout Handbook,(circa 1935) & two Boy Scout Field books (one was published in the mid-60's, the other in the mid 80's) off of e-bay for a decent price, not to mention a Hugh McManners, "Backpacker's Handbook" which came with one of the Field books. The Field books, btw, have a lot of cool stuff inside, including things you can make.

ATough
07-19-2007, 10:12 PM
Did you ever get that older copy of the Boy Scout Handbook? The older ones were more into Scouts & the outdoors where the more modern ones are focused more on urban stuff. I got a Boy Scout Handbook,(circa 1935) & two Boy Scout Field books (one was published in the mid-60's, the other in the mid 80's) off of e-bay for a decent price, not to mention a Hugh McManners, "Backpacker's Handbook" which came with one of the Field books. The Field books, btw, have a lot of cool stuff inside, including things you can make.
I would have but I dont have any spare money I just bought my backpack today.

FVR
07-19-2007, 11:01 PM
If you will be sleeping on the ground, clear out a space and then bring in pine needles or pine branches for comfort.

Take extra socks in a ziplock, powder, and bandaides. Take care of those feet.

Throw some t bags in your pocket. Nothing like a hot cup of tea in the morning when the birds start chirping and the critters are moving out.

Take some tp, the good stuff as you don't have to use so much.

If you start to pull a muscle, don't take any pain pills. You'll just hide the pain and make it worse. Keep the IB for nightime and don't forget to stretch.

Last but not least, take a good book.

ATough
07-19-2007, 11:19 PM
If you start to pull a muscle, don't take any pain pills. You'll just hide the pain and make it worse. Keep the IB for nightime.

I didnt know that wow.

trax
07-20-2007, 01:06 PM
Survivorman,

Watch for trees that aren't moving normally, ie with the wind or in time with the wind, bears love using them for scratching and sharpening posts. Smell the air! Bears leave a mighty odor.Don't throw food packaging in a campfire, the smell carries a long long way and bears...smack their lips and come looking. Most confrontations where humans have been injured by bears were because the bear was startled, accidentally, nevertheless....this is important, they are NOT afraid of humans. If there are bears around, usually making extra noise warns them off and they'll leave you alone.
Hiking, be aware of the trail around you, take plenty of water, and most of all enjoy yourself. We always get to read of the isolated horror stories of things that go wrong on camping and hiking trips, a little common sense will usually prevent those. Very few news articles on the thousands and thousands of hiking and camping stories where people just went out there and had a really good time.

ATough
07-20-2007, 01:19 PM
thanks everyone.

Sarge47
07-20-2007, 02:24 PM
thanks everyone.

One final word, no snacks or food inside your tent at night, and that goes for any tentmates. Check pockets, packs, etc. Also, if you take your pack in your tent, pull every thing out of the side pockets and leave them unzipped as sometimes small varmits like chipmunks are known to chew right through the fabric to get at what's inside.

trax
07-20-2007, 02:45 PM
More on the pulled muscles, keep them moving as much possible, it might hurt, but it's going to hurt a lot more if you don't. Any clothes, boots, etc you take off at night, check & shake before putting back on in the morning. It's amazing the places mice like to curl up. Oh yeah, the tp advice is probably the best advice you've had so far.

ATough
07-20-2007, 06:13 PM
I never knew to take the food out of your pack at night.

ATough
07-20-2007, 06:16 PM
how do I prevet unwanted qeust in the camp site?

ATough
07-24-2007, 06:44 PM
well I'll be leaving tomorrow, wish me luck.

ATough
07-28-2007, 09:02 PM
I got back from camping yesterday. my trip was so much fun, I hiked up a mauntan went swimming in a lake and sat under a water fall. I am so hooked.

trax
07-30-2007, 05:26 PM
congratulations survivorman, glad you had a good time.

ATough
07-30-2007, 05:34 PM
thanks. it was the most fun I have ever had in my life.

trax
07-31-2007, 11:36 AM
You didn't get the finger that types m's and n's bitten off out there did you? :D :D

Couldn't resist

Go Wolfpack

ATough
07-31-2007, 04:07 PM
thanks my batterys where almost dead on my keybourd.

Fog_Harbor
07-31-2007, 04:47 PM

Actually, the Appalachian Trail runs from Georgia up through New York State.

Wear a pair of hiking boots that fit, and bring extra socks, preferably wool. Hiking boots will support your ankles better than most boots, and are usually waterproof.

Never touch the inside of your tent - it will cause it to leak.

Remember, everything you pack - you carry, so don't pack things you'll likely never use.

Pack food you like, not things you've never eaten before - you'll be happier.

Be sure your sleeping bag is rated for the weather, one rated too warm will be as miserable as one rated too thin.

Did I mention extra socks! Take care of your feet.

Plenty of water.

And extra socks.

And more water.

Fog_Harbor
07-31-2007, 04:50 PM
Should have read all the posts - glad you had fun!

ATough
07-31-2007, 05:22 PM
thanks but I already went camping it was so much fun.

my freind was being stupid and he started rubing his tent and it started leaking so bad. lol