PDA

View Full Version : 5.11 tactical series

RandyRhoads
02-19-2014, 03:58 PM
Does anyone have experience with the 5.11 tactical tier system series of packs? I've been looking tediously for a combo that works for me. Right now I'm thinking the VTAC 72 hour with 10 hour MOAB tier attachment. The problem is I don't want it to be way more than I need, or way too little. I know that's kind of impossible as the size is mission/goal specific but...

What I'm looking for is a new medical bag. Down and dirty not a huge kit to preform field surgery. I want basic trauma things such as a couple small petroleum gauze, trauma pad, Tournequit, 1 liter IV bag+start kit, Bp, stethescope. I'm wanting it somewhat small like a throw bag attachable to a main pack for field use. That's why I thought using the Moab 10 would be good, but I really love this IV bag....

http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=01341

I'm wanting this pack combo for semi bug out, field use for rural fire, out of county strike teams (3-7days). Possible SAR use, and general travel pack. I'd also like to be able to use this for the JMT 211 mile thru hike this year but unsure if its suitable.

Any suggestions on this pack, a combo of wha size/hour main pack and Moab pack, or something else that fits my needs?

natertot
02-19-2014, 04:16 PM
All I've owned by 5.11 was two shirts and a pair of shorts. I paid $$$ for them and they didn't last at all. Very poor quality. Never tried anything else from them after that.

RandyRhoads
02-19-2014, 06:11 PM
I've been using 5.11 taclite ems pants for work and I've been amazed at the quality/ durability. I think they make low end stuff too. Polo casual shirts and shorts probably aren't built to be used rough.

RandyRhoads
02-21-2014, 11:58 PM
Really that's it.... No one...?

SlowRide13
02-22-2014, 01:14 AM
Personally, I like to be tactical on the inside, and look like a granola-eatin', peace-lovin' hiker/backpacker on the outside... so I've never bought anything even similar.

crashdive123
02-22-2014, 06:42 AM
Really that's it.... No one...?

No personal experience with one.

RandyRhoads
02-22-2014, 12:41 PM
Also looking for other options. I gave what I'm looking for, any other recommendations?

tjwilhelm
02-22-2014, 01:23 PM
Howdy Randy. I have that exact set! I love it. In my humble opinion, it seems very well made and rugged. Admittedly, I've not used it "in the bush," so to speak. Thus far I've only used the bags as "luggage" for travel, and packing gear for work.

They're a tad more expensive than I would normally pay; but, I managed to catch a sale at www.lapolicegear.com. If you go for these (you have my thumbs-up, for whatever it's worth) be sure to also order the 5.11 Tactical RUSH Tier System -- a set of four straps and connectors to piggy-back the MOAB sling bag onto the 72-Hour bag.

You probably don't need these; but, here are the lapolicegear links -- there are also videos and user reviews here:

http://www.lapolicegear.com/511-rush-tier-system.html

http://www.lapolicegear.com/511-tactical-rush-72-bag.html

http://www.lapolicegear.com/511-rush-moab-10.html

One comment about the 72-hour pack...it has an internal pack frame which is more in internal, molded, hard panel. It's nicely curved to fit your back on the outside; but, it curves inward on the inside of the main compartment. Thus, it's not a nice, flat, interior compartment. It's not really a problem. I just find it mildly annoying, sometimes, when I'm packing the bag.

RandyRhoads
02-22-2014, 01:34 PM
Excellent thanks! Ill probably get the 72+10 Moab then put my IV bag set up inside, unless I can attack it to the outside or Moab.

RandyRhoads
02-22-2014, 01:46 PM
Any experience with the medical pack they sell? Could it attach with the Moab or is it one or the other?

tjwilhelm
02-22-2014, 02:19 PM
I've not seen their medical pack...sorry, no feedback on that one.

RandyRhoads
02-25-2014, 02:26 PM
Ill probably get laughed at for this one but...

I really like them in black, but something keeps telling me noo it's not tactical or stealthy. Lol when would that really matter...but, I'm having trouble making a decision. What would you get, of would you even really care?

crashdive123
02-25-2014, 05:54 PM
Ill probably get laughed at for this one but...

I really like them in black, but something keeps telling me noo it's not tactical or stealthy. Lol when would that really matter...but, I'm having trouble making a decision. What would you get, of would you even really care?

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii67/crashdive123/Forum%20Fun/Laugh.gif (http://s261.photobucket.com/user/crashdive123/media/Forum%20Fun/Laugh.gif.html)http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii67/crashdive123/Forum%20Fun/Laugh.gif (http://s261.photobucket.com/user/crashdive123/media/Forum%20Fun/Laugh.gif.html)http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii67/crashdive123/Forum%20Fun/Laugh.gif (http://s261.photobucket.com/user/crashdive123/media/Forum%20Fun/Laugh.gif.html)http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii67/crashdive123/Forum%20Fun/Laugh.gif (http://s261.photobucket.com/user/crashdive123/media/Forum%20Fun/Laugh.gif.html)

Didn't know if that was a request or not.

