PDA

View Full Version : Maybe we should keep some vineger in our backpacks?

Wildthang
05-02-2014, 01:18 PM
I didn't realize that vineger had so many medicinal purposes! If all of this is true, maybe we should all have a small bottle of vineger in our backpacks!

Who would have known in the beginning, that wine that wine gone sour would have so many uses. Whether it was discovered accidentally or was a planned venture, no one knows how or when vinegar was discovered . Whatever the history, besides occupying an emphatic place in the cuisine of almost every culture, vinegar is known for its numerous benefits. Right from the days of the Greeks to the present times, man has been benefiting from the many uses of vinegar. In this article however, let us just concentrate on the various health benefits of vinegar.

Vinegar Uses for ...

... Health
•Vinegar is effective in clearing chest congestion. Add a few spoons of vinegar to a large bowl of water and inhale the vapor. This is a great chest congestion home remedy and it relieves respiratory congestion.
•Taking vinegar steam also relieves sinus infections and chest colds. Check the instructions of the vaporizer for measurements of mixing water with vinegar.
•Be it leg cramps or cramps in any other part of the body, use a compress of full strength vinegar to relieve it.
•Use a hot compress by dipping a towel in hot vinegar and applying it to a muscle strain and sprain. Apply this compress for 20 minutes.
•Vinegar is also effective in relieving headaches. For this, lie down and take a compress made from mixing equal amounts of vinegar and water.
•Make a solution of vinegar by adding 1 part of vinegar to 2 parts of water. Dip your toes in this solution everyday for 15 minutes. This cures toenail fungus.
•One of the vinegar uses for health is that it soothes sore throat. Add a teaspoon of vinegar to a glass of water. Gargle with this water and then swallow it. Alternately you could also mix 2 tablespoons of honey and 1 teaspoon of vinegar to one cup of hot water. Use this mixture to gargle and then swallow it.
•Applying a paste of vinegar and cornstarch relieves itches.
•Vinegar can be used for nail care as well. Soak your fingers in vinegar after having clipped your nails. Do this every time you cut your nails and you will find clean and healthy nails within two months' time.
... Skin
Vinegar is very effective in soothing dry and itchy skin and works wonders for mild burns. Here's how:
•Add 2 tablespoons of vinegar to bathe water to relieve dry and itchy skin.
•Rubbing white distilled or cider vinegar lightly on skin relieves sunburns. This application should be repeated as required.
•To reduce age spots, mix equal parts of onion juice and vinegar. Apply it daily to age spots. Continue using this to get rid of the unwanted signs of aging.
•Dousing a bee or jellyfish sting with vinegar relieves itching and irritation.
•Apply ice-cold vinegar for instant relief from pain due to skin burn. Treatment of the burn with vinegar also prevents formation of blisters.
•Want soft feet? Use vinegar. Add 1 cup of white distilled vinegar to 2 gallons of warm water. Soak your feet in this mixture for 45 minutes. Then scrub your feet with pumice stone. This removes dead skin and calluses, and leaves feet feeling soft and looking clean.
... Hair
Want shiny, healthy looking hair? Rush to your kitchen and grab that bottle of vinegar, or should we call the 'wonder liquid'?
•To get rid of dandruff, first shampoo your hair. Then after you are sure that no trace of shampoo is left, rinse your hair with a solution of ½ cup vinegar and 2 cups of warm water.
•Using water with vinegar added to it, to wash hair reduces frizz in over - permed hair.
•You can also use vinegar to add shine to your hair. Just mix a little bit of vinegar with your shampoo and use it normally. However, leave it on for 2 to 3 minutes before washing it off with water.
•If you color your hair then rinse your hair with a mixture of water and vinegar after rinsing it with water. This seals the color in the hair.
Apple Cider Vinegar Health Benefits

Have you heard of the adage 'an apple a day keeps the doctor away'? Here is another proof of the fruit's health benefit. Although made from apples, apple cider vinegar is believed to have greater health benefits than the fruit itself.
•Apple cider vinegar prevents the formation of gallbladder stones and urinary tract infections.
•Strengthening the immune system and increasing stamina are other health benefits of apple cider vinegar.
•It provides relief from the symptoms of arthritis and gout.
•Apple cider vinegar improves digestion and protects against food poisoning. It is also cures constipation.
•Of the numerous apple cider health benefits the fact that it helps in weight loss is perhaps the most desired one. Apple cider vinegar speeds up one's metabolism that results in weight loss.
•Vinegar uses for acne are also well-known. Mix one part of apple cider vinegar and 3 to 4 parts of water. Dab the affected areas with this mixture. Leave it on for 10 minutes, then rinse it. Repeat this three times daily.
These are a few vinegar health uses. Probably I could just go on and on about vinegar uses. This liquid which is actually acetic acid, occupies such an integral place in our lives today that it is a rare kitchen that you would come across, that would not have a bottle of vinegar.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/vinegar-uses-for-health.html

hunter63
05-02-2014, 01:33 PM
Cool, thanks for posting.......ever tried to make your own?
Had a batch going and a rain storm killed it......acid rain I was told.....anyway

http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/how-vinegar-works2.htm

Sunset Sam
05-02-2014, 04:18 PM
"I didn't realize that vineger had so many medicinal purposes! If all of this is true, maybe we should all have a small bottle of vineger in our backpacks!"

Vinegar is great stuff, but it is an acid. If you wanted to carry some in a backpack, it would need to be in a leak proof container. Special care would be needed to keep it away from firearms and hunting knives. Besides spills, acid fumes can attack metals, some plastics, and papergoods. Vinegar can even rust stainless steel given enough time.

The vinegar sold in grocery stores is a very weak solution, approximately 5%. For cleaning and non-consumptive uses a stronger percentage solution can be purchased and it will have greater antiseptic value. Sometimes grocery stores carry higher percentage white vinegar (e.g., Kroger) and it is put either in the aisle with the cooking vinegars or in the cleaning products aisle. It can pay off to check the percentage of acid shown on different brands of vinegar and purchase the higher percentage vinegar (the rest of the contents is just water) if one is using it for non-culinary purposes.

I know you know all this Wildthang, but others might not. I found out my usual way : the hard one.

BENESSE
05-02-2014, 07:55 PM
...but you can catch more flies with honey.

Wildthang
05-03-2014, 06:51 AM
...but you can catch more flies with honey.

I prefer whipped cream:smartass:

tnrick55
05-04-2014, 12:47 PM
I use apple ceder vinegar for sun burn i get a lot on my bald head lol works great stops the burn and turns it to a tan.

RangerXanatos
05-19-2014, 09:25 AM
I, too, use vinegar for sunburn and have been known to spray it on my skin after a shower. Your skin produces an acid mantle that helps fight off bacteria, viruses, and other possible infections. When you bath, you remove that acid mantle and spraying the vinegar on your skin helps start putting it back.