PDA

View Full Version : Knife material ideas

bulrush
04-09-2008, 01:18 PM
Do you think a PC case (metal of course) would make a decent knife? I didn't say great, I said decent.

What other materials besides a wood mill saw blade work make good knives? I already know about circular saw blades and automotive spring metal. I have also heard of using old files, or dollar store files.

What about flat stock from the hardware store? Is the steel "good enough" for a rough knife?

JRJ
04-09-2008, 01:28 PM
High carbon metals are usually ideal and most important is the tempering.

-JRJ

crashdive123
04-09-2008, 02:24 PM
Anything that you can put an edge on can be used as a knife. Now, it all depends on what you want to use it for as to whether or not it will be decent. I have several little knives that I've made out of hacksaw blades - for a small, light knife in a pocket kit it's fine, but I'm not doing any big jobs with them. The 1/4" thick chopper that you make from a leaf spring probably won't work too well for small jobs. If you can put an edge on it, and it works for what you want, then it's a decent knife.

vagrant
04-09-2008, 03:42 PM
This guy makes them out of railroad spikes. So anything that can hold an edge :). This is from a hunting forum no less.

http://www.railroadknives.com/

SGTD00m
04-09-2008, 03:54 PM
I saw on a website i will see if i can find it where some one made a good knife out of an old frying pan. He started by pounding it flat and braking it on an anvil with a hammer.

Ole WV Coot
04-09-2008, 04:33 PM
Are you gonna use a forge, temper, stock removal or just want to cut something? If you just want to cut you don't need metal. As Crash said hacksaw blades can be razor sharp and very useful for just about anything so make several. It will depend on what use you have in mind.

MCBushbaby
04-09-2008, 04:49 PM
PC cases are made cheap, thin and with poor attention to materials. Remember, the purpose of a computer case is simply to create a box to hold your components. It will probably be some kind of cheat stainless with so little carbon that any edge will bend with average use. If you want to make a martyr knife (a cheap, half-assed blade that you can throw away if it breaks or doesn't work), go ahead.

Alpine_Sapper
04-09-2008, 06:29 PM
PC cases are made cheap, thin and with poor attention to materials. Remember, the purpose of a computer case is simply to create a box to hold your components. It will probably be some kind of cheat stainless with so little carbon that any edge will bend with average use. If you want to make a martyr knife (a cheap, half-assed blade that you can throw away if it breaks or doesn't work), go ahead.

I agree with the cheap part, but they usually pay a pretty good bit of attention to material. Typically your case will be made from SECC steel and is designed in such a way to cut down on EMI/RFI. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_frequency_interference). That being said, everything else appears to be 100% correct, as it doesn't take much cheap SECC steel t accomplish the goals in regards to EMI.

If you are in a situation where you HAVE to make a knife from a computer case or die, sure, do it to surivive. In any other situation, I'd try to find a different material. Even a sharpened stick would probably serve you better.

Tony uk
04-10-2008, 02:08 PM
I like a high carbon steel the best, You can use old file's and hacksaw blades work also, Im sue there was a few links to how to make them somewhere if you use the search

Eagles Talon
04-11-2008, 10:02 AM
Those rail-road spikes look nasty, in the good way, i wouldnt mind gettin' me one of those:D

Rick
04-11-2008, 12:31 PM
I think Crash made a good post. It depends on what you want to use it for and how long you want to hang on to it. If it's something you need in an expedient fashion and that's all you have then go for it. If you want something quality that you can keep then you'll need better materials for the reasons Mitch pointed out.

marberry
04-11-2008, 04:26 PM
spring steel , any steel blades off old farm equipment (30 years old or older)

hoosierarcher
04-19-2008, 07:50 PM
Car leaf springs make good knives as do old files. Files need to be annealed first. I'm currently trying to make smatchets with the leaf springs. Once I get the smatchets mastered I'll move on to Kukris and Jambiya daggers. Probably be good enough at all three by next year to start selling them. Bird of Prey Forge will be up and running by March 2009. Files make good Mora style knives.

bladefrenzy
04-20-2008, 12:59 AM
If ya want a fun project, get some big broken bandsaw blades. Might be able to get em free. Cut out your shape with a dremel cutoff wheel and keep it cool by dipping in water before it gets too warm to touch. attach scales or cord wrap and sharpen and TADA knife. A shorter blade usually works well because of the flex, but these can make very good slicers and awesome filet knives.

Rick
04-20-2008, 07:03 AM
Bladefrenzy - Here's is what a lot of talent and a used bandsaw blade can do:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1062&highlight=sawmill+blade

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1176&highlight=knife+making

bladefrenzy
04-20-2008, 10:31 AM
Yep, except I think the ones he is using are Sawmill blades. The real big circular saw blades. I have/use some of those to. They usually have very good old "seasoned" steel.
A blacksmith once told me that all those years of them geting hot cdutting wood was like tempering them over and over. Makes for a very good blade.

I'll try to post some pics of my stuff soon. Later, Steve