PDA

View Full Version : Using Space Bags

bulrush
04-08-2008, 10:53 AM
Space Bags are a thick plastic bag used to compress and store items by removing the air in the bag. By removing air you compress soft items, but removing air will also help preserve food items and other things that go bad over time. I have noticed my duct tape seems to go bad over about 5 years. The glue does not stick to the backing as well and I have to throw it away. After about 10 years the glue has almost no "stickosity".

Some Space Bags have a one way valve, you simply press the air out. Others have a vacuum valve where you put your vacuum hose on the valve, and it removes the air.

But still, they are a thick plastic, are waterproof (if they are air proof, they must be waterproof), and help make things smaller. They are also good for keeping clothes dry. Keeping a spare set of dry clothes will keep you from getting sick or getting hypothermia.

tacmedic
04-08-2008, 04:12 PM
I have used the space bags for a while now. They are really nice to keep things dry. When I go backpacking i usually throw an extra fleece some wool socks into one and then suck out the air and throw it in the bottom of my pack in case I get wet and need something dry and warm in a hurry. I have used both types of bags, the one you have to vacuum out and the ones that you roll the air out I have had better luck with the vacuum ones keeping their seal. The downside being that once you open the back you can't compress it again without a vacuum.

bulrush
04-09-2008, 09:41 AM
I haven't had the ones with a vacuum seal, but I would assume it has a one way valve and you could press out most of the air, but a vacuum would get even more air out.

Rokas
07-17-2008, 03:09 AM
Are these bags durable?

Rick
07-17-2008, 06:13 AM
I use a dry bag to carry some extra clothes. It also does double duty as my pillow.

sekoutdoors
07-22-2008, 05:58 PM
The biggest problem I have had with them is the zipper failing and not sealing, causing a leak of air.

Rick
07-22-2008, 06:21 PM
Hey, sek. Welcome. How about going over to the Introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself.

bulrush
07-31-2008, 01:58 PM
Are these bags durable?

Yes, they are quite durable. I'm not easy to impress, and I've seen a lot of junky gimmicks on the market but these things are tough. Not as tough as a $100 bag, but still tough. I would take it camping with me but not white water rafting.

Beo
07-31-2008, 02:32 PM
Don't all bags have space in them? Get a hefty sinch sak and stretch it over ya or pack it full of crap. JK