PDA

View Full Version : this one is for the bacon lovers

randyt
03-04-2014, 07:44 AM
came across this on the net

http://www.westonaprice.org/blogs/kdaniel/2012/03/29/save-your-bacon-sizzling-bits-about-nitrites-dirty-little-secrets-about-celery-salt-and-other-aporkalyptic-news/

hunter63
03-04-2014, 10:39 AM
The nice thing about the interweb is the fact that you can find published data supporting most anything you can come up with.

Been attending Friday Heart School as part of my Rehab.....seems the most important part about anything is moderation.

Interesting read.......thanks.

mountainmark
03-04-2014, 11:22 AM
Weston Price has a lot of good info (though I have some complaints). We raise some pigs on our farm and sell bacon. What I always tell folks is that if you are concerned about nitrosamines, cook at a low setting and make sure you get plenty of vitamin C. We consume far fewer nitrates than our ancestors because we have less reliance on cured food (with the advent of refrigeration). And as the article points out, the "nitrite free" bacon is actually often higher in nitrates. We receive about 80% of our nitrates from veggies. It is a constant process of education.

Rick
03-04-2014, 12:30 PM
The education process is often lost on folks like me. I admit I'm near Neanderthal when it comes to food. It's like.....Bacon good. Brussel sprouts no good. Coffee good. No bacon. Need hunting party.

1stimestar
03-04-2014, 03:49 PM
Good party, no whiskey, we go home.

Rick
03-04-2014, 04:21 PM
'Zactly.....