As far as color - I don't think black is very stealthy unless it is only being used at night. Get what you like.....those that matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter.

RandyRhoads
02-25-2014, 06:52 PM
Hahaha laugh it up crash.

That's what I'm saying. Black isnt stealthy. But then again why do I need to be stealthy? Hunting is all I could think of. I like black. Black it is. Fashion drama. Hahaha

Rick
02-25-2014, 07:47 PM
Besides....black is slimming. Go for it.

natertot
02-25-2014, 07:57 PM
Besides....black is slimming. Go for it.

You mean "Besides....black is slimming. Go figure"!

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'll go back to my corner now.....

RandyRhoads
03-13-2014, 10:26 AM
Well I've been using the Moab 10 for a week and love it. So much it looks like its now my even day bag and ill still be needin to find a dedicated medical bag. Haven't got a chance to do anything with the rush 72 yet, but I looks very well made. And black is awesome. Haha.

But why'd you tell me to order the tier straps! It came with them now I have a useless extra set! Did you have to order yours separate?

tjwilhelm
03-13-2014, 11:15 AM
Bummer! Yes, I had to order mine separate. Sorry!

RandyRhoads
03-13-2014, 12:17 PM
Not your fault I doubt you did it out of hate haha. Thanks for the good review, I love it. Thinking I may need another Moab 10 for dedicated med bag. I just love it too much for EDC. Perfect compact size to take on the ambulance, holds water goodies etc...

Also I didn't know the 5.11 store is right next to my town until I saw it shipping from there. That's dangerous.

RandyRhoads
03-17-2014, 02:07 PM
About half way done with it. Still need to add the chinook IV bag somehow. Once I get close to done I will give a breakdown of what's inside and ask for tips and suggestions.

http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q754/WildernessMedic/EMS/photo-33_zpsc3c48658.jpg (http://s1357.photobucket.com/user/WildernessMedic/media/EMS/photo-33_zpsc3c48658.jpg.html)

Survive
03-20-2014, 07:23 AM
I have two rush 24 packs and a push pack... I love all of them the one 24 is 4 years old, I've used it incredibly hard and it shows very little where

RandyRhoads
03-20-2014, 07:44 AM
Does the 4 year old have any rugged field use or had it just sat around? Seriously debating using this as my pack for the JMT this year. Last year it was annoying having to move around all my crap to get to something. With this setup I can just put the more used stuff (compass, map, water, water filter) in the Moab.

If I take it then I have to decide weather to buy another set in all brown for the dirty trail, or ruin my pretty shiny black or haha

sjj
03-20-2014, 12:52 PM
Nice bags.

RandyRhoads
03-20-2014, 02:01 PM
I just received them and started putting in gear. Not even close to my pak weight but I did walk down the road with both. Super comfy. Then again so is most any pack not fully loaded.

I'm being a drama queen. I don't want to use the pretty new bag and mess it up. Thi k I'm gonna have to buy a brown set for actual field use.

sjj
03-20-2014, 03:02 PM
edited....

RandyRhoads
03-20-2014, 03:13 PM
Oh I will definitely do some full load pack tests first. Honestly I have one egged up back and I tend to pack upside down from most people and carry differently. Last year I used a ****ty ruck, I think this would be an upgrade minus the space. But, it would make me pack less and more efficiently. Like I said only frequently used stuff in the outside pack. Basically a camelback plus a pocket for lightweight items. So far these are just ideas, I still have 6 months before my start date to figure out what will work. If people can ultralight it in tiny packs I don't see why one of these packed right won't work. Seems to lay somewhere in between a full sized ruck and light pack.

Rdog
09-08-2014, 09:39 AM
I know this is an older thread, (and I'm a new guy) but I was wondering how these packs have been working out for you? What have you been using them for, whats your basic view of them now with some miles under them?

I have been looking for a new pack as of late, I love the stuff pocket idea of the Rush 72, however since its about the same size as my Camelbak BFM I just picked up I'd say the 72 is too large for what I want (basic AP day pack for urban/field). So overall I was interested in the Rush series quality, and your basic view of the system now you have used it some.

I'm still trying to work out the "perfect day pack for me". I think size wise I want something around 1400 cu in. (I'm guessing) I hear lots of good about the Rush 12...The Camelbak HAWG is right at 1400 cu in I believe...and there are so many other choices it makes my head hurt!

hayshaker
09-24-2014, 07:25 PM
i would think no offence bieing former airborne youd allready have this figured out
any how for what youwant to carry as by your list a condor rip-a-way med pouch is what you
might be looking for. you can molle it to the rush pack if needed it can be torn away from pack.
it also comes in a leg mount model.it,s like a blow out med pouch also can serve as a edc pouch as well.
WHAT FALLS OUT OF THE SKY TROOP.

wilderness medic
10-27-2014, 11:14 PM
First, the 101st hasn't been on jump status in over 40 years. Second I don't like the idea that my medical kit can come off easily with velcro. Might not be good hiking through tougher areas and brush.

