PDA

View Full Version : Naked & Afraid Casting

Chris
06-16-2014, 12:58 PM
Hi!

My name is Dan Tino and I am an LA-based casting executive for Metal Flowers Media currently looking for candidates to appear in the new season of Discovery\'s Naked and Afraid: http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/naked-and-afraid/about-the-show/about-the-show.htm

I came across your website and was hoping you could help me reach out to your members by forwarding my email or including our info in your newsletter. Anyone interested can contact me directly. E-mail is always the fastest way to reach me.

We are looking for the best of the best so this is absolutely meant for the instructors too!

I\'m happy to speak with you further if you have any questions regarding the matter. Please note my number below. I appreciate your time and thank you so much in advance for your help!

Best,

--
Dan Tino
Casting Producer
Metal Flowers Media, LLC
Stop and smell the reality.
---------------------------------------
Web// www.metalflowersmedia.com (http://www.metalflowersmedia.com/)
Mobile// 323.391.3078
FB// facebook.com/metalflowersmedia
Twitter// @metalflowers
dan@metalflowersmedia.com

go forth and be famous. I'd ask you to wear a Wilderness-Survival.net T-Shirt on the show...but well... so who is up for a tattoo?

welderguy
06-16-2014, 01:01 PM
That depends how big of a tattoo and exactly where will it have to be placed?

hunter63
06-16-2014, 01:25 PM
You know, I haven't got past the sleeping naked part.....even in my house,.... with even temperature,.... for any longer than about an hour....
Try it....that's tough.
Running around naked isn't so bad...... but people laugh.....so I have some work to do.

welderguy
06-16-2014, 01:30 PM
You know, I haven't got past the sleeping naked part.....even in my house,.... with even temperature,.... for any longer than about an hour....
Try it....that's tough.
Running around naked isn't so bad...... but people laugh.....so I have some work to do.

And dont forget that there is a 99% chance Ruth wont be there !!

hunter63
06-16-2014, 01:32 PM
Yeah, well there is ...Thaaaat.....

Sarge47
06-16-2014, 02:53 PM
If I were to appear on their show naked EVERYBODY would be afraid...including the camera crew!...:crying:

Maybe we could interest them in F.A.R.T. Dynasty, hmmm?

Sarge47
06-16-2014, 03:00 PM
Let's see, Cody Lundin probably wouldn't do it...the only thing he shows naked are his feet! Bear Grylls might, he likes to do push ups in the snow naked, but I don't think he'd be afraid unless the female was really, really ugly! Ken couldn't do it because of his size, they can't keep the camera that low. Rick might do it if they let him wear a hong but then they wouldn't be able to handle all the hate mail....:crying:

Adventure Wolf
06-16-2014, 10:17 PM
I would never do this kind of show. I'm not comfortable in front of the camera with everything I have hanging out. I would feel embarrassed.

Tokwan
06-16-2014, 10:20 PM
I wouldn't even be in front of a camera even if I am fully dressed.....! I am too shy...that is why the jungle is my retreat.

Jonesy
06-30-2014, 12:13 AM
I get a crap knife and a pos fire starter but somehow I forgot my clothes... I don't get the show

crashdive123
06-30-2014, 06:42 AM
The premise of the show is interesting. The naked part is merely (IMO) to place the people in a more vulnerable situation so that their attention (or lack of) is focused on basic needs.

hunter63
06-30-2014, 09:01 AM
Just reading many of the "gonna go live off the land" threads.....all seem to turn into a gear fest.....till things like pencil sharpeners are included to make shavings.

So here ya go, put your butte on the line, or a couple of buttes on the line.....and truly you can ONLY HAVE ONE ITEM, Choose wisely.

Make more sense to me than Bear running all over the mountains, or Les failing on many of his trials,........

(It's TV folks)

Tokwan
06-30-2014, 08:55 PM
Someone told me Ruth is gonna be in it!

hunter63
06-30-2014, 08:58 PM
.....Not so far....?

Sarge47
07-01-2014, 06:18 AM
It's bad enough that a lot of these "survival" shows take experienced people with lots of "survival" savvy and stick them in some 3rd world country that most of us will never go to and show them getting through it with a lot of "behind the camera" people there to bail them out when/if the going gets rough. So when they take away the clothes but give them one piece of equipment that's just plain silly. "Hey, I forgot my underwear, but I got my fire-starter...or knife!" All the people used are fairly young, buffed, and experienced in some way. Really? And you expect me to take this show seriously? Next you're going to try to sell me a cheap watch for mucho dinero, right? One of these days Discovery is gonna figure out how to do it right....I hope....:cool2:

Grizz123
07-01-2014, 07:16 AM
I found it interesting that the majority of the guys were whiners and mentally weak when it comes to actually surviving on the wild.

