PDA

View Full Version : Testing yourself before hand.

Sluggo
04-12-2014, 10:21 PM
The best time to work out glitches is before it matters.I decided to test my abilitys and see if I could feed myself if I was empty handed.I went to one of our local lakes and began a scavenger hunt.Within 15 minutes I found several sinkers of various size.I found many feet of fishing line,some snagged in trees an brush,some just lying on the ground.After a bit of untangling,I found a couple hooks still tied to the tangled line,and a couple more laying on a boat dock.i almost tired of picking up bobbers,many washed into little coves and several caught in the bushes and trees.I found a box of mepps spinners while trout fishing on another trip,it was a nice devided box that had 2 missing,but still contained 4.On my initial trip I also found half an ugly stick,that was discarded or forgotten,and on another trip,I found a fish stringer,the chain and clip type.Could I have fed myself at no cost absolutely,though not everything I found was needed to catch fish,line and hooks and some sort of real or artificial bait will be enough to fill your belly.next time your fishing,spend a little time scavenging,it is fun and will boost your confidence knowing you can feed yourself in dire situation if needed.

pete lynch
04-13-2014, 04:54 AM
I guess, if the fish are biting.

hunter63
04-13-2014, 11:27 AM
Congrats.....

You are training your mind to the idea of "search at all times"....a valuable skill.
It's funny how it works, and like any skill can be honed till it becomes natural and you do it with out even thinking.

Many people would walk by this gear and never even see it.

Many can walk down the trail and constantly pick out plants for food, cordage, fire tinder.......with out even thinking about it.

I drive down a street an see a leather sofa on the curb.........and my mind see possibles bags, moccasins and other leather projects.

kyratshooter
04-13-2014, 11:40 AM
The largest fish I ever saw pulled from local waters was a 100 pound catfish a 12 year old kid caught with his bare hands. Dog-gone fish nearly drowned him!

Growing up as a kid in the south I have caught a bunch of fish using only hook, line and sinker strung to a willow or cane pole and baited with grasshopper or worms found on the spot, thinking that if I had a $5 Zebco I would be king of river.

But generally fishing is like much the rest of the happenings of the world, sometimes they are biting and sometimes they are not.

If it is a good day you will eat well, if it is not you will be wishing you had not wasted the bait.

Lil K
04-13-2014, 02:20 PM
That is really cool Sluggo, I'm going to try that in the summer actually when I head up to Minnesota for a bit. ( Land of the Lakes :D )

However, when you catch a fish with your supplies, what will you cook it with? Surely you said you were empty handed and finding a knife around would be such a little chance. Maybe using a very sharpened stick or rock would do the trick to get it open and gut it. Then you must find the supplies to make a fire and cook it. Just an idea, maybe also you can try to find things around the lake that would help you do this sort of thing.

Sluggo
04-13-2014, 10:44 PM
I can only speak for myself,but building a fire on the spur of the moment has been something I have practiced for years.I also have explored methods of preserving fish for later consumption,but I'm betting I could find everything to make fire with in a short time,matter of fact I have did just that.Like a previous poster stated,always have an eye out for supplies.I hardly ever go on a walkabout without a ditty bag to pack any supplies I notice.of course you could go the sushi way!