PDA

View Full Version : Came across a gismo .....?????

hunter63
02-23-2014, 01:10 PM
Came across a gismo that might have a use....at least sound like it might be handy for a BOL stash......

Then again when you this about it...does have that "Bought it from a guy at the state fair 20 years ago....seemed to be a good idea at the time", things when you see it in your tool box 20 years from now.

Haywire Klamper.....
http://www.haywireklamper.com/

What do y'all think?

COWBOYSURVIVAL
02-23-2014, 01:21 PM
May not be all that new, seems like I have found evidence of something like this being used around the farm..I don't have anything of the sort though. So would of been a prior owner. But then I have found many odd things here...

randyt
02-23-2014, 01:24 PM
I have often wondered about one of those gizmos, I'm surprised I don't have one YET LOL. I've been lashing with haywire and trapping wire with linemans pliers for so long that it seems like it may end up being a extra tool that seldom gets used.

gryffynklm
02-23-2014, 01:52 PM
I was thinking a blacksmith might be able to make similar.

hunter63
02-23-2014, 02:16 PM
I spent 35 years in the wire rope industry, and have a lot of experience in tire wire, hay wire, bailing wire etc.
It actually is a low carbon, iron, very soft, so you can twist and crimp, with out breaking.... some times with a galvanized coating...that we used to seizing the ends of big ropes.

Favorite pliers in the industry....
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/hunter63/pl8sqr_1_zpsf0763cc9.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/hunter63/media/pl8sqr_1_zpsf0763cc9.jpg.html)

The tool could be made with a stick and a dowel.....but still a neat idea.

Too bad that kind of wire you buy, is usually pretty small, or hard to find these days.

Wildthang
02-24-2014, 11:39 AM
It looks like it would put more tension on the wire than just twisting the wire around itself, whick normally breaks the wire if you twist it too much!

hunter63
02-24-2014, 11:47 AM
You are correct, acts as a lever to pull tight with a straight wire rather that depending on the "twist" to pull tight.

Have to look at Menerds or hardware store for suitable wire, haven really seen it around...and am about out of the "borrowed" stuff I have left over from the plant......LOL

Wildthang
02-24-2014, 02:00 PM
You are correct, acts as a lever to pull tight with a straight wire rather that depending on the "twist" to pull tight.

Have to look at Menerds or hardware store for suitable wire, haven really seen it around...and am about out of the "borrowed" stuff I have left over from the plant......LOL

Yeah that tool will need a hardened wire!

hunter63
02-24-2014, 02:51 PM
Yeah that tool will need a hardened wire!

No, you will need soft wire, need torsion strength/pliability, not tensile or "hardness".

finallyME
02-25-2014, 12:09 PM
I like it! :) At $24 I would buy it.

By the way, my linesman pliers are the most used pliers I have. One of the best tools I ever bought. I bought them when I was a junior in High School taking an "electrical trades" class and needed them to twist electrical wires for housing.