I have been using the 5.11 Rush 72 and moab 10 for several months. It hasn't failed me. I love both bags, but the whole tier system isn't good for much beyond helping keep your two bags together in the car. Attached it can add a lot of weird weight too far back. I still use my MOAB 10 for EDC and day hikes throughout the forest. The RUSH 72 is still a perfect sized emergency bag for my vehicle and also contains all my essential medical gear for the fire department. I also load my rush 72 with up to 80 pounds of lead and water for my daily rucks. It hasn't failed or shown any signs of damage, but the daily rucks haven't been going on very long.

Tokwan
10-28-2014, 12:22 AM
I have a few Polo t's , a few round necks, a few those look like polyester t's , and about 9 pairs of pants..all tactical..a few pairs of socks, 1 desert color boots, 1 black jump boots and the sports shoes. 2 belts, a wallet and the PUSH bag...we have a local retailer in penang...

wilderness medic
10-28-2014, 12:28 AM
Tokwan, all 5.11? I was very skeptical of them at first. Anything that markets itself under the word "tactical" make me weary. But I have yet to have a single piece of 5.11 gear fail me. The closest i've come is a flashlight MOLLE pouch popping off once in a while.

I've always made fun of girlfriends and people in general for spending $60 on a pair of pants. I now wear nothing but 5.11 taclite pro pants for casual day to day stuff, as well as hiking. I used the taclite pro EMS pants for over 6 months, fell in love with them.

Tokwan
10-28-2014, 01:40 AM
Yep..all of them are 5.11 as we are on the subject. I actually wore a whole suit yesterday...I did have a pair of glasses, but lost them...couldn't recall where I placed them.

wilderness medic
10-28-2014, 01:43 AM
Yep..all of them are 5.11 as we are on the subject. I actually wore a whole suit yesterday...I did have a pair of glasses, but lost them...couldn't recall where I placed them.

Haha, whole suit like a flight suit, or taclite pro top and bottom? I tried the later, and looked like I was about to go on an African safari lol.

Tokwan
10-28-2014, 03:43 AM
Well..it is okay here cos I live in Malaysia the weather is humid...and I have a pair that used when ever I go terkking..I packed my pair of Columbia's in the bag as they require less space.

Rick
10-28-2014, 06:45 AM
You don't have to worry about the Rip-Away pouch falling off or being pulled off by branches or vines. It takes a pretty healthy pull to rip a 5x5 piece of velcro loose. However, it will come loose with that healthy pull saving valuable time.

wilderness medic
10-29-2014, 01:15 AM
You don't have to worry about the Rip-Away pouch falling off or being pulled off by branches or vines. It takes a pretty healthy pull to rip a 5x5 piece of velcro loose. However, it will come loose with that healthy pull saving valuable time.

How does that save valuable time rather than just taking what you need out of a regular pouch? In what scenario are you talking about Rick? Something like your car is sinking and you can't grab your whole bag...?

Tokwan
10-29-2014, 02:03 AM
I like using velcroed pouches and molles because it helps keeping things orderly and saves the time from rummaging the bag.

Rick
10-29-2014, 05:49 AM
I guess that depends on where you carry it and what kind of pouch you are using. I haven't as yet found a pouch that will carry as much as the Rip-Away and still be able to find what you need when you need it. It's the finding what you need part that I find a time savings.

wilderness medic
10-29-2014, 11:25 AM
I guess that depends on where you carry it and what kind of pouch you are using. I haven't as yet found a pouch that will carry as much as the Rip-Away and still be able to find what you need when you need it. It's the finding what you need part that I find a time savings.

I see what you mean, I checked it out. Opens up with the mesh organizer. Looks like a cool pouch. I can see it being easier to put on and find stuff.

Tokwan, me too. I was trying to think how velcro helps save time though. My medical side pouches can pop off in a second by simply undoing the MOLLE snaps. Although putting them back on wouldn't be as quick as just slapping it on.

Tokwan
10-29-2014, 09:00 PM
The velcro works faster and better than molles. Molles snap buttons tend to become weaker after a certain time and sometimes, its a pain tio get between the small slots to snap the buttons together. Velcro works best...wonder why I didn't invent Velcro in the first place?

hayshaker
11-02-2014, 07:15 AM
another thing too i like about the ripaway pouch is that it has so many uses. ie,basic ifak,GSWkit,basic survival pouch.
dental kit, and it has a strap that goes over the pouch to keep it from tearing away while going thru say thick brush.

to use say a couple of these on your pack it allows one to acess the most needed items first in a say trauma situation.
like your cat2,olaes bandages,epi-pen,NPA ,splints and so on.