PDA

View Full Version : Bug out drill...Reprint.

hunter63
06-19-2014, 12:30 PM
Couldn't find the original, but when questions show up on bug outs...I like to throw this out.....
Reprint

March 20 8:30 A.M.
DW and I sitting around the house, both of us in between gig's right now, decided to bug out to the cabin (BOL, bug out location).
Been closed down for the winter, condition unknown.

Loaded into BOV (truck)
BOB bags, both of us, always packed, along with fresh foods (from frig/freezer).

Canned goods, staples (flour, sugar, pepper, salt, rice, beans etc), always packed in plastic mike crates (2).

Housewares, cooking oil, paper products, alum foil, T.P., paper towels, spatula, tongs, hot pads, dish soap/towels/Brillo pads etc. Packed into plastic closable shipping container.

Bottled water, soda, beer into cooler.

On road @ 9:15, tank full (try to keep it this way).
Everything pre-packed, leave time 45 min.

4 hour drive, note route, detours, fuel stops.
3/4 tank will make it all the way, baring, short tank and above reasons.

Lunch on the way, snacks/bottles water.

Arrived, found everything intact, no break-ins, squatters, power on. (checked microwave clock, if blinking power had been out for a time).
Unloaded.

Started (several tries) Gen-set,7500 watt, 6 gal tank filled/stabilized last fall, shut down grid power, wired to breaker box. Thought I would burn off old fuel and test lighting need, fuel consumption.
Pump, one light circuit down stairs w/frig, one circuit for loft.

Checked shed, tried starting tractor, 4-wheeler.
Checked fuel storage, 18 gal gas, 8 gal diesel.
Figured 18 gal would get me home with some to spare for running equipment.

Weather report, snow storm coming, so drove tractor to top of driveway for plowing if necessary.

Checked other caches, found everything intact.
Checked candle lanterns, gas lantern, propane, everything a go.
Wood pile good to go for a couple of weeks.

Goals; pack a go in the fastest time, with out panic, and not forgetting a lot of stuff. Prepping does help.

Notes to self:
redo wiring for gen-set so as to not have to wire in, add switch.

Check into "farmer tank"for fuel. Presently, fuel storage maybe/will be short if a SHTF scenario makes it hard to fill up.
Conclude day one.

hunter63
06-19-2014, 12:32 PM
Part two...
Reprint.
Day2
Woke up to 8" snow, windy from northeast, drifting.
Snow on porch, didn't have the snow shovel ready (down in shed), used old antique coal shovel, wall decoration, to shovel.

Used tractor to plow driveway and parking area, need practice on plowing.
Does well in 4-wheel drive in 6 in snow, no chains, up hill.

Burning dead elms rounds (approx 8") each burns about 2 hrs in stove, been keeping cabin comfy.
Brought up more wood from remote pile locations.

Took walk, (patrolled AO), noted several types of tracks.
Could have shot deer and rabbits if necessary.(out of season)
Still snowing.

DW baked bread in propane oven, supplies from preps.
Note; Need grain mill
Checked with neighbors, local news, paid guy for plowing during winter, Checked plans for spring crops.

Good to know who and what your neighbors are, mine are like minded, and protective of their property and watch ours.

Day 3
Still snowing lightly, plowed again, better this time. (still need more practice)
Shut down Gen set, back on grid, fired up water heater, base board heaters.

Changed oil in Gen set, refueled, used approx 6 gal 2-1/2 days.

Day 4 Sunday
DW prepared canned ham / sweet potatoes dinner.

So far no trips to town, but after 3 days, fresh milk, bread, eggs, greens, candles, and of all things T.P. short supply.
Did find some rose hips for tea, for vitamin "C"

So lessons learned are:

3 days is a easily prepared for time, starts getting short on some supplies as noted.
After a week, thing start getting really in short supply.

After 11 days, ready to head out for home. Need to have your head in it as well as everyone with you.

Will adjust preps, adding more powdered eggs/milk, flour(grain), yeast, baking powder, salt, sugar, dried veggies etc.
Add more sweets, (had craving for sweets?)

Wood pile holding up well, but if stove in continuous use, would need to triple (maybe more) cut wood supply, for all winter use.

More candles for candle lanterns, oil and propane lantern still plenty fuel.

As noted more fuel and oil for gen-set if running longer than three days.