Great Dane
07-13-2014, 09:55 PM
The "naked" part of the show is nothing more than a gimmick to attract attention.
I saw an episode, where they were in the Amazon. If you have any experience with the Amazon, you'll know how many mosquitos that are there, and what a royal pain in the *** they can be, even fully clothed.. Now, imagine running around naked being "attacked" by these bloodsuckers 24/7. Imagine all the places that'll be itching bad.. It had nothing to do with survival or the skills required.
A complete waste of time and I sure don't hope anyone learned anything from it, other than "If I go to the Amazon, I should remember to put on my clothes".

Grizz123
07-14-2014, 06:02 AM
The "naked" part of the show is nothing more than a gimmick to attract attention.
I saw an episode, where they were in the Amazon. If you have any experience with the Amazon, you'll know how many mosquitos that are there, and what a royal pain in the *** they can be, even fully clothed.. Now, imagine running around naked being "attacked" by these bloodsuckers 24/7. Imagine all the places that'll be itching bad.. It had nothing to do with survival or the skills required.
A complete waste of time and I sure don't hope anyone learned anything from it, other than "If I go to the Amazon, I should remember to put on my clothes".

I disagree. Very rarely will you be able to predict and or be 100% prepared for the unexpected event that will put you in a survival situation. Having the ability to focus on the survival task at hand (start a fire, find water/food, etc...) while bugs are eating you alive is something that can and should be learned. Few people have the ability "work through the pain" to complete a necessary task by staying focused on that task

crashdive123
07-14-2014, 06:29 AM
Gotta agree with Grizz123 on this. While seemingly gimicky, it does put many of these self proclaimed "experienced experts", as many of the proclaim to square zero where they have to focus on the basics. Many are unable to do so because they are not quite as experienced as they thought or they lack the mental ability to handle it.

Rick
07-14-2014, 07:28 AM
Actually, I think both points are valid. It was a gimmick but you might well have to focus despite distractions (the obvious one here excluded :cool:).

Great Dane
07-14-2014, 08:55 AM
I disagree. Very rarely will you be able to predict and or be 100% prepared for the unexpected event that will put you in a survival situation. Having the ability to focus on the survival task at hand (start a fire, find water/food, etc...) while bugs are eating you alive is something that can and should be learned. Few people have the ability "work through the pain" to complete a necessary task by staying focused on that task

We can agree that when in a survival situation, you will encounter unexpected things. I also know from experience, that few people have the ability to work through pain, annoyances like mosquitos or leaches, extreme cold or other extreme weather.
That wasn't the point. The point is, that the TV-show was made into a show about how big a pain mosquitos are when there are thousands of them 24/7, and you're not wearing any pants.
Mosquitos are a pain in the *** when you're wearing pants and a shirt, but by being dressed, you could have made a fine tv-show about what you need to do in the Amazon, if you're ever in serious trouble there. How to make fire when more or less everything is wet, what to eat and how to get it, getting drinkable water, building shelter and how to get out of there.
But in order to make "something different", they focused on being different, rather than the skills needed to survive and get out alive.

Sarge47
07-14-2014, 09:12 AM
...Grizz on this one. Many years ago my family and I were living in Colorado. My in-laws came up for a visit and we decided to roast some hot dogs over a small fire up in the mountains. I spotted a nice batch of Pine trees that I figured would make a great spot and we headed in. There must have been millions of "skeeters" that liked that spot as well. As soon as we got into the center of the area they attacked with a blood-thirsty vengeance. I tried to get a fire going but they were too many and too bad, we quickly left the area and moved out too a spot that was in the sun where the mosquitos didn't like. We were fully clothed and we were in Colorado...not the Amazon. We couldn't focus on anything....:w00t:

hunter63
07-14-2014, 01:06 PM
I think y'all are really overthinking this program.
Naked..........is just that no clothes to make or break you, just what mother nature gave you, no advantage at all, plus the effect of being embarrassed, self conscious......No gear.....just your will.

Afraid.....I bet they are under those circumstances.........

