PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: tent peg light

bulrush
04-07-2008, 09:49 AM
Last time I went camping, I had lots and lots of kids tripping over a tent pole tent stake in the dark. I'm looking for plans for a removable tent stake marker, either made with glow in the dark (GID) paint or an LED light. Anyone have any plans for something like this?

It should stay on the stake under high winds, which is the worst case scenario. It should also be waterproof (work in the rain).

Alpine_Sapper
04-07-2008, 02:39 PM
Last time I went camping, I had lots and lots of kids tripping over a tent pole tent stake in the dark. I'm looking for plans for a removable tent stake marker, either made with glow in the dark (GID) paint or an LED light. Anyone have any plans for something like this?

It should stay on the stake under high winds, which is the worst case scenario. It should also be waterproof (work in the rain).

Take a couple of chemlights and empty them out. Cut up a t-shirt, and soak it in the fluid. If you need it waterproof, wrap it in plastic. You need the 8 hour chem lights, and they won't be as bright, but hey, it'll get the job done. We used to use different colored chemlights on the main support of the tents for each squad when I was enlisted, but we also had a pretty good idea of where the lines for the tent ran, as well.

Alpine_Sapper
04-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Or, soak some absorbant cord in the chemlight fluid and wrap the guy lines with it. That way you can mark the lines and the pegs.

WildGoth
04-07-2008, 03:30 PM
they acually sell them at most surplus stores

crashdive123
04-07-2008, 06:13 PM
Bulrush - are you talking for a family outing, scout trip, back packing or car camping? If it's a family car camping trip (not a lengthy hike) bring along one or two of the solar lights used around gardens or paths as accent light. They don't weigh too much or take up too much room and the light they throw off should be bright enough to make it safe for the kids around the tents. Of couse if your camping site only gets filtered light, you may need to put them in an area of direct sunlight during the day.

bulrush
04-08-2008, 10:36 AM
This is for a scout trip, so I don't own the tent or pegs, and the kids are young and scatter brained. I'm thinking of painting the top half of a water bottle with glow paint. I mix my own so it's waterproof. And I could drop the plastic bottle top over the tent peg (the one that holds up the pole and sticks way away from the tent.)

I can't just paint the top of the tent peg, as hammering it in would quickly remove any paint on the top surface.

SGTD00m
04-11-2008, 05:11 PM
Have u thought about chem light lanterns just take an 8 hour chem light drop it in a bottle of water and the water reflects the chem light it is kind of like candle light. They are also handy to grab for when nature calls and u cant find your head light.

Tahyo
04-11-2008, 05:34 PM
Google "Glow in the dark adhesive tape" or variants of that phrase. Not sure how long it lasts, but that could be an idea.

Rick
04-11-2008, 06:52 PM
I think Tahyo has a pretty good idea with the tape.

http://www.identi-tape.com/hi-intensity.htm

A lot cheaper but less options:

http://www.rei.com/product/634417

BAKWOODS
04-13-2008, 01:48 AM
use those glow sticks that u put on your fishing rods after dark that you crak and they glow .last ages and cheap too.

BAKWOODS
04-13-2008, 01:49 AM
people today are indoors talking about the outdoors

Alpine_Sapper
04-13-2008, 10:12 AM
people today are indoors talking about the outdoors

I don't quite get the point.

Is this a reference to the way modern society has changed due to the Information Age, or is this a reference to the people on the board talking about wilderness survival via internet forum?

I can take my laptop in my daypack, and as long as I get wi-fi, I can take a break, and while we eat lunch look up some other relevant data as a refresher if I'm trying to teach my kid something, or identify something, or just check in with all the folks here.

How are you connecting?

BAKWOODS
04-17-2008, 05:12 AM
your way to deep for me sapper .i give up.

Alpine_Sapper
04-17-2008, 07:54 AM
your way to deep for me sapper .i give up.

wow...and here I thought it was a pretty straight forward question....:confused: