PDA

View Full Version : Almost Done Planting

crashdive123
04-11-2008, 09:43 PM
The first batch of Sweet Vadallia Onions are growing strong. The second batch is starting to sprout in the pots. Tomatoes, carrots, egg plant, squash, peppers are all planted. The herbs go in the garden this weekend. Toward the end of summer I'll have second and third plantings of some things plus the beans. What are you planting this year?

beerrunner13
04-11-2008, 10:49 PM
My early girl and stripey tomatos are flowering already the beefsteaks are a couple feet tall , the sweet bell peppers have little nubs, I think I will put a few more in this week, eggplant is doing OK not great, but the watermelon is doing great as is the Greek Oregano, I started some mint and it is doing pretty good. Sunflowers are up , but the Moss Roses are not doing so hot.Puting in some Jalaipenos and some more sweet bells this weekend.

Rick
04-12-2008, 09:20 AM
(grumble, mumble, gripe and complain) I really hate you guys. You know that, right? I mean it's like 43F with a wind chill of 34F today. IF I had Vadalia's out I'm afraid they would be shivering. On the other hand, I don't have gators, fire ants, fermosa termites, killer bees, .........

BraggSurvivor
04-12-2008, 11:46 AM
Frost isnt even out of the ground here till the end of June. :eek:

beerrunner13
04-12-2008, 12:13 PM
Heck Bragg but then with a little luck I will be starting my first batch of watermelon wine, And Rick gators are good things and no they don't taste like chicken.

BraggSurvivor
04-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Heck Bragg but then with a little luck I will be starting my first batch of watermelon wine, And Rick gators are good things and no they don't taste like chicken.

Ba$turd! :D

BraggSurvivor
04-12-2008, 12:20 PM
When I was in Louisiana a few years back we had gator at a famous cajun resturant. Loved it.

The next day we took a tour with a local enviromental guide in Lafayette. After seeing the gators in the wild, there is no way I'd eat em again. Just a beautiful animal.

Rick
04-12-2008, 04:31 PM
Oh, yea. Pappadeaux and their crispy fried alligator with fresh cut potato sticks & creole dipping sauce. Yum yum!!

nell67
04-12-2008, 04:42 PM
I have broccoli,cauliflower,peppers,spinach,lettuce,and cucumbers in the ground now,but it's been wayyyy too wet to get back in and get the potatoes,beans,corn,squash,etc.Last year,couldn't get rain,this year,it wont stop.:eek:

grundle
04-17-2008, 02:43 PM
The first batch of Sweet Vadallia Onions are growing strong. The second batch is starting to sprout in the pots. Tomatoes, carrots, egg plant, squash, peppers are all planted. The herbs go in the garden this weekend. Toward the end of summer I'll have second and third plantings of some things plus the beans. What are you planting this year?

Starting my first garden this year (just bought my first house with a yard). I am putting down a row of sweet corn, some onions, tomatoes, cantaloupe, several pepper varieties (a mild spicy and green bell peppers). I am not a fan of egg plant of squash, but I may soon change my mind. A friend of mine is a chef and cooks the most ridiculously good eggplant dishes I have ever had.

vagrant
04-17-2008, 03:21 PM
I only have a small garden but I'm putting in tomatoes, peppers and beans in this weekend. I want to try potatoes, onions, and herbs too.

off topic: Sometimes I wonder if this is a survival forum or a food forum :D

Rick
04-17-2008, 03:42 PM
Vagrant - Yes, it is.

Alpine_Sapper
04-17-2008, 05:41 PM
off topic: Sometimes I wonder if this is a survival forum or a food forum :D

Can't really seperate the two there in my opinion. I need food to survive. I just prefer it taste good and be healthful versus being bugs and dirt. :D

canid
04-18-2008, 03:30 AM
i've got my aneheims up, my cilantro, basil, nasturtiums going, crookednecks on their way, green onions and then some. i'll be buying some tomatoes shortly. plan on having a lot of container vegies and herbs this year.

vagrant
04-18-2008, 09:15 AM
Maybe I should have said gourmet food forum then hehe. The food and recipes you folks talk about aren't what you could call survival foods :)

where's the bacon?

Rick
04-18-2008, 09:21 AM
Well, we have a three tier system around here. We have the "I'm going to starve to death if I don't eat that cattail plant", tier:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1345&highlight=foraging

And the "I'm going to starve to death if I don't eat that pulled pork BBQ", tier:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2383&highlight=pulled+pork

And the "I'm going to starve to death if I don't eat that bacon", tier:

Just about any thread you wish to pull up.:D

canid
04-18-2008, 07:08 PM
twinkie tree is on order rick. pics when it comes into bloom...

Rick
04-18-2008, 07:20 PM
You had to do it didn't you? You just had to do it.

canid
04-18-2008, 11:34 PM
http://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/images11/MTS2_369115_fireflies_twinkie_tree2.JPG

Ridge Wolf
04-19-2008, 12:10 AM
You had to do it didn't you? You just had to do it.

You walked right into that one Rick.... :D

dilligaf2u2
04-19-2008, 05:41 AM
You guys in Fla can kiss my ugly mutt.

I have another 2 to 3 weeks before I can think about planting.

TDW wants to plant flowers. I want to plant pinto beans. You know who will win out.

Well I have a spot all picked out for my beans on the flood plains. Just have to wait till the nights stay above 40 degrees.

Don

Rick
04-19-2008, 06:52 AM
Black currants went into the ground this week. I'll be planting raspberry plants early next week. I have some seeds soaking right now for planting. Oh, yeah. Summer is getting here.

tunick001
04-20-2008, 06:25 PM
I've never done any planting of anything. I should start though. My grandparents used to have an orange tree in there backyard. We would sometimes get oranges from it.

Rick
04-20-2008, 06:26 PM
Man!! You live in Orange County. How you not grow oranges?

tunick001
04-20-2008, 06:34 PM
Man!! You live in Orange County. How you not grow oranges?

Yeah Orange County used to nothing but orange trees back in the early 1900's. Its not that way anymore, all you see now is city.

canid
04-20-2008, 08:11 PM
well... get out there, dig all those neighbors' back yards up and get with the johnny orangeseed bit. we know you can do it...

crashdive123
04-20-2008, 08:19 PM
:D <nightly news report from Orange County California>

...and now to our top story. It seems as though somebody has been going around the county digging holes and planting trees. That's right trees. Turns out they're orange trees. We've checked with our legal department and it seems that this is a crime. Imagine that....orange trees. Police have been searching for the perpatrator. They have released the following picture, so please be on the lookout.

http://www.isil.org/resources/fnn/2004spring/appleseed-1.jpg

Rick
04-20-2008, 09:13 PM
Well.....maybe you should start with dwarf trees and work your way up.