PDA

View Full Version : Survivalism goes Mainstream

BraggSurvivor
04-07-2008, 05:22 PM
THE traditional face of survivalism is that of a shaggy loner in camouflage, holed up in a cabin in the wilderness and surrounded by cases of canned goods and ammunition.

ALIVE AND ALONE Will Smith stars in “I Am Legend” as a survivor of a man-made virus, walking New York’s desolate streets.
It is not that of Barton M. Biggs, the former chief global strategist at Morgan Stanley. Yet in Mr. Biggs’s new book, “Wealth, War and Wisdom,” he says people should “assume the possibility of a breakdown of the civilized infrastructure.”

“Your safe haven must be self-sufficient and capable of growing some kind of food,” Mr. Biggs writes. “It should be well-stocked with seed, fertilizer, canned food, wine, medicine, clothes, etc. Think Swiss Family Robinson. Even in America and Europe there could be moments of riot and rebellion when law and order temporarily completely breaks down.”

Survivalism, it seems, is not just for survivalists anymore.

The rest:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/06/fashion/06survival.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

tacmedic
04-07-2008, 07:36 PM
I'm supposed to be shaggy and wear camoflauge? I knew I was doing something wrong!

Teacher
04-07-2008, 08:20 PM
I always wanted to see a class (or possibly put one together) on urban survival. Pretty much along this same line of thought, natural disasters, war, civil unrest, (mother-in-law visits). Has anyone heard of a school or classes like this? Pretty soon you wont have to be lost in the woods to practice survival.

Tahyo
04-07-2008, 08:47 PM
I always wanted to see a class (or possibly put one together) on urban survival. Pretty much along this same line of thought, natural disasters, war, civil unrest, (mother-in-law visits). Has anyone heard of a school or classes like this? Pretty soon you wont have to be lost in the woods to practice survival.

Of all the situations of survival, a SHTF scenario living in the burbs worries me the most. Although I have what I consider great survival skills for situations involving woods etc due to a life time of learning and actually practicing, I've always gone over in my mind "would it be better to high tail it to the woods? or stay put?" We live in an unincorporated area on a small lake, so I have a water supply, short of someone really contaminating it and I have my share of firearms for both protection and hunting. I've stored a reasonable amount of food, water, fuel and have a generator and that's just it... once your neighbors that are unprepared find out you have something, then to me that could be a potential problem, and believe me, we are surrounded by the type of people that wouldn't be able to cope, in my opinion.

As I've grown older I've geared our main survival for the urban setting, but always have it in the back of my mind that it may be necessary at some point to head for the hills.

**add** My inlaws would be some of the first to become food.

Governments and people are too unpredictable in those type of situations as we have learned from watching the results of Katrina.

BlackDog
04-07-2008, 09:00 PM
THE traditional face of survivalism is that of a shaggy loner in camouflage, holed up in a cabin in the wilderness and surrounded by cases of canned goods and ammunition.

ALIVE AND ALONE Will Smith stars in “I Am Legend” as a survivor of a man-made virus, walking New York’s desolate streets.
It is not that of Barton M. Biggs, the former chief global strategist at Morgan Stanley. Yet in Mr. Biggs’s new book, “Wealth, War and Wisdom,” he says people should “assume the possibility of a breakdown of the civilized infrastructure.”

“Your safe haven must be self-sufficient and capable of growing some kind of food,” Mr. Biggs writes. “It should be well-stocked with seed, fertilizer, canned food, wine, medicine, clothes, etc. Think Swiss Family Robinson. Even in America and Europe there could be moments of riot and rebellion when law and order temporarily completely breaks down.”

Survivalism, it seems, is not just for survivalists anymore.

The rest:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/06/fashion/06survival.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Very interesting article. I believe that everyone has a lot more survival and problem solving ability than they are given or give themselves credit for. If I lived in an urban environment that article would have made me a little uneasy, given the possibility of a self-fulfilling prophecy by the simple spread of rumor causing panic, similar to the Salem Witch Trials or the Bear Stearns Meltdown.

BraggSurvivor
04-07-2008, 09:17 PM
In 1963 things were so good my dad thought,
"Man, life can't get any better."

And it never did.

When I was a little kid, every year was better than the one before.

My dad went from having a used 50 Merc, to a brand new 54 Ford, to a brand new 59 Olds, to a new brand new 63 Lincoln.

Nobody's mom had to work, everyone was happy.

No one could have imagined we'd piss it all away in 45 years.

canid
04-07-2008, 11:28 PM
yes, it helps if you grow a beard. if you can't get a beard to fill in really well, grow two.

Ridge Wolf
04-07-2008, 11:47 PM
Survivalism is taking stock of your environment, assessing your resources and using them in the here and now to lessen the harsh impact of your environment. It doesn't matter where you are... each environment has it 's own remedies.

Teacher
04-07-2008, 11:58 PM
I too practice and or at least keep survival practices or situations in the formost of my mind eveyday, in everything I do. The number 1 question I normally get asked about survival schools or classes are from people who never leave the city (God knows why) and want some kind of training or direction in what to do just in case. I always give them the normal "best to be prepared" speech with all the ideas on what they can do at that time. Common sense for some people never fully developed. And, yes the beard does definately help. First thing I gave up when I "retired" from the Navy was barber visits.

joe_
04-10-2008, 08:33 PM

yes...

a friend of mine did a year in the woods.

teachingdrum.org

I am sure it is up the same alley as this site...

Rick
04-12-2008, 04:20 PM
Well, I'm pretty PO'd at the moment. No one, not one single person informed me of the bearded scruffy camo look and I certainly haven't seen anything in Field and Stream or Survival Monthly. Not even the pin up girls from Bunker Boy hinted at that as one of their turn ons. I'm sadly out of step with fashion etiquette once again it seems. I suppose next someone will tell me tie dye and bell bottoms is now a fashion faux pa. Where are the rule books on this stuff people?

Sam
04-13-2008, 01:21 AM
Well, I'm pretty PO'd at the moment. No one, not one single person informed me of the bearded scruffy camo look and I certainly haven't seen anything in Field and Stream or Survival Monthly. Not even the pin up girls from Bunker Boy hinted at that as one of their turn ons. I'm sadly out of step with fashion etiquette once again it seems. I suppose next someone will tell me tie dye and bell bottoms is now a fashion faux pa. Where are the rule books on this stuff people?
Rick, did you get the memo on bathing? If you keep clean you can not survive for any amount of time. So get with the program, we are not gonna explain you to the other survivalist much longer. I mean I can not even smell you from here.
What is up with that?:D

Rick
04-13-2008, 09:27 AM
Godliness.....Survivalist......Godliness.....Survi valist. And I thought cleanliness was a biblical requirement. I need to go meditate on this.

Assassin Pilot
04-13-2008, 10:32 AM
I saw that movie. It's pretty good, but the fact that he has about 50 car batteries to power his apartment, a fully automatic sniper rifle, a closet full of spam, huge thick metal covers on his doors and windows, and pistols / grenades in every cabinet of his house kind of take away from the true survival spirit of the situation. And he has like a Porsche and an army-type van. I think he's pretty safe with all of that, even against all the mutants.

But I suppose it is a step up the ladder, tis a lot better than many other movies.

Alpine_Sapper
04-13-2008, 10:54 AM
I saw that movie. It's pretty good, but the fact that he has about 50 car batteries to power his apartment, a fully automatic sniper rifle, a closet full of spam, huge thick metal covers on his doors and windows, and pistols / grenades in every cabinet of his house kind of take away from the true survival spirit of the situation. And he has like a Porsche and an army-type van. I think he's pretty safe with all of that, even against all the mutants.

But I suppose it is a step up the ladder, tis a lot better than many other movies.

I don't follow your logic. He forages/hunts for his food, and has amassed a decent collection of canned good to survive on. The rifle is necessary because he hunts the mutants for experiments to cure the disease, the metal covers for shelter from the threats in his environment, etc. etc.

I mean, he's trying to save an entire species from the brink of extinction.

How much more "survivalist" can you get? Is it his equipment that "take away from the true survival spirit of the situation"?

Do you consider "bugging out", or "bugging in", whatever your philosophy, not survival?

As a side note, the graphic novels are WAAAAAAAY different than the movie. Much better, imho.