Need grain mill, used almost all flour for bread and pie crusts, but no bugs.
Had bugs in stored dog food, still sealed in bag from last fall? ( Have added grain mill)
Look in to sprouting, dried veggies.
DW and I do get along pretty well with out outside influences, but need more books to read.

Beer is good, but whiskey is easier to carry.

Contact with neighbors was welcomed as news/entertainment is in short supply.

Day 5
To town resupply laundry and lunch.

Returned home after 11 days with the one resupply.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?8267-Follow-up-on-Bug-Out-Drill-last-March&highlight=march+drill

Solar Geek
06-19-2014, 07:13 PM
Loved this! Now that we live at our BOL we no longer have to do all of that but it is a great reminder on each point. Thanks for posting.

hunter63
06-19-2014, 07:43 PM
Loved this! Now that we live at our BOL we no longer have to do all of that but it is a great reminder on each point. Thanks for posting.

Congrats, how has it been so far?.....Did the need to get stuff done before you had to go back settled down yet.....?

Solar Geek
06-20-2014, 11:27 AM
Congrats, how has it been so far?.....Did the need to get stuff done before you had to go back settled down yet.....?

Hunter, the need to GET STUFF DONE increased!!!! DH works in Milwaukee 3 days - 2 nights/week so most everything other than the pond maintenance falls on me which is fine but makes me 'run in place'. I think the sheer size of the cleared space (8 acres of 50 acres) just is bit intimidating to me, a former city girl.

Huge garden -- 39 beds at 10' long by 3'-5' wide. So I planted 100 tomatoes! Never thought my 2010 seeds would ALL germinate! Using beds of useless dirt topped with good dirt topped with 24" straw topped with 4" compost. Very interesting gardening this way. Was truly a leap of faith but seems to be working out.

Orchard started last year but lost 4 peach trees; not sure of the other 6 plums, apples. Added 8 more this year, pears, apples and more plums.

Watering until the recent DELUGEs has been the biggest work in progress. Trying to run the hoses 700' to orchard worked, but we failed to buy enough to not always have to disconnect some, haul them back and then use in the main closer-in garden. Rectified that error this week so hope the hauling of really heavy hoses is over.

Re preps, the house has tons TONS of storage so things are put up, stored and inventoried! So much easier than only being her 3-4 days/week and commuting 40,000 miles/year to get here and back to Chicago.
Ok probably more than you wanted to know.....
SG

crashdive123
06-20-2014, 12:20 PM
SG - have you looked into putting a well near the orchard?

hunter63
06-20-2014, 07:38 PM
Hunter, the need to GET STUFF DONE increased!!!! DH works in Milwaukee 3 days - 2 nights/week so most everything other than the pond maintenance falls on me which is fine but makes me 'run in place'. I think the sheer size of the cleared space (8 acres of 50 acres) just is bit intimidating to me, a former city girl.

Huge garden -- 39 beds at 10' long by 3'-5' wide. So I planted 100 tomatoes! Never thought my 2010 seeds would ALL germinate! Using beds of useless dirt topped with good dirt topped with 24" straw topped with 4" compost. Very interesting gardening this way. Was truly a leap of faith but seems to be working out.

Orchard started last year but lost 4 peach trees; not sure of the other 6 plums, apples. Added 8 more this year, pears, apples and more plums.

Watering until the recent DELUGEs has been the biggest work in progress. Trying to run the hoses 700' to orchard worked, but we failed to buy enough to not always have to disconnect some, haul them back and then use in the main closer-in garden. Rectified that error this week so hope the hauling of really heavy hoses is over.

Re preps, the house has tons TONS of storage so things are put up, stored and inventoried! So much easier than only being her 3-4 days/week and commuting 40,000 miles/year to get here and back to Chicago.
Ok probably more than you wanted to know.....
SG

SG, These are the kind of post that need to be posted.....Unless you are doping it, you have no clue on how much work, delays, waiting, money, did I mention delays?....That goes into an operational Homestead.

So yeah hang in there....and start a thread of the SG Place.
Very cool.

We left The Place this morning, back in the city for a few days...then back out again,....Window guy postponed from this week till next Tuesday.
Kickapoo River is over it's banks in a couple of places....not my lower field yet....but more rain on the way.

Yeah it's always something.........so yeah post away....Takes more that the Best Knife.......LOL