The is not a "How to bushcraft" program....I just helps if your are skilled.......really skilled not just "in my back yard I kick butt".

Funny how the experts kind flame out and just whine about not have the right stuff.

A real survivor makes do with what he /she has, no whining or BS....

I like the show......And it is just a show.

Sarge47
07-14-2014, 02:07 PM
I think y'all are really overthinking this program.
Naked..........is just that no clothes to make or break you, just what mother nature gave you, no advantage at all, plus the effect of being embarrassed, self conscious......No gear.....just your will.

Afraid.....I bet they are under those circumstances.........

The is not a "How to bushcraft" program....I just helps if your are skilled.......really skilled not just "in my back yard I kick butt".

Funny how the experts kind flame out and just whine about not have the right stuff.

A real survivor makes do with what he /she has, no whining or BS....

I like the show......And it is just a show.

You're not fooling me Hunter, you're just hoping Ruth makes an appearance!...:noway:

Batch
07-14-2014, 07:24 PM
I didn't watch the show because I thought the nudity was just a gimmick. My daughter likes the show and told me I would like it. I have watched 5 or 6 episodes and like the show.

Simple take people that think they have the skills to survive for 21 days and give them a cutting tool and a fire starter. Watch how many times people have said this ain't no joke at the end. LOL

Also, in the Amazon they had a guy tap out on the way in. A girl tap out a little into it, another guy tap out a day later. Then they brought a couple of people that had made it 21 days in some other shows and they kicked the pig and got it done.

For those that watch. What couldn't you do in your woods under the same situations? If we did an episode by episode break down what would you be willing to try on video in exactly the same situation? Errr, with clothes to a certain limit.

ninjasurvivor
07-16-2014, 12:22 PM
You need to have a very pragmatic approach to it. The first is to address your vulnerabilities. It's likely going to be cold, rain, and bugs. Shelter and fire are a must. Somebody better have a fire starter. Screw the pot or some other item. You need fire first, and hopefully a knife or machete. You'll be stone boiling your water, so you are good to go there.

Now you can sleep and won't suffer too terribly from cold, rain, and bugs. But you're going to need food. It's doubtful you'll be hunting. Gathering is typically limited. Trapping and fishing are your primary options. You will need cordage for this. Spend a good amount of time making it. Then build your net or fish baskets/trap and deploy that. Then spend the rest of your time unrelentingly setting snares and deadfall traps throughout the area. If you have to set a 100 then set a 100 and check them every day. You'll either get food or learn why you are not getting food and make the proper adjustments.

Given the variables, you need to follow that gameplan otherwise you will suffer. I've seen it on every episode, where they fail to get fire or lack food acquisition skills, and they suffer terribly as a result.

Rick
07-16-2014, 06:34 PM
And if your location doesn't have stone? If I were going to be on that show my first priority would be choosing who else is on there with me. The second priority would be to make sure she's blind. If she's not already she will be when she looks at me. Soooo. Then my third priority would be where we are supposed to survive. I'll choose what I take once I know where I'm going. Tools can be made from natural materials as can fire. But location is key to what you need.

ninjasurvivor
07-17-2014, 08:53 AM
And if your location doesn't have stone? If I were going to be on that show my first priority would be choosing who else is on there with me. The second priority would be to make sure she's blind. If she's not already she will be when she looks at me. Soooo. Then my third priority would be where we are supposed to survive. I'll choose what I take once I know where I'm going. Tools can be made from natural materials as can fire. But location is key to what you need.Only a rare location would not have stones. And if it doesn't have stones, then hopefully there will be lots of rainwater or fresh streams or groundwater sources. The environment they send you to must have SOMETHING that allows you to acquire safe drinking water, otherwise there's no point in letting someone send you there.

Where I'm from for example, there is no water. If you happened to be dumped off in this landscape with no resources you would simply die. There is no digging or searching for hidden pools. And good luck chopping open a cactus and drinking whatever is inside. It is ultimately about your specific location, because the devil is in the details.

crashdive123
07-17-2014, 09:03 AM
The only stone in my AO is limestone unless it was brought in. Not all locations are created equal.

Sarge47
07-17-2014, 09:29 AM
It seems to me that Discovery is only interested in going to the next survival extreme, not really teaching anything. As far as Arizona's water situation, Cody Lundin has pointed that out quite well in "Dual Survival." So who's got the "stones" to find water?....:creepy: