PDA

View Full Version : How to use a leather awl?

bulrush
04-07-2008, 09:58 AM
In high school I found an old leather awl without instructions. So I threaded it up, pushed it into the leather, but when I would pull the awl out, the thread often came out. There was no locking thread to keep the original stitch in. Can anyone point me (and others) to instructions on using a leather awl?

Thanks.

Ole WV Coot
04-07-2008, 05:57 PM
In high school I found an old leather awl without instructions. So I threaded it up, pushed it into the leather, but when I would pull the awl out, the thread often came out. There was no locking thread to keep the original stitch in. Can anyone point me (and others) to instructions on using a leather awl?

Thanks.

You got you one of those leather, canvas etc sewing thingies. You have string on a bobbin and threaded thru the needle leave enough slack and push the needle thru. That slack I told you to save is inserted into the bottom loop when you push the needle back thru so don't pull all your slack thru. You will need enough extra on the bottom to lock every stitch. Hope I told you right, ain't used one of those in years.:D:D

bulrush
04-08-2008, 10:38 AM
Do I
1. Do all stitches then thread the slack back through every stitch
2. or after I do one stitch then I put the slack under the loop to keep it from pulling out?

hidingpool
04-13-2008, 10:32 PM
The first time you push through pull enough thread to go around through the whole. Then every time you make a loop pull that through to lock the stitch. Hope this makes sense. Know how to use them, have trouble explaining. POOL

crashdive123
04-13-2008, 10:35 PM
Hey hidingpool - welcome to the forum. How 'bout stiching your way over to the intro section and tell us a little bit about yourself. You can find it here http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14