PDA

View Full Version : Im A Total Wimp

WildGoth
07-16-2007, 11:51 PM
truth is i have never been on a survival trip well i have a hard time getting out there because i have not have a chance but im on summer break so i want to try to get out there any ideas on where to go i live near ny

MesquiteCharlie
07-16-2007, 11:56 PM
upstate new york is all country from what I understand. make sure you got somebody with ya who knows what they're doing. Even if you're somewhere close to civilization. I've gotten myself lost 600 yards from the parking lot. I thought I was gonna have to spend the night out there.

woodzman
07-17-2007, 09:01 PM
The Adirondack Mts. are a great place to spend some time.

WildGoth
07-18-2007, 12:22 AM
was that a joke or was that surisous

owl_girl
07-18-2007, 11:13 PM
Isn’t that true with almost all animals? How many jaguars do you know?

FVR
07-18-2007, 11:22 PM
You need to be aware and know where you are in the world at all times.

Sarge47
07-18-2007, 11:41 PM
Well, it was not surisous for sure...lol

Survival does not only happen in the woods...many more people die in the city everyday than lost in the Moab desert.

Survival is for me a state of mind...it is like being a Jaguar.
If i walk into a big shopping center, a museum or a theater, my first objective is to be aware of everything around me, the exits, the number of doors, people around me, what they wear, what kind of shoes they have, what they carry, the direction of the wind at the door, the composition of the ground, the general construction of the building, the ambiance, the location of windows, etc...
All of this is "judged" in a second, in a heart beat. Fear is not my motivation here...my motivation is attention, awareness. It is the spirit of the jaguar in a concrete jungle.
The jaguar is not afraid, he sees all, he senses all...he is present and whole within his body, he is present and whole in his environment.
The jaguar is present in his body.

The little jaguar that we are has forgotten (he is a little stupid and slow) he thinks that he is in a place where "nature" has been tamed. But it is not the case, it is only a different form of nature. One can only go to a busy mall to understand the fragility of the moment.

The jaguar utilizes his environment, the terrain, with flexibility and control, with a presence and an attention as sharp as a knife...for his mind is a knife.
The jaguar has only one thing in mind...surviving.

It is in this way that he is present to the the world, that he does not preoccupy himself with superfluous things, for he knows that it would be to fall asleep to the murmur of cities.

Most of us just come and go, carried by this murmur...by this state of unawareness...always lost in our thoughts...in our minds...that is what it is to be lost, it is to not be here, wherever that "here" is.

So Manhattan or the forests, a mall or the desert, it does not matter where we are to be a jaguar.

volwest

I like the Jaguar, aren't they made by Ford now? ;>)

rusty_oxydado
07-19-2007, 05:54 PM
While everyone is still being cute, make baby steps, check out some local camp grounds, learn to use your equipment, get accostomed to the different way of doing things, next time out, be a little adventurous, check in to the local rangers office, tell them where you are going, how long you will be gone, and set up camp just off a side road. Just slight increase in difficulty each time you go out, in a short time you will have some good skills, and don't forget to check in with the rangers when you come out so they won't curse you while they start up a search party.

Tony uk
07-19-2007, 06:00 PM
I tend to dissapear up some hill for days at a time camping, the worst time was when i was REALLY bored and i left at 6am to go, you should of seen how worried my family was tho i didnt mean to cause them worry

trax
07-20-2007, 12:58 PM
Wildgoth,

Rusty's advice was right on the money. Work your way up to serious outdoor survival challenges, all the time you spend out there will be worthwhile.

LiL' bunny fufu
07-20-2007, 04:45 PM
im with trax,

wareagle69
07-24-2007, 05:06 PM
oh crap gotta run dr phil is on, hope the tv isnt bugged so the goernment dont know i'm picking my nose while watching ol phil

rusty_oxydado
07-24-2007, 06:25 PM
Wild Goth;
All of us are first timers at things our whole life long, it is a fool who hoots and hollers he knows everything, and when it comes time to put up, the facts come out. This usually happend where it is going to cost everyone around them, or be the cause of someong getting hurt.
I respect you for saying you have little experience, I would prefere someone like you in my camp than a big talker who can't do anything.
For me it is easier to teach and give a helping hand than it is to follow behind someone picking up after them, and fixing their messes.

Fog_Harbor
07-30-2007, 09:42 PM
Survival does not only happen in the woods...many more people die in the city everyday than lost in the Moab desert.

Yeah, you want to learn about survival, talk to a homeless person. many have been doing it for years. I've learned a few tricks from the homeless. Of course, their forte is urban survival, where the resources are more of what people are used to.

Xplosive22
08-01-2007, 02:46 AM
You need to be aware and know where you are in the world at all times.

I feel better knowing I'm not the only one. People call it paranoia but really it is just awareness and perceptiveness.