Rick
04-13-2008, 11:01 AM
Is this a remake of Omega Man? Sure sounds like it.

Alpine_Sapper
04-13-2008, 11:08 AM
Is this a remake of Omega Man? Sure sounds like it.

Omega Man was based on the "I Am Legend" novel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_man

Rick
04-13-2008, 11:10 AM
Cool beans! I learned something else today. Thanks!!

Assassin Pilot
04-13-2008, 08:01 PM
@ Alpine:

I suppose he is in a survival situation then, just in a much different one than what I would imagine when I hear the word "survival". I guess I just go camping too much lol

dilligaf2u2
04-14-2008, 12:32 AM
I Am Legend. Over acting. I did like Omega Man.

The idea of a pandemic seems older then most of us want to admit. Can we say dark ages? Black Plague? Mother in laws birthday party?

Don

Rick
04-14-2008, 07:59 AM
Don et. al. - A survival tactic for the in-law visits. Prior to the visit cook up a lot of bacon and crumble it up. Place it in any container that you can hide on your person. (the longer the visit the more containers you will need). When you think you can't stand it any more just excuse yourself to the bathroom and chill out on crumbled bacon. Hmmmm.

By the way, if you want a real treat, instead of frying your bacon, try baking it in the oven. I use a cooling rack placed inside a baking pan (cookie type with sides). Spread the bacon on the cooling rack and cook on low heat. Just like making jerky.

Riverrat
04-14-2008, 09:32 AM
Now I am hungry, gotta go....

Alpine_Sapper
04-14-2008, 12:47 PM
By the way, if you want a real treat, instead of frying your bacon, try baking it in the oven. I use a cooling rack placed inside a baking pan (cookie type with sides). Spread the bacon on the cooling rack and cook on low heat. Just like making jerky.

Sweeeeeeet. I gotta try this.

Rick
04-14-2008, 12:50 PM
You'll wind up with bacon but without the grease. It will drip down into the pan beneath the rack. My wife put me on to this and I love it. Just keep an eye on it and don't let it over bake or it will turn to powder when you pick it up.

Aurelius95
04-14-2008, 02:26 PM
You'll wind up with bacon but without the grease. It will drip down into the pan beneath the rack. My wife put me on to this and I love it. Just keep an eye on it and don't let it over bake or it will turn to powder when you pick it up.

How long does it take, and I assume you put it in about 150 degrees?

nell67
04-14-2008, 02:27 PM
We do this with our bacon at work,325* for 8 minutes does the trick.

Alpine_Sapper
04-14-2008, 02:28 PM

I've baked it before quite often, and I use a rack as well. But I do it at ~300-350. I've used deep fryers when I was in a hurry and out of pre-cooked in a restaurant, too.

Sooo, what you're saying is, I can't really turn this into bacon jerkey??? :confused:
You are such a tease. :)

Rick
04-14-2008, 02:29 PM
I set the oven at 200 and it needs to bake for a couple of hours. The exact time will depend on the amount of fat in the bacon. I generally check on it after an hour just to see how it's doing then about every 1/2 after that until it's done.

Rick
04-14-2008, 02:31 PM
Oh, no. Not bacon jerky. Sorry. I just meant you can bake it LIKE jerky.

I gotta try that 325 thing. 8 minutes is better than 2 hours. The sooner I can eat bacon the better!!

nell67
04-14-2008, 02:34 PM
We have convection ovens at work rick,dont know if that will make a difference as to how long it needs to cook in a normal home oven.So just check it after 8 minutes,then adjust accordingly,if that isn't done enough for you.

Rick
04-14-2008, 02:37 PM
I wondered how they whipped out bacon so fast. That makes sense. I'll try it and see what happens.

I would think there would be to much fat in bacon to make jerky out of it. But....if you don't plan to store it I don't know why you couldn't make some. I might even try that. It won't last more than a day or two around here anyway. By then it will be just a memory.

nell67
04-14-2008, 02:41 PM
Yep,we cook 10 lb. roasts in 3.5 hours,at 250 degrees,so it has got to be the forced air from the oven,if you over load the oven,and the can't circulate,then the roasts do not cook